Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YFW Not enough bsd providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YFW Not enough bsd providers

Why?

Comments

• There are lots of KVM providers which supports FreeBSD. What's the problem?

• amarc said: And "BSD providers" are ? Mount yourself iso image on any KVM based hosts..

You don't understand what I mean by "bsd providers"?
    Do you not comprehend?
    Do you not get the idea?

• Well at this point it seems like at least DigitalOcean have absolutely no interest in BSD as it has been planned for over a year.

• I agree. More BSD providers pls

• Not all KVM providers allow custom ISOs for example DigitalOcean (this has also been in the works for 2+ years) and not all of them have BSD images. You're best off doing research before hand.

Vultr allow custom ISOs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

duckeeyuck said: You don't understand what I mean by "bsd providers"? Do you not comprehend? Do you not get the idea?

I'm not entirely sure you understand it. You can run *BSD on most KVM providers, so there are hundreds if not thousands of BSD providers.

Thanked by 2Magiobiwan rm_
  • I think he's thinking of BSD Shells/Jails.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

AThomasHowe said: Not all KVM providers allow custom ISOs for example DigitalOcean

Good job, you picked the ONLY provider who's using a very weird custom setup for KVM, with their own kernel which is stored externally to the machine. If that's everything you could come up with, then indeed it looks like KVM providers more commonly allow ISOs, than not.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

what is bsd?

• rm_ said: Good job, you picked the ONLY provider who's using a very weird custom setup for KVM, with their own kernel which is stored externally to the machine. If that's everything you could come up with, then indeed it looks like KVM providers more commonly allow ISOs, than not.

Well aren't you a pissy little bitch. What I said was to research to be sure they do support custom ISOs which isn't wrong given that at least one provider don't allow this - I am willing to bet there is at least one more host that uses KVM and doesn't allow custom ISOs out there somewhere.

edited May 2014

Mark_R said: what is bsd?

It's some antique OS which people who are too old, too stubborn or too dumb to learn new things still insist on using.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Pwner
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Magiobiwan said: I think he's thinking of BSD Shells/Jails.

You're probably right but he should have been more specific.

I'm struggling to think what you can do with BSD Jails that you can't do with a KVM running BSD.

AThomasHowe said: I am willing to bet there is at least one more host that uses KVM and doesn't allow custom ISOs out there somewhere.

6sync doesn't. Their environment is almost OvZ-like (pick image to blast on your VPS) but they run on KVM.

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • Mark_R said: what is bsd?

An alternative Unix OS. It has a somewhat hardcore following. @rm_ doesn't really know what he's talking about.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    An alternative Unix OS. It has a somewhat hardcore following. @rm_ doesn't really know what he's talking about.

What do you mean exactly? hardcore following?

edited May 2014

AThomasHowe said: @rm_ doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I know exactly what it is, but just saying "In my opinion in the current day and age it sucks major ass" seemed kind of dull. Really, all BSD users should stop wasting time on that horse which is dead at least since mid-90s, and would be better off just taking some time and effort to learn something different, and switch to Debian.

• ZigaraZigara Member

It seems @rm_ feels quite strongly about his invalid opinions. :)

Nearly all of Netflix US is being served by FreeBSD, I would suggest you go watch their tech talks for some of the reasons why.

As for 6sync, I've been using them since 2011. They've never offered custom ISO's, but they don't force feed you their kernel, you may run whatever you like.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

BSD x Debian, whats the difference?

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

Mark_R said: What do you mean exactly? hardcore following?

The people who use it generally would say there's no need for something like Linux in their lives. It's very different to Debian, BSD isn't Linux, it's UNIX.

Have a look over these links dude:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-differences-between-linux-and-bsd/

edit: why did you like rm_'s post if you don't know what BSD is? lol

Also to add, Linux is UNIX-like while BSD is UNIX based.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:

Thanks, FreeBSD seems pretty cool right now but I doubt that it is worth learning to operate FreeBSD when you have been learning to work with Debian all this time. I went from Ubuntu to Debian, going back even more wouldn't make much sense to me. That is why I thanked rm_ aswel, he has a point.

• ZigaraZigara Member

@Mark_R said:
    Thanks, FreeBSD seems pretty cool right now but I doubt that it is worth learning to operate FreeBSD when you have been learning to work with Debian all this time. I went from Ubuntu to Debian, going back even more wouldn't make much sense to me. That is why I thanked rm_ aswel, he has a point.

Nobody said you have to switch. It does not hurt to learn different technology. Knowledge is very powerful.

• @Mark_R said:
    BSD x Debian, whats the difference?

