Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need LEB 256MB/5GB/unmetered vps --- Tor relay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need LEB 256MB/5GB/unmetered vps --- Tor relay

vpsHuntervpsHunter Member
edited May 2014 in Requests

Pls pm your offers.

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

What use?

• @1e10 said:
    What use?

Tor relay

• Great deal but Tor is not allowed.

• vpsHuntervpsHunter Member
    edited May 2014

Now these threads are very good. I'm going through them and checking AUPs. Will revert back with outcome.
    Thanks David

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@vpsHunter go with CatalystHost i am running on the 1Gbit unlimited promo a Tor Relay since months: https://portal.catalysthost.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=69

• @Infinity580 said:
    vpsHunter go with CatalystHost i am running on the 1Gbit unlimited promo a Tor Relay since months: https://portal.catalysthost.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=69

Can share your experience with 96MB for a tor relay?

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited May 2014

@vpsHunter said:

Well this guy was running it on a router and said not over 25mb, but his router didn't have enough so it ran out.
    http://blog.hajma.cz/2014/02/running-tor-relay-on-tp-link-tl-wr741nd.html

This guy ran it on 72mb of RAM:
    http://www.consumedconsumer.org/2012/10/linux-tor-relay-on-pentium-75.html

(sorry if some details are inaccurate.. skimming)

Worst comes to worst I'm sure you can upgrade your plan and apply the rest of the unused credit to new service with Catalyst.

I might have to give away my IPXcore 32mb box for one of those yearlys. :P

@vpsHunter Its running well, i dont remember that it crashed otherwise just install a restart script.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

96MB can't do many mbps on a relay. But well, $1/month, so...

• trexostrexos Member
    edited May 2014

@Nyr said:
    96MB can't do many mbps on a relay. But well, $1/month, so...

Yeah, had this package. Don't do it. After a few weeks it will crash. I've been running a 1,5MB/s Tor relay on a 256MB VPS and it uses with debian 7 minimal about 231MB!

edited May 2014

just limit it to 1MB/s, its 3TB and 1Gbit is FaireUse at Catalysthost so you dont abuse and i wont crash. For 12$ per Year dam cheap Tor relay and nice working.

Pushed 824GB in 24 Days not that bad and uses only 45MB Memory.

edited May 2014

Deployed one relay with rack.sx 128MB unmetered bw vps 12$/year. So far seems stable. Looks like ovh doesn't allow tor nodes.

• trexostrexos Member

@vpsHunter said:
    Deployed one relay with rack.sx 128MB unmetered bw vps 12$/year. So far seems stable. Looks like ovh doesn't allow tor nodes.

But nobody cares actually. Just used 4TB bandwidth with OVH for my TOR relay.

• @trexos said:

Oh that is sweet. I will try to get a deal with OVH but they are really hard to catch.

• http://zionvps.com/ca.html

if you still need. shoot me a pm for custom deal

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited June 2014

@trexos said:

@vpsHunter said:
    Oh that is sweet. I will try to get a deal with OVH but they are really hard to catch.

My understanding is that OVH will look into your node if you push 25TB out per month by completely using your dedicated 100Mbps port. At this point, if they find out you're running a Tor relay, chances are that they will shut your node down.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

iceTwy said: My understanding is that OVH will look into your node if you push 25TB out per month by completely using your dedicated 100Mbps port.

What is the basis for this "understanding"?

At this point, if they find out you're running a Tor relay, chances are that they will shut your node down.

Clearly you have not read their ToS, Tor is mentioned there, along with IRC, VPN and Proxy (I'll leave it to you to find out for yourself what it says about all of those! hint: not forbidding)

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@rm_ said:
    Clearly you have not read their ToS, Tor is mentioned there, along with IRC, VPN and Proxy (I'll leave it to you to find out for yourself what it says about all of those! hint: not forbidding)

If I recall correctly, the ToS mention that you need OVH's permission to run those services. As for the 25TB figure, that's from talking to William.

• rm_ said: Clearly you have not read their ToS, Tor is mentioned there, along with IRC, VPN and Proxy (I'll leave it to you to find out for yourself what it says about all of those! hint: not forbidding)

Of course, you're allowed to do that, but if something bad happens...

However a relay should be fine ^.^

For security reasons, OVH reserves the right to proceed with the immediate suspension without notice,of any server on which there is a public service Proxy, IRC, VPN or TOR which is available free of charge or for a fee, and for which OVH has knowledge of its fraudulent or illegal misuse.

http://www.kimsufi.com/en/termsofservice/special_conditions_kimsufi_server_rental.pdf

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited June 2014

iceTwy said: If I recall correctly, the ToS mention that you need OVH's permission to run those services.

This is from an old (ancient) ToS, so... try again.

iceTwy said: As for the 25TB figure, that's from talking to William.

1) that was on a VPS, not dedi
    2) ...on a VPS which had 10 TB bandwidth limit (then 1 Mbit/sec), as per its plan; while dedis are unmetered;
    3) ...not even terminated, just suspended for suspicion of having been "hacked", with a way to resume using the VPS by reinstalling it from scratch, without incurring any other penalty.

i.e. you are wrong on all accounts, please just stop spreading misinformation already.

• @rm_ Can you share your experience about some providers for running TOR relays or exit nodes?

Thanked by 1xDutchy
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2014

Yea, i got 25TB out of it (and the tor deamon still runs with 100Mbit as their rescue auto started it for some reason, i just don't have any access besides ftp in this image and can't boot normal, only reinstall) (EDIT: Now it seems the VPS has been stopped)

• @zionvps provided me a custom plan with nice price tag for Canada based tor relay. Thanks. Still need more offers from different countries.

vpsHunter said: Can you share your experience about some providers for running TOR relays or exit nodes?

I do not run exit nodes, and prefer not to over-advertise providers which allow saturating the port and CPU 24x7; screaming from the rooftops "heeeeey guys, here you get true unmetered for peanuts" ends up in an influx of new users who came specifically for that, and in "good times" ending pretty rapidly for everyone.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
    edited June 2014

@rm_ said:
    I do not run exit nodes, and prefer not to over-advertise providers which allow saturating the port and CPU 24x7; screaming from the rooftops "heeeeey guys, here you get true unmetered for peanuts" ends up in an influx of new users who came specifically for that, and in "good times" ending pretty rapidly for everyone.

Thanks for your advice. but sometimes we need to share.

I have deployed many relays after the OP and found some flexible providers and deals mainly from LET.

The best relay gives amazing throughput;

$free -m

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 128 104 23 0 0 26

$vnstat -q

daily

rx | tx | tot | avg. rate

---------------------------+--------------+--------------+--------------

yesterday 109.62 GiB | 110.30 GiB | 219.92 GiB | 21.35 Mbit/s