Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Storage Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Storage Server

duyan13duyan13 Member
edited May 2014 in Requests

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap storage server, I am using for for storing client side encrypted data ... ( Going to start a small "dropbox" ).

It should perform good since large files ( max. size for each file is like 500MB ) are getting downloaded or uploaded...

And I also prefer KVM virtualization ...

Do you can recommend me some providers ? ( The vps is going to be a cluster in a glusterfs network )

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

backupsy?

• duyan13duyan13 Member

@trexos said:
    backupsy?

I think it is mainly used for backups ? And the ram seems to be "low" for a storage server ... ( I think its fine for a backup server )

• impimp Member

What is your budget?

• duyan13duyan13 Member

@imp said:
    What is your budget?

10-20 USD/month ( per vps since its just one cluster )

• What are the requirements for RAM, HDD?

• duyan13duyan13 Member

@ngstargate said:
    What are the requirements for RAM, HDD?

RAM: 1GB ( or 2GB if possible )
    HDD: 250GB ( 500GB if possible )
    Connection : 1Gbps

• Just waiting for my breakfast.

• impimp Member

I would suggest you to contact a provider and get a custom package.

Thanked by 1iriO
  • wojonswojons Member

@duyan13 said:
    Connection : 1Gbps

I hate to be the guy that says you should go with online.net for this project. not that @serverian backupsy is not amazing but there are loads of things to think about when offering storage services. Compression and encryption are 2 very good examples that will love to eat your cpu for breakfast. With online.net you wont get the gigbit connection but you will at least be able to hit about 150mbs all the time assuming they have not changed.

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedicated-server-overview-perso

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited May 2014

I don't know why you need that large RAM but here's my box for glusterfs cluster.

500MB, 500GB, 5TB, KVM, storing attachments for 2 large forums remotely with 2 glusterfsd processes serving the file system, while an extra nginx process running to serve files directly to users acting as a cdn.

Actual usage is 2TB/mon bandwidth, 150 of 500MB memory usage, load average < 0.1, $20/mon.

EGIHosting.

And if you don't need that much bandwidth, backupsy is good enough to run a glusterfs cluster for up to 1TB/mon bandwidth, just make sure talking with their support and see if it's acceptable with your usage. They said it's totally OK given IO is < 50KB/s and load is < 0.1 etc.

Thanked by 1duyan13
  • duyan13duyan13 Member

I think I am going to widen my budget and will buy a kimsufi/soyoustart instead of.

Thank you for your suggestions..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Surprised no one recommended buyvm.net

They fit exactly what you specified.