Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crissic VPS Having Packet Loss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crissic VPS Having Packet Loss

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,
My Crissic 2 GB VPS at Jacksonville is facing serious Packet Loss (in some locations 100% Packet Loss). Anyone also having the same ??

Thanks,
Mahfuz.

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

Open a ticket?

• When you have a packet loss, do the following:

1. See if any other locations are having a packet loss by using this tool: http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping.php
    2. If not, it's you.
    3. If so, traceroute to your IP and open a ticket with your traceroute and wait.
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@serverian said:
    When you have a packet loss, do the following:

1. See if any other locations are having a packet loss by using this tool: http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping.php
    2. If not, it's you.
    3. If so, traceroute to your IP and open a ticket with your traceroute and wait.

I tried that Link first :-P And after that posted here. Because, My Customer let me know about it. They might be having issues with Atrato ! I need to move then. Looking for a 2 GB VPS, 4 CPU Cores Access, 100GB Space, 4 TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbit/s Uplink, 2 IPv4's at $5-$6. Possible Anyone ??

@trexos said:
    Open a ticket?

Did Already. They keep it Pending.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • AcacyAcacy Member

in my box 0 packet loss Node OVZ05
    submit a tiket , they might fix it

• From http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping.php , I'm getting a bit of packet loss from Belgium, Germany, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Salt Lake City.

@Acacy said:
    in my box 0 packet loss Node OVZ05
    submit a tiket , they might fix it

I'm also on OVZ05 & facing serious packet loss from USA Side & from someareas it's 100%. Which monitoring you used to check the packet loss?

Thanks,
    Mahfuz.

• toshosttoshost Member, Host Rep

@ehostlab : 2 GB VPS, 4 CPU Cores Access, 100GB Space, 4 TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbit/s Uplink, 2 IPv4's at $5-$6.

pm me.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

Sorry for any delay, we are investigating this issue now. Any direct traceroutes showing the possible issue point is also very helpful.

@SkylarM said:
    Sorry for any delay, we are investigating this issue now. Any direct traceroutes showing the possible issue point is also very helpful.

Check @SkylarM Despite of being on the same node, @Acacy isn't having the issue. I can post My Sreenshot if you need. You can also note My IP from your WHMCS Area & can check yourself. Visitor is getting decreased, so I need fast steps with highest priority.

• taronyutaronyu Member

Why do people keep thinking LET is their personal helpdeks?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@ehostlab said:
    Check SkylarM Despite of being on the same node, Acacy isn't having the issue. I can post My Sreenshot if you need. You can also note My IP from your WHMCS Area & can check yourself. Visitor is getting decreased, so I need fast steps with highest priority.

If others aren't experiencing similar issues, it very well could be related to a firewall configuration issue within your VM. Being as he is on the same node as you, I'd be leaning more towards a firewall issue more than anything. I did disable CSF/LFD on your container and noticed minimal packet loss to a few locations (10% or so to ~3 locations) which I am able to replicate on a few other tests if ran a few times -- likely leading to a minor upstream issue or something related to the test site itself.

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited May 2014

Using that link above, mine came back with 10% packet loss from:

Brazil - Sao Paulo

India - Bangalore

India - Mumbai

Russia - Moscow

Russia - St. Petersburg

2nd run came back with 10% packet loss from:

Hungary - Budapest

Lithuania - Vilnius

Thailand - Bangkok

U.S.A. - Orlando

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@soulchief is that to a VPS with us or someone else?

• That's mine with you, no big deal for me because I'm not using it right now, just thought it may help. I'll pm you the ip of my vps.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@soulchief said:
    That's mine with you, no big deal for me because I'm not using it right now, just thought it may help. I'll pm you the ip of my vps.

Of course, I appreciate it.

To anyone having issues, or anyone interested in helping toss me a PM. The website used shows packet loss, but we don't have any routes or hops to really see WHERE the packet loss is. I cannot narrow down the issue from my end, so more data with MTR's to our network from external sources would be of tremendous help. Curious to see if it's something with the site itself, or if it's an actual upstream issue somewhere that we can report with appropriate data.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2014

@taronyu said:
    Why do people keep thinking LET is their personal helpdeks?

It is a valid question, but sometimes there are good reasons to post an issue on a public forum. Sometimes I am struggling with a problem and trying to troubleshoot it myself.

• I may want to know whether something I did is the root cause, such as misconfiguring my system. If many people share the same issue at the same time, then it is unlikely that I caused it myself.

• It helps to have friends who may have seen something similar, and can suggest ways to isolate the root cause of the problem or fix it.

