Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quest for the Ultimate LEB script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quest for the Ultimate LEB script

zserozsero Member
edited May 2012 in General

First of all, let me thank this community for showing me the world of low end boxes. I've just bought my first 128MB low end box from the minivps sale for 10 pounds per year, as I couldn't resist the deal! At the moment everything is so new, I'll have a lot of things to learn.

But configuring my own server at the other end of the world seems fun! So I started looking for the ultimate LEB script (for Debian 6) but as I don't have enough experience in configuring servers, I've spend my first day reviewing different LEB scripts.

Here are the result of my finding.
The official LEB script is now over a year old. It is not maintained and was made for Debian 5.
https://github.com/lowendbox/lowendscript

By looking for alternatives, I've found github's fork network to be the place with the most useful information.
https://github.com/lowendbox/lowendscript/network

From the forks, I found the two most well done and recently updated ones to be ilevkov's and Darknight670's.
https://github.com/ilevkov/lowendscript
https://github.com/Darknight670/lowendscript

Also, I found TigersWay's alternative approach from this forum, but it seems not mature enough yet, as by running the script I've lost all SSH connection to my box, so it'll need some more work (in other scripts they've documented some bug for setting SSH ports other than 22). Also, it misses update && upgrade as well as it is not as refined as the abose scripts yet. On the other hand it's structure is nice and produces nice interactive colored output.
https://github.com/TigersWay/VPS

So far I'm trying to understand the differences between ilevkov's and Darknight670's scripts. I've made a colored comparison here (after ordering the elements in Darknight's script to match): link

Can you please comment on what section should I choose from which script? At the moment, I really prefer ilevkov's version except for the following:
1. Disabling dotdeb for mysql, why?
2. I don't understand the highly refined PHP optimisations. Are they recommended for a general installation?
3. Lot of fastcgi optimisations in nginx install, are they recommended for a general installation?
4. missing wordpress
5. mirrors should be not hard coded, but selected by netselect-apt

Alternatively, I've started a piratepad based on ilevkov's version (removed the mysql non-dotdeb part), as an alternative approach to the github fork's now. Feel free to edit any change you feel (it's editable by anyone):
http://piratepad.net/lebscript
or plain-file

It's just my idea, but if anyone edits bits in this piratepad from this forum, we can end up with a really good lebscript!

Thanked by 1bachir

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

There's loads of these setup scripts floating around these days.
    Creating another one is all good and fine, but there's probably one that already suits you just fine at the moment.
    I have my favourites, of course.

For CentOS, @dmmcintyre3's scripts are awesome.
    Uses the Atomic repo, so things are always up to date. Insanely optimised as well.
    https://freevps.us/downloads/nginx-centos-6.sh

For Debian based distros, I use Tuxlite.com's scripts.
    Feature rich, and works great every time.
    Also, it uses the DotDeb repo, which you wanted :p

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2012

Thanks for this tips, I didn't know about Tuxlite.com. Do you recommend using them over LEB scripts?

In point 1. of the FAQ it says the following:

1. How much memory do I need to use TuxLite scripts? Why is my memory consumption so high?

TuxLite scripts are recommended for Xen/KVM/Virtuozzo VPS with 256MB and above but will install fine even on 96MB. A fresh install with either LAMP or LNMP will consume no more than 70MB. I strongly advice against using OpenVZ based VPS from any provider because memory accounting on OpenVZ is "broken" and will use >500MB for the scripts. Most OpenVZ providers also do not have proper Debian 6/Ubuntu OS templates, causing all sorts of install errors and abduction of cute kittens all around the world.

Is it serious, or I shouldn't be worried because of this? I am on a 128 MB OpenVZ machine at the moment.

• @zsero said: Alternatively, I've started a piratepad based on ilevkov's version (removed the mysql non-dotdeb part), as an alternative approach to the github fork's now. Feel free to edit any change you feel (it's editable by anyone):

http://piratepad.net/lebscript
    or plain-file

It's just my idea, but if anyone edits bits in this piratepad from this forum, we can end up with a really good lebscript!

