Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaxMind Fraud Risk Score
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaxMind Fraud Risk Score

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited May 2012 in General

We're hooking up MaxMind and I have no idea what an acceptable score is and apparently there are two types of scores: "new" and "old".... Which one do you use and what score do you set yours to?

Comments

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

Have the new one on. But, I just do manual verifications after every order so it doesn't really matter a lot - just giving me a bit more of a basis to place it's results on.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Alot of people seem to agree with doing further verification after 2.5

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

We turned on phone verification for everyone. Seems effective.

The biggest problem seems to be how to teach people to enter their phone number in the correct format.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r tux
  • ben_adictben_adict Member
    edited May 2012

use maxmind old score with 2checkout for manual fraud verification

or use phone verfication is better

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

What this guy said, 2CheckOut's Fraud Verification is quite awesome, Blows PayPal away and MaxMind, More detailed and helps you as a seller be more safe with online transactions.

@ben_adict said: or maxmind old score with 2checkout for manual fraud verification

• ben_adictben_adict Member
    edited May 2012

But for me, i dont like paypal specially for their dispute system, becuase scammers use dispute to get their money back.

And be carefull, always withdraw your money, maybe someday you will surprise that paypal limit your account and you can't get your money anymore.

@Jacob said: What this guy said, 2CheckOut's Fraud Verification is quite awesome, Blows PayPal away and MaxMind, More detailed and helps you as a seller be more safe with online transactions.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@Jacob said: What this guy said, 2CheckOut's Fraud Verification is quite awesome, Blows PayPal away and MaxMind, More detailed and helps you as a seller be more safe with online transactions.

Unfortunately that would incur extra fees we don't pay now.

• Anyway, 2checkout is quite expensive, but they offer discount if you have less of chargebacks transactions

@BlueVM said: Unfortunately that would incur extra fees we don't pay now.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@ben_adict said: Anyway, 2checkout is quite expensive, but they offer discount if you have less of chargebacks transactions

We pay $0.05 + 3.5% per transaction with paypal so even if 2co was $0.05 more per transaction we'd loose more money trying to prevent fraud than if we just dealt with it.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

@rds100 said: The biggest problem seems to be how to teach people to enter their phone number in the correct format.

me too. i even didn't know what is the correct format for phone number in whmcs lol

Thanked by 2Liam tux
  • rds100rds100 Member

@Mon5t3r the correct format is: just the phone, without the international dialing code.
    I.e. people from UK should not be prefixing their number with 44 and any zeroes. MaxMind will automatically add +44 in front of their number and try to call them.

Thanked by 4Mon5t3r Infinity Liam tux
  • JacobJacob Member

@BlueVM Yep, 2CheckOut Cuts a big lump out of our profits, Soon I will inquire how to get these lowered.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

@rds100 thanks!!! :D

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

You guys just gave me a great idea for a WHMCS verification plugin :P

• AldryicAldryic Member

You know gentlemen... no offense intended, but there are days I see some of these threads and genuinely wonder just how many folks get into this without really researching the tools they'll be using =/

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: wonder just how many folks get into this without really researching the tools they'll be using

Wait, there are tools to make this easier?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

When I looked at 2CO, it was 3.99% plus $.45 per transaction plus $10.99 per month. Ouch.

https://www.2checkout.com/pricing/

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@aldryic TBH a lot of these tools spew a lot of mumbo jumbo at users and it's hard to understand what settings are optimal. To high and good users get caught, too low and you get scammers, spammers, and god knows what.

• @miTgiB said: Wait, there are tools to make this easier?

Yes, its name its @Aldryic according to @Francisco

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • vps6netvps6net Member

We use the new scoring system, set to deny anything above 0.1. Keeps most of the fraud away, and our PayPal agent stays happy. :-)

• AldryicAldryic Member

@FRCorey said: TBH a lot of these tools spew a lot of mumbo jumbo at users and it's hard to understand what settings are optimal. To high and good users get caught, too low and you get scammers, spammers, and god knows what.

This is where RTFM comes into play. I'm willing to bet that most of the folks using Maxmind on their WHMCS just plugged in the free account details, and ever even bothered looking around Maxmind's site for configuration help.

Know what else throws a lot of 'mumbo jumbo' at users? OpenVZ. OSHI-

@vps6net said: We use the new scoring system, set to deny anything above 0.1.

I wish we could use it on your sales posts, but I guess that's an issue that will never be addressed.

What amazes me is how many people think that relying on an automated service to be 100% accurate is the best way to go. You do actually have to spend some time reviewing and auditing if you want to be accurate. Maxmind is a guide, not a final decision, and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't trust any host who says "Maxmind (or any other service) says yes/no, that's good enough for me".

Granted, most of the hosts I see don't really case who they host, so long as they get paid at the end of the day. And even the majority of the ones that do try to keep their networks clean, how many can honestly claim that their client records are at least 80% accurate? How many signups from Mr AAAA of 123asdf St have you accepted because a fraud system said it was ok?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Aldryic, I think you could probably write a book on online fraud detection/prevention and sell it on Amazon. There is not really any good guide I have found. There's some common sense stuff, the maxmind docs, the few books on hosting that have been written, some WHT tutorials, etc. but the hows and whys of online fraud detection/prevention are not really accessible to the average bear.

• subigosubigo Member

4.5 risk score and a quick glance at each new order (no automated account creation). No successful fraud attempts in the past few years. It's not that hard to pick out a fraudulent order, even without MaxMind.

• HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
    edited May 2012

I won't trust maxmind at all. It is very simple to place an order with appropriate fake details and fake PayPal accounts so maxmind won't detect the order as fraudulent. If you use an proxy/vpn to hide your IP and make it's Geo code matching to the land you selected during the order in whmcs, maxmind is kinda useless.