• I hate to open a ticket and use up valuable provider resources and goodwill for something dumb. At times, a forum may be the best place to turn to get new ideas. Of course, it helps if you contribute when you know the answer to someone else's problem.

It reminds me of when I was in college. As students, we often helped each other in a large common room to solve our homework problems. That way, we didn't have to bother the professor for help, only to find that we had forgotten something very basic. Still, the professor was available (just like opening a ticket) when all other self-help and group-help solutions failed.

Bottom line: The OP may simply want to know whether their packet loss problem is isolated to their VPS, or common to other customers, too.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

Bit of an update to this, tinet has been notified of issues relating to connectivity. We do believe this to be the root cause of issues at the moment.

• @SkylarM said:
    Bit of an update to this, tinet has been notified of issues relating to connectivity. We do believe this to be the root cause of issues at the moment.

Not sure if you still need it or not, but from my Seattle VPS i'm getting 11% packet loss:

PING 162.220.11.*** (162.220.11.***) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=88.3 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=89.6 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=89.0 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=89.7 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=5 ttl=54 time=88.2 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=6 ttl=54 time=92.2 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=7 ttl=54 time=94.4 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=8 ttl=54 time=87.6 ms
    ^C
    --- 162.220.11.*** ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 8 received, 11% packet loss, time 8046ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 87.628/89.921/94.456/2.173 ms

Not much, but thought it might help :)

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@skybucks100 said:
    Not much, but thought it might help :)

We are pretty sure it's upstream issues which we have reported, but can you PM me a traceroute just so I know the routing on that?

• @SkylarM said:

Oh, actually, it looks like it's fixed now! Thank you! :)

• @skybucks100 said:

I noticed something changed as well in last 30 minutes, the pings from my monitoring script went from 81ms average to 59ms average.

• @soulchief said:

Yup, same here. My pings from Dallas went from ~70ms to ~30ms, and varies other locations dropped down ~10ms. Looks like it's all fixed now.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@skybucks100 said:

Same routing, or different now? We did make some changes on our router as well, but Atrato is currently offline so it is likely taking a different route.

For those interested, the connectivity issues do appear to be related to our handoff with Atrato, which we are working to replace that optic on both ends. Tinet has been a bit iffy earlier today as well but seems stable now.

• @SkylarM said:

Hm, my packetloss is back now? Weird, here's my traceroute (RamNode Seattle):

traceroute to 162.220.11.*** (162.220.11.***), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  * * *
     2  ae0-132.sea23.ip4.tinet.net (173.241.128.121)  7.819 ms  9.460 ms  9.473 ms
     3  xe-8-2-0.atl11.ip4.tinet.net (141.136.109.201)  85.799 ms  85.800 ms  85.784 ms
     4  db-transit-gw.ip4.tinet.net (77.67.79.246)  91.804 ms  91.819 ms  91.804 ms
     5  199.48.166.250 (199.48.166.250)  91.709 ms  91.784 ms  91.842 ms
     6  107.150.0.9 (107.150.0.9)  91.693 ms  91.617 ms  91.593 ms
     7   (162.220.11.***)  91.662 ms  91.893 ms  91.837 ms

It seems to be off and on, which is pretty strange...

PING 162.220.11.*** (162.220.11.***) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=91.7 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=91.6 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=91.7 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=4 ttl=58 time=91.9 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=5 ttl=58 time=92.0 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=6 ttl=58 time=91.6 ms
    64 bytes from 162.220.11.***: icmp_seq=7 ttl=58 time=91.6 ms
    ^C
    --- 162.220.11.*** ping statistics ---
    8 packets transmitted, 7 received, 12% packet loss, time 7029ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 91.638/91.763/92.010/0.419 ms

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@skybucks100 said:

yeah tinet has been acting up a bit lately. We've sent them a few reports. MOST of the issues today have been Atrato bound though.

• @SkylarM said:
    yeah tinet has been acting up a bit lately. We've sent them a few reports. MOST of the issues today have been Atrato bound though.

Hm, strange. Have either of them said anything about it/or given an ETA?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@skybucks100 said:

Atrato we have a solution in-progress. Tinet I am not sure of as I do not have direct contact with them as they are part of the DC blend we pick up. Can you do a traceroute from the VPS to your Ramnode VPS? Return path would be useful as well.

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited May 2014

Response time is still faster then before, but just had a 60% packet loss 10 minutes ago (5 sent, 2 received) from my monitoring system (INIZ vps in Los Angeles).

The packet loss showed me I had a display bug though, so happy to have that fixed lol.