Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating/Portable IP's on an OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating/Portable IP's on an OpenVZ?

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited September 2011 in General

Hi everyone,

So I've been spending quite a bit of my time this week coding on our stallion control panel and was thinking, do you think there would be interest in providing locking, floating/portable IP's in an OpenVZ enviroment?

Users could either:

A) purchase a floating IP
B) just mark an IP as floating

we're not sure which to do, but will likely include it as a value added feature. Users would then get a proper bridged interface that they would be able to hook their portable IP's to. IP's would be locked to their instance so they wouldn't be able to swipe IP's that don't belong to them or anything like that.

Thanked by 1cedric

Comments

• While I think it is a great idea, reality says there is ultra low demand for it and can be provided easily with KVM

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

miTgiB said: While I think it is a great idea, reality says there is ultra low demand for it and can be provided easily with KVM

Not with Solus it isn't. The current Solus implimentation doesn't handle IP locks properly and completely breaks IPV6 when ebtables are enabled. I've rewritten the majority of this and was finalizing portability into stallion for KVM but figured adding it for OpenVZ would be the next logical step

Francisco

• Just to make sure I'm understanding properly.... we'd essentially be able to move an IP from one VPS to another? That would be awesome. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that.

I do have a question about your new control panel.... can customers use that instead of Solus yet? If not, can you post some preview screenshots?

Hi Nick,

That's the idea yes :) Pretty much users could then have heartbeat between a few VM's and have a highly available setup if they have VM's spread over multiple nodes.

Stallion is already in use and it's just mooching the old solusvm style for now. We're working on a new design as we get time, but for now I've been spending my time improving what we support ;)

Francisco

• Well in that case, Stallion is pretty awesome! Keep up the good work!

I'd love to be able to set up a HA cluster. I already have 2 VMs from you and will definitely be getting more (probably bigger ones) next time you have stock, especially if I can move IPs around.

• +1 customer here for that n_n

Sounds good, yomero :)

I'll work on the feature and see how quickly I can get it in place. I'm working on improving other things as well, namely bandwidth accounting.

While at it I may as well work on the IP locks as well as improving things and adding the portable IP system :)

• IxapeIxape Member
    edited September 2011

Bare in mind I'm a bit of a noob.

Would this floating IP be an IP purchased from yourself and can be only used on your systems? Or would I be able to obtain an IP from somewhere and take it to other providers if they support this?

It'd be portable within BuyVM/FT, meaning you would buy an IP from us and could use it on any system you have with us (OVZ or KVM).

Francisco

• Ah okay - that would be useful. If you can implement that kind of thing into your fleet then surely it would be worth doing? I doubt it's costing you much.. ;)

Just time to code it :) To get this done it'll take me the better part of a week or so but still, I think it could be a really interesting feature to bring on.

There's only three coders on the team, Aldryic, Nikki & I, but Aldryic keeps to the WHMCS side of things mostly where as I handle the majority of the stallion code. Nikki does most of the coding for our monitoring system.

Francisco

Thanked by 1cedric
  • Would that work between racks though? I know we control our switches so we can move IP addresses between servers on the racks but not between the racks themselves.

It'll work between nodes/racks/switches/etc :) The only thing that won't work is outside of our router ;)

Francisco

• Francisco said: The only thing that won't work is outside of our router ;)

LOL

I want it in my home!

• Well if it's your home, I would think you could do your own routing....

• LOL, I mean, I want that portable IP's lol n_n

Aldryic's going over the billing side of the idea to see how we can implement it without any issues coming up.

Once he approves it with a plan I can start coding the rest :)

Francisco

• sounds like a great feature to have considering i'm using buyvm vps for such high availability testing as well :)

Will do :)

I figured as much since there's no one in our price range that's offering it as a feature. No one on SolusVM can offer it, not if they want to allow any IP to be taken on their network.

Francisco

• @Francisco So I have to ask, is stallion available for a test drive?

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Stallion is already in use and it's just mooching the old solusvm style for now.

One of our customers is nearly done designing the new design for the panel so I'm hoping to have some examples up in the coming days :)

Francisco

• Why can't my clients do stuff like that for me?.....

• drmike said: Why can't my clients do stuff like that for me?.....

They already can play soccer, right? :-)

Thanked by 1kylix
  • Just as an update folks;

We've mapped out a method of implementing this into our billing system that will enable users to freely purchase/cancel IPs at will. My only remaining concern is accountability, but that'll be trivial.

Once Fran finally drags himself out of bed today we'll come up with a feasible timeline, and he'll likely post again later with more info.

Figured i'd give a sample of what stallions interface is going to look like :)

http://xdat.us/yHr6C.png

Francisco

• Awesome UI!

• fanfan Veteran

Please, don't add that background full of watermarks, it makes people with bad eye sight suffer. :P

• GeekViewGeekView Member
    edited October 2011

New interface is Awesome. Is Stallion customized panel build by SolusVM specially for BuyVM?

Why this question is because of http://solusvm.com/tos.php
    1. License
    1.3. Copies and Modifications. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise translate the Software or any license keys you have obtained. You may not modify or adapt the Software or any license keys that you have obtained in any way. You may make one copy of the Software, the Documentation, and any license keys that you have obtained, solely for backup or archival purposes. Any such copies of the Software, Documentation, or license keys shall include any copyright or other proprietary notices that were included on such materials when you first received them. Except as authorised in this Section, no copies of the Software, Documentation, or license keys, or any portions thereof, may be made by you or any person under your authority or control.

Our code isn't SolusVM, period :)

For the time being we're using a modified version of their old client side but other than that it's my own code base.

@Fan - Nah that's just to stop people from stealing it.

Francisco