Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a really cheap well-connected dedi with VT-x in Northern Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a really cheap well-connected dedi with VT-x in Northern Europe

edited May 2014 in Requests

Hello,

I am looking for a really cheap dedicated server in either of the following countries:

tier 1. Finland, Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania

tier 2. in a pinch, I could try Sweden, Poland or Romania

I need a dedicated server with support for hardware virtualization, so I can run virtual machines on it. I have experience with Xem and para-virtualization, but when RHEL/CentOS ditched Xen for KVM, I decided that KVM is the wave of the future and, after quite some deliberation, switched to KVM and libvirt. CPU power is nice to have (the more, the merrier) but I won't need too much of it.

I need a fast and reliable network, but I won't be pushing much traffic.

The Kimsufi servers, starting from 4,99€/mo. look attractive. 2c/4t Atom CPU and 2GB RAM are specs I could live with, but hardware virtualization only starts with 14,99€/mo Core i3, and they are in France. Can I have a cheaper provider with VT-x? (AMD-V? don't remember seeing AMD hardware in a while) Or maybe I should switch to Xen paravirtualization?

If you know VPS offers that fit these requirements (fast & reliable network, location), please share them too! Though my focus currently is on the dedi.

Comments

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

It would be easier for us to give you some offers if you had an exact budget.

With that being said, you're going to have a hard time finding anything as cheap as Kimsufi in Europe, simply because Kimsufi/OVH is the pinnacle of cheap dedis - you'll hardly find cheaper ones.

I think you'd be better off with a VPS considering your budget.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs
    The AMD E-350 server costs 14.4 to 18 EUR, the only benefit over OVH is 2xHDDs so you can do RAID.

http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-scg2
    This 10 EUR one allegedly supports VT, but has a generally slow CPU with just one core.

Nothing else comes to mind, and all of that aside, just get OVH. 15-20 EUR for the specs you get on their current Kimsufi offer is not expensive at all.

• rm_ said: just get OVH. 15-20 EUR for those specs is not expensive at all.

Excuse me, did you read what I've wrote? If I was ok with France and no VT, I would have picked an OVH. I thought I might get good deals closer to my target market (North-West Russia), that's why I am asking for a dedi/VPS in these specific countries; yours are both in France.

Also, I didn't quite figured out that Kimsufi/OVH "is the pinnacle of cheap dedis", so I thought I may have a chance to snag something better and cheaper. Now, if it means that all the other options I might find are bound to be more expensive than Kimsufi/OVH - I am eager to learn what options are there out there.

I'm sorry that I don't have a budget. Is a question along the lines of "which VPS and dedicated can I get for the lowest price, given these requirements?" not well-formed?

• rds100rds100 Member

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

North enough for you? Since Russia routes mostly through Frankfurt anyway.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

cybernetic_pony said: Excuse me, did you read what I've wrote?

Not really, just skimmed :P

cybernetic_pony said: given these requirements?

Your requirements are bizarre indeed. First you ask for a dedi with VT support (a very specific thing which is rather seldom happens to be combined with "cheap"), then suddenly, "oh, and actually just a single KVM VPS (which are dime a dozen in just about every European country) will do just fine".

In any case, I don't remember any sub-15 EUR dedis in Europe but not in France, let alone any that would have VT support.

• Get more money or deal with OVH, that simple