Just to confuse matters there is also Debian GNU/kFreeBSD which is Debian with FreeBSD kernel instead of Linux kernel.

You may have seen some folks insist that Linux distros be referred to as GNU/Linux before. This is because most of the UNIX-style software that forms a Linux distro is from the GNU project with Linux as the kernel. Originally the GNU kernel was going to be HURD. GNU was basically a complete operating system except for HURD which was taking a long time to develop. Then Linus released Linux which people combined with GNU to get a complete OS. That's what most Linux distros are: Linux kernel distributed with GNU userland and tools from serveral other free software projects.

The BSDs on the other hand are less of a patchwork of tools from different projects. The BSD userland tends to be developed as part of the same project as the kernel. The BSDs also originally derived from a fork of the original UNIX. Along with FreeBSD there's also NetBSD, OpenBSD (which develops OpenSSH) and a few smaller ones. Some of the BSDs also use some software from the GNU project (GCC for example).

Debian is the only project that I know of that lets you replace the Linux kernel with the kernel from FreeBSD.

Thanked by 3Mark_R rm_ AThomasHowe
  • raindog308 said: I'm not entirely sure you understand it. You can run *BSD on most KVM providers, so there are hundreds if not thousands of BSD providers.

OK
    Go run *bsd on d.o

Do you not read the title?

said: YFW Not enough bsd providers

Le me pinpoint it for you.

NOT ENOUGH.

• rm_ said: It's some antique OS which people who are too old, too stubborn or too dumb to learn new things still insist on using.

We should have a list of retarded members who turn assumptions into facts.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • duckeeyuck said: Not enough bsd providers

Please help me understand your favor of using Unix.

Other than the fact that BSD is just different, why would someone use BSD Unix over GNU Linux? I have not seen any logical arguments to persuade a personal switch to BSD other than that older developers are familiar with BSD.

My argument for Linux over Unix is:

• The GNU forces open code. The GNU licence promotes true freedom while BSD can stay closed and proprietary (HP Unix)
    • Because of the GNU licence on all derivatives of Linux we see more code review - hence more secure code, better performance, better stability, and more community support .
    • The Linux kernel is in active development by thousands of users and rich companies - hence we see much better portability of Linux than BSD.
    • The BSD kernel has become fragmented over the years and is not 100% binary compatible. Linux will always be 100% binary compatible across distributions - which promotes and allows cooperation across development teams.

duckeeyuck said: We should have a list of retarded members who turn assumptions into facts.

BSD or the Berkeley Software Distribution is a very old operating system. I would not call the derivatives BSD because they never came from UC Berkeley. Why is do you use the wording BSD?

Thanked by 2rm_ Pwner
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I do not agree linux is more secure because there is more code oversight. Experience simply shows BSD and especially OpenBSD which is also OS, are among the safest OSes out there. Maybe because their typical users know what they are doing more than the typical Linux user.
    The rest of the arguments seem ok. I long wanted to learn BSD, but I am the type of person which only learns something when needed.

• blergh_blergh_ Member

Do you actually NEED it or do you just simply WANT it? As for stability, there's an awful lot of important stuff that runs on *BSD, with netbsd specifically.

• Silvenga said: Please help me understand your favor of using Unix.

no

blergh_ said: Do you actually NEED it or do you just simply WANT it? As for stability, there's an awful lot of important stuff that runs on *BSD, with netbsd specifically.

does it look like im asking if bsd is the right choice?

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • vedranvedran Veteran

Silvenga said: I have not seen any logical arguments to persuade a personal switch to BSD other than that older developers are familiar with BSD.

Linux kernel is not POSIX compliant. Linux does not really support XFS or ZFS. Linux OOM killer is terrible terrible thing. Linux is made without any plan, it's just a bunch of code sewn together from everywhere.

Btw, you do realize GNU/Linux idea was to make a free (read that however you want) copy of UNIX, which is still not fully completed?

Unix if far from not being actively developed, just look at FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Illumos

Ok, GNU/Linux is compatible with pretty much everything, but when it comes to reliability and stability, it's not even close to Unix yet.

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • blergh_blergh_ Member

@duckeeyuck said:

Do note that i agreed to some extent with the points you made initially, i wasn't criticizing. I simply asked/wondered if it was something that you actually need or if it was simply something you'd like to see more of. Are you looking for jails? bhive?

• Pretty sure OP wants to see more hosts with BSD templates available for their VPSs, especially KVM hosts like DigitalOcean who don't allow custom ISOs. I'd like to see this too and I am sure many others here would.

OP, Vultr has a $10 free trial atm and they allow custom ISOs if you're interested.