Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail & Web server on same VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail & Web server on same VPS

n1kkon1kko Member

I have a few VPS servers now all running centos with cPanel. I always host website and use mail from the same server and never had any issues, I don't really want anymore Vps servers but I see others using a separate VPS for mail. Does it really matter is my question?

Comments

• Should be fine, but you should have a backup MX server.

• n1kkon1kko Member

I have a backup server with backupsy and run backups for entire cPanel accounts everyday thanks

• trexostrexos Member

@n1kko said:
    I have a backup server with backupsy and run backups for entire cPanel accounts everyday thanks

Backup mx means that you have running a 2nd mailserver which receives the mails when srv1 is offline.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Yes sorry read it wrong

• trexostrexos Member

@n1kko said:
    Yes sorry read it wrong

no problem :)

I would suggest you to run your mailserver on a different vps/use a 2nd mailserver as backup mx server, because if your website goes down (don't know what you're hosting) you might want to notice customers/users about what's going on.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Thanks I'm only hosting a few sites mostly my own so don't really think I need a second mail server at the moment. Thanks for the advice