Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Telia transatlantic cable outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Telia transatlantic cable outage

IshaqIshaq Member, Provider
edited May 2014 in General

Did anyone else from EU experience problems?

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2014

Yep, Cloudflare and Digital Ocean are also having issues

• NeoonNeoon Member

Yeah got hit by 522 error messages.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2014

Yep. I am having lots of problems to reach some US sites right now from Germany. Sucks big time... Is there any link to the Telia outage?

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• berkayberkay Member

Yep, happened here also

• m1awm1aw Member

I was wondering the same, it was affecting a lot of European websites, even League of Legends EU Server were affected.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member, Provider

Twitter mobile app is not loading images correctly either.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

Yarp, fuxxored here. Stopped me from locking up that scav's thread for about an hour :-/

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Top Provider

rumor has it a shark bit the cable, was said by @Jack so can't confirm !

HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!
    AS7489 | View our network | LIR Services - IPv4, IPv6, ASN | Latest Special Offers!

• StevenNStevenN Member, Provider

@AlexanderM said:
    rumor has it a shark bit the cable, was said by Jack so can't confirm !

Haha.

VMBOX.CO.UK - RAID10 PURE SSD KVM VPS / SSD CACHED OVZ - NL/LA/PHX - FREE WILDCARD SSL'S - FREE DDOS MITIGATION

• trexostrexos Member

Is that why I wasn't able to access LET the last few hrs?

OnePoundWebHosting.co.uk | UK XEN VPS from £2 | See their special offers starting from 12£/year here

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@trexos said:
    Is that why I wasn't able to access LET the last few hrs?

Same thing, yep. I had 524's from CloudFlare indicating that their requests to LET from their London PoP timed out.

• trexostrexos Member

@iceTwy said:

Yeah same with me here from Germany. It used Amsterdam though

OnePoundWebHosting.co.uk | UK XEN VPS from £2 | See their special offers starting from 12£/year here

• @AlexanderM said:
    rumor has it a shark bit the cable, was said by Jack so can't confirm !

Hah, one shark causes an outage for millions. What do ya' know.

Is inflation really at 0.5%? What a conundrum...

eddynetweb.net | DigitalOcean referral.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

This was a marketing stunt for the new Godzilla film.

Thanked by 3rzlosty netomx Mark_R

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• Source?

Professional lurker

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@Makkesk8 said:
    Source?

Bloke down the pub.

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

21:42 BST - 4/6 European Cloudflare datacentres are currently offline.

21:49 BST - It has been reported that Telia's transatlantic cable is down.

21:51 BST - Cloudflare confirm that Telia's cable has been cut.

21:56 BST - Traffic now being rerouted.

There is no official announcement at the moment. It's still very new.

• Illuminati

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Moderator

10,000 crappy lowend hosts now have an excuse for the next 24-48 hours.

Customer: "My VPS was down for four hours."

Low End Host: "Downtime? Oh that was caused by the transatlantic cable outage. Here's a link to the news."

Customer: "But you're in Buffalo and I'm in Kansas."

Low End Host: "Um...well...i'ts due to, um, redundant geo-routing and our, ah, GRE ipv6 anti-latency protocols..."

Customer: "So do I get a credit?"

Low End Host: "Sorry, Act of God."

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• Nick_ANick_A Top Provider

nLayer is also having bad issues in Atlanta. Not a good day.

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

@Nick_A said:
    nLayer is also having bad issues in Atlanta. Not a good day.

Yeah I noticed.

• rds100rds100 Member

So was really a transatlatic cable cut, or was it just some other Telia screwup (equipment, etc.). If it was a cable cut i would expect a much larger impact, not just Telia.

-

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

Interesting indeed, especially given how quickly they got back up and going. I bet it was a software/hardware issue and not anything having to do with the physical link.

Jon Biloh
  • @Ishaq said:
    21:42 BST - 4/6 European Cloudflare datacentres are currently offline.

21:49 BST - It has been reported that Telia's transatlantic cable is down.

21:51 BST - Cloudflare confirm that Telia's cable has been cut.

21:56 BST - Traffic now being rerouted.

Is that from CloudFlare?

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

• If that line where to break, there'd be a lot of issues, including downtime, that would probably stretch for more than a few hours (not including traffic rerouting).

Is inflation really at 0.5%? What a conundrum...

eddynetweb.net | DigitalOcean referral.

• I dont think so, most people today are multihomed and many even have automatic failover, outages should be short, in most cases not even visible. However, that is in theory, in fact, things are much different, but it does not mean that outages HAD to be big in order to the story to have credibility.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• from the link @athomashowe posted

It was a scheduled job that went a bit wrong, says Bo Djurberg, manager at Telia

from http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article18915221.ab (via google translate)

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited May 2014

Did this affect Turkey as well? I couldn't reach some sites like Stack Exchange, yesterday around 23:00 (Istanbul time)

LET Veteran

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited May 2014

kerouac said: Did this affect Turkey as well?

I saw a period of very high ping and packet loss on Telia link from Singapore to Europe, maybe they overloaded their Middle Eastern cable by trying to shift routes off from the trans-atlantic one.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2014

rm_ said: maybe they overloaded their Middle Eastern cable by trying to shift routes off from the trans-atlantic one.

-

Cloudflare became aware of a problem when European traffic stopped going to the US via the transatlantic cable and instead "started taking a very circuitous route through Hong Kong," he explained.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/19/eu_cable_outage/

That sounds like something that would overload the eastern routes

@mpkossen said:
    Is that from CloudFlare?

Nope, Hacker News.

• Ishaq said: Nope, Hacker News.

Yeah reposted from Cloudflare ;P

I found this tho

Cloudflare's chief executive, Matthew Prince, was kind enough to return our call. "It now appears more likely that [Telia] misrouted traffic through to North America," he explained. "The most likely reason would be some kind of routing misalignment."

Cloudflare became aware of a problem when European traffic stopped going to the US via the transatlantic cable and instead "started taking a very circuitous route through Hong Kong," he explained. The problem was fixed by Cloudflare relatively quickly, and he believes Telia dealt with it within an hour or so.

"Whenever one of the big tier one ISPs has an issue it sort of shows the fragility of the internet. I think this was most likely human error," he said.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/19/eu_cable_outage/

My personal blog and website | Freelance web developer & programmer. HTML/CSS/PHP/JS (Clientside & Serverside)/C# and more

Installing Observium on Debian

• publiopublio Member

"Fragility of the internet"? More like fragility of providers unwilling to invest in multiple tier 1 links.

• NyrNyr Member

@publio said:
    "Fragility of the internet"? More like fragility of providers unwilling to invest in multiple tier 1 links.

He's most likely talking about the fragility of BGP.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • publiopublio Member

@Nyr said:
    He's most likely talking about the fragility of BGP.

Would you care to expand that thought?

I've been under the impression that eBGP would keep semi-permanent TCP connections between routers and use it as a heartbeat as well as to advertise routes. Since traffic rerouting took many minutes instead of a few seconds, it leads me to believe that it was done manually as the backup links are nowhere near as good.

• crdnlcrdnl Member

So either someone is going on a shark hunt or is getting yelled at in the Telia office?

• crdnl said: is getting yelled at in the Telia office

This looks increasingly more likely. DO sharks cant be blamed for everything...

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• crdnlcrdnl Member

Maounique said: This looks increasingly more likely. DO sharks cant be blamed for everything...

I still see DO being more of a dolphin company...