Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaxMind - reliable ???????
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaxMind - reliable ???????

LeoKLeoK Member

I have noticed alot of incorrect reporting from MaxMind. Reporting FRAUD that is rarely accurate. I have tried to contact them about this and get no response. Does anyone else seem to have these problems?

Comments

• They have a high fraud detection rate, although many complain about the high false positive rate. Like antiviruses, do you want to catch every 10th virus, but have 0% false positives or 100% catch rate with 10% false positive.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • I have the same problem with @LeoK, when i try to register VPS from ..., i decided to cancel it.

• My history with them has been maybe 3 false positives in the history of the reporting! Ive been very happy with the accuracy, but it has had some hiccups, used it even manually via the website too for some random checks for other eComm that seemed funny not just in WHMCS - Worth it for sure! Better safe than sorry!

• ipxadamipxadam Member

We use MaxMind to automatically flag orders as fraud, then at our leisure we also check against FraudRecord. There are a few people a month that complain about MaxMind blocking their order but its easy enough to set the order back to pending to allow it. Most of the time orders are blocked because their GeoIP does not match the info entered when creating an account. This is acceptable behavior of MaxMind because we do not allow orders via proxy.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

This will hurt innocent folks all the time, but fault with real fraud. Worst American innovation in action

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • smansman Member
    edited May 2014

It's almost useless imho. I turned it off after too many false positives. The last thing you want to do is label a legit customer as fraud when you are trying to make a first impression. Manual verify and you can just as easily check a lot of the things Maxmind checks with little effort without pissing off your new sign ups.

If you clearly state on your website that you manually verify orders I doubt you will lose orders you might have gotten with instant activation. You will also discourage some of those scammers that try sign up on Friday afternoons with stolen paypal accounts and credit card numbers.

Thanked by 2Corey Mark_R
  • awsonawson Member

Their IP geolocation is pretty great, but minFraud is fucking bullshit

• mikegmikeg Member

@LeoK said:
    I have noticed alot of incorrect reporting from MaxMind. Reporting FRAUD that is rarely accurate. I have tried to contact them about this and get no response. Does anyone else seem to have these problems?

As a provider or a customer? How do you know they are inaccurate?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@mikeg said:
    As a provider or a customer? How do you know they are inaccurate?

I got flagged many times by maxmind just because I forgot to turn off my vpn.. it doesn't matter if the information you fill in is legit or not it is using basic IP checks. This is not going to stop real frauds.

I can understand that some big companies use this system because they have too many orders to manually check but it is like @sman said, it will irritate potential customers that get flagged as fraud while they use legit information. calling someone a fraud based on a simple IP lookup isn't nice.

• mikegmikeg Member

@Mark_R said:
    I can understand that some big companies use this system because they have too many orders to manually check but it is like sman said, it will irritate potential customers that get flagged as fraud while they use legit information. calling someone a fraud based on a simple IP lookup isn't nice.

As a provider, maxmind is a necessity for us, along with FraudRecord. Unfortunately I do not have the time to manually sift through all orders and check whether or not I believe the order is fraudulent.

When fraud orders get past maxmind, which still happens. It is a serious pain to deal with people who think it is ok to DDoS or send SPAM from our servers. Whether they have just wasted a few TB of bandwidth in a few minutes, or have managed to blacklist an IP.

Most of the time, if someone is flagged as fraud, and they are actually a legitimate customer, they will open a support ticket and ask us what happened. I have no problem discussing the issue with them.

Maxmind does not know whether you are ordering over a VPN, however it can check for anonymous proxy, which we enable. Also if your country does not match the country you are ordering from, your order will not go through.

Maxmind helps a great deal to keep our network clean.

• awsonawson Member

@mikeg fraud != abuse

What's stopping a customer that passes the "fraud check" from abusing your services?

Most of the time, if someone is flagged as fraud, and they are actually a legitimate customer, they will open a support ticket and ask us what happened. I have no problem discussing the issue with them.

Or they will just find another provider. You may be helping prevent abuse, but you're also throwing away legitimate customers.

Thanked by 1fitvpn
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Maxmind has always been great for me, has got rid of plenty of dodgy customers - a few false positives but these can always be resolved via a ticket.

It is definitely worth it.

• mikegmikeg Member
    edited May 2014

@awson the false positives have been extremely low to non existent for us. So it is a worthwhile risk for us to loose a few customers and prevent lots of dangerous ones.

There is nothing preventing them from abusing our services, however if they do we will report them so they cannot order from any other providers. Providers need to work together.

• mikegmikeg Member

One dangerous customer can crash a node and cause issues for all legitimate customers on that node, you do NOT want that. If you are a legitimate customer, open a ticket and ask for a review.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

I got flagged several times with different providers,even use a real data and IP, than just skip and find another provider, never open a ticket. If provider trying bust subscriber from the start, its not a good way to trust them, just trash and find another one. Many competitors around, if provider don't want my money I gave to other. That's market rules. I find a way for now how to skip MaxMad checking with success :)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

I don't think that the real frauds who intent to cause heavy damage will be blocked by maxmind, they ain't that stupid, they know how basic this system is and how to bypass it while looking legit in the process. I find FraudRecord a much better system but this system only works if all providers work together to report the people who damage their services.

My first time ordering a VPS I got blocked by maxmind because I had my vpn enabled in my router for privacy & security reasons, they marked my order as Fraud and I had no idea what Maxmind was at that time. It really offended me on how it labels you as fraud while you have no bad intentions at all and fill in all details correctly and honest. this is obviously the reason of why I left that provider and went with the competition.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I used to swear by it, however it has proven to be just plain stupid at times so I now have it at a fairly low level i.e. it will have a very good reason to flag you e.g. your billing address is UK and your IP is in Russia, I block orders from open proxies etc too.

I turned off phone verification a year ago because it simply does not work and they refuse to fix it.

Using common sense, maxmind on low settings and fraudrecord has been the best method for me.