You can find tons of good and not always good scripts to install/maintain your VPS. Tons because most of them are dead, obsolete, or simply do not provide any kind of issue management :-)

@zsero said: Also, I found TigersWay's alternative approach from this forum, but it seems not mature enough yet, as by running the script I've lost all SSH connection to my box, so it'll need some more work (in other scripts they've documented some bug for setting SSH ports other than 22). Also, it misses update && upgrade as well as it is not as refined as the abose scripts yet

Quite some people download it every day, I even know some of them :-) so I am of course a little bit surprised. But please, I am preparing the next version and I'd like to read your comments/issues.

• vahevahe Member
    edited May 2012

@zsero said: Is it serious, or I shouldn't be worried because of this? I am on a 128 MB OpenVZ machine at the moment.

It's mysql with InnoDB and PHP-fpm that uses a lot of memory. You'd probably need to disable InnoDb and reduce php-fpm servers after the installation.

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2012

OK, I've just finished installing using TuxLite, but modified MySQL with:

skip-innodb

default-storage-engine=MyISAM

key_buffer = 8M

query_cache_size = 0

Upon startup, I see the following:

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 131072 37984 93088 0 0 21928
    -/+ buffers/cache: 16056 115016
    Swap: 131072 0 131072

@vahe, what do you mean by reducing php-fpm servers?
    Should I remove some from this line?

Configure PHP. Recommended to leave PHP_BASE unchanged

You may safely remove all the modules in PHP_EXTRAS
    PHP_BASE="php5-fpm php5-common php5-suhosin php-apc php5-mysql php5-dev"
    PHP_EXTRAS="php5-memcache php5-curl php5-mcrypt php5-xsl php5-gd php5-imagick php5-pspell php5-snmp php5-xmlrpc"

@TigersWay
    I got locked up because I entered nothing for the IP range. I could remove the ip limit line from serial, but I still couldn't log in by SSH. I think it happened because of the issue written on Darknight's readme:

When running the iptables install you must specify a SSH port to allow (22 is the default). Future support will allow xinetd.d to use an alternate port for SSH. However, for now port 22 is all that works with this script and xinetd.d.

• AsadAsad Member

Anyone else hate that a lot of providers don't provide minimal install linux distributions?

• @AsadHaider said: Anyone else hate that a lot of providers don't provide minimal install linux distributions?

I do! That's why I gave a try on a "minimizer" in my scripts :-P

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited May 2012

@zsero said: I got locked up because I entered nothing for the IP range. I could remove the ip limit line from serial, but I still couldn't log in by SSH. I think it happened because of the issue written on Darknight's readme:

There is no iptable stuff in my own scripts, so I don't think so.
    You entered "nothing" for the IP range; maybe I should then display/remind the xinetd man page and its "only_from" option. "Nothing" should at least be "0" I guess.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@AsadHaider said: Anyone else hate that a lot of providers don't provide minimal install linux distributions?

I know of only one provider that provides an actual minimal (Debian) installation: RAM Host.

On first use, you log in through the shell dropper to install an sshd.

• vrillusionsvrillusions Member
    edited May 2012

I've just been making my own as I go along. read the setup scripts just to see what they do but do them by hand or put the commands to run in a local file before copying them over so you have a worklog you can use later.

here's my approach (ubuntu). As you can see I create a separate script for each task even if it's as simple as adding a PPA. Still need to make an init script that does the initial things like trimming out some packages, installing others, creating my username and locking down ssh, etc.

(edit) I guess another way to put it is there's no perfect leb script that will work for everyone, you'll have to tailor it to your needs. Hence probably your best bet is to just copy the commands into a file as you're running them, or just cat ~/.bash_history afterwards

• jcalebjcaleb Member

thanks zsero! i have my own scripts too based on a lot of scripts floating around. usually, you need to customize your own script to suit your particular need. not all people have the same taste. i'll look at this script for tips on how i could improve mine =)

• Not sure if you've seen my scripts but take a look, they're linked in my signature :)

Thanked by 2zsero Thorin
  • RophRoph Member
    edited May 2012

I'll second maxexcloo's minstall, I've used it for all of my LEBs, and just used it today to re-do a BuyVM 128m that went down in flames. Works great :)

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

yes, minstall is very comprehensive! highly recommended

• zserozsero Member

maxelcoo, this is an absolutely amazing script! WOW!
    one question: if I want dropbear should I replace the install-ssh with install-dropbear? Is there anything bad about installing dropbear?
    about mirrors: is it safe to use the local mirrors instead of the us ones?

