Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Best distro for via/S3G unichrome pro?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Best distro for via/S3G unichrome pro?

MaouniqueMaounique Member

Hi, I have a problem!

For more than a day I try to get my Unichrome pro onboard card to work to the resolution of my new (second hand) monitor of 1920x1200. I tired a lot of drivers and modes, including those found by cvt, nothing seems to be working. If the resolution is non-native it looks wet and I got this monitor because the old one was hard on my eyes, and now cannot use it and gives me headaches. I cannot add a video card (only PCI and the only slot I use for wifi) so that is not an option. The XP driver works great, I thought it is a defective board and tried it, however, no luck with debian.

What i tried:
-via proprietary driver. Errors out in different ways in the various flavours i tried, even got older kernels it was designed for, compiled modules and all;
-openchrome works, but only to 1920x1080, that is the highest I saw it going. It is not enough as it has to be native. I dont need 3d, at least I dont hink so, this is an old box i only use because it is quiet and does not eat a lot of power.

I suppose I could use XP since it is mostly for RDP only, but it worked great with the old monitor in Debian. I am ready to give a try to another distro, need mostly rdp, radio, browsing, and some tv/dvd at times.
Does anyone have any experience with a distro that would fit? Installing is rather slow as it has a via c7 at 1 ghz.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

Comments

• I ended up using my proxmox testbox with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131875

It has the PSU fan removed to keep cool, though, and it is a small form-factor one, so it is pretty warm all the time. I wont be adding much load, but nevertheless, it might be the straw that breaks the camel.
    There is still the issue of disks clunking, but i can live with that, I guess.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.