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2012

@maxelcoo, the dropbear install didn't work for me, as I tried it after openssh install, following the readme. Is it either install-ssh OR install-dropbear?

Opened an issue here:
    https://github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall/issues/5

• zserozsero Member

OK, i could clean it up, by removing all packages and installing dropbear only. I'd recommend asking the user to select openssh or dropbear in some way!

Just a question: if I'm supposed to delete the script, how do I add hosts later? The add-host functionality is really useful in this script!

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

tuxlite.com ftw. Matt is an awesome guy too (the owner)

• @zsero said: Just a question: if I'm supposed to delete the script, how do I add hosts later? The add-host functionality is really useful in this script!

Personally I just download the script again and add the hosts as needed, you can always keep the script :)

• zserozsero Member

@maxecloo, just a few questions:
    1. Just a recommendation: can you make install-ssh to ask if I would like to install OpenSSH or Dropbear, and then starts install-openssh or install-dropbox, to avoid situations like I've experienced?
    2. Do you know any Wordpress install script, what is compatible with your host structure?
    3. What do I need to modify to redirect to non-www instead of www?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@zsero use lea script as basis for wordpress install.

• SimplyfastSimplyfast Member
    edited May 2012

1. Disabling dotdeb for mysql, why?
    2. I don't understand the highly refined PHP optimisations. Are they recommended for a general installation?
    3. Lot of fastcgi optimisations in nginx install, are they recommended for a general installation?
    4. missing wordpress
    5. mirrors should be not hard coded, but selected by netselect-apt

Hi ZSERO,

I am "ilevkov" on github, let me answer your questions:
    1. Latest Dotdeb MySQL package may cause errors on Debian 6 and latest NGINX, so I prefer to use previous (non-dotdeb) version, which works flawlessly.
    2. PHP optimisations are for general (128MB VPS) installation indeed, including Suhosin configuration for proper MySQL usage, officially recommended by MySQL. APC was configured not to eat much RAM, but still make sites load quicker, of course, consider increasing cache size (apc.shm_size) if you host moderate-heavy PHP site. "Upload" and "post_max_size" is up to your needs.
    3. Fast CGI optimisations for NGiNX are PHP-FPM standard with some minor tunings and security protections, wich does not affect daily usage but make your sites safer.
    4. I personally don't use WP. If you've managed to set up VPS, you're fine installing Wordpress :)
    5. Sorry, didn't get this part. Nothing is hard coded, I prefer manually change mirrors, so I don't use netselect.

Thank you.

P.S
    This script was tested on latest Debian 6 regular and minimal templates using BUYVM 128MB VPS.

Thanked by 2zsero dantes
  • manmamanma Member
    edited May 2012

Looks like the TigerVPS script uses A LOT more RAM by default than most of the old LES scripts. I'm going to try out minstall later tonight.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I'm running MySQL on my old LES script box, while the TigerVPS one isn't.

• @manma said: Looks like the TigerVPS script uses A LOT more RAM by default than most of the old LES scripts

Care to give us an htop screenshot / your list of process ?

• manmamanma Member
    edited May 2012

!(http://i.imgur.com/ar3ln.png)
    It might just be transmission now that I think about it.

• Seems to be at least an important part of that memory usage, yes :-) Difficult to get more into details.

Care to share why sshd and not dropbear (normally installed with the original LEA or with my own scripts) ?

• manmamanma Member

@TigersWay said: Care to share why sshd and not dropbear (normally installed with the original LEA or with my own scripts) ?

I couldn't figure out how to get my public/private key setup with it. There's literally no documentation for dropbear.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

for public/private thing, better if you use openssh

• @manma said: I couldn't figure out how to get my public/private key setup with it. There's literally no documentation for dropbear.

I have to disagree with that, even if I would easily admit there is less, a lot less docs/study cases then with openssh.
    I am anyway trying to get my head around a way to document my scripts; next time try to really use it, and give me your feedback.

• vahevahe Member

@zsero said: @vahe, what do you mean by reducing php-fpm servers?

You need to edit the php-fpm config file(most probably located in /etc/php-fpm.d/www.conf on CentOS 5 or /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf on Debian). Reduce the number or pm.max_children, pm.start_servers, pm.min_spare_servers and pm.max_spare_servers. Your might also want to uncomment pm.max_requests = 500 line.