Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you use "testing" branches of debian?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many of you use "testing" branches of debian?

Or something that isn't stable (w/e the equivalent is in your distro of choice).

I'm referring to your servers not your personal computers tbh.

say which because someone asked you on the internet
  1. which?!?!?!?!32 votes
    1. testing
      28.13%
    2. stable
      71.88%

Comments

• Security updates for Debian Testing are slower than for Stable. Also running a server on Testing is going to be a lot more hands on, because as packages are upgraded to new versions stuff will break. There will also be times when the packages you want are simply uninstallable. Here is a list of currently uninstallable packages in testing/amd64 for example. That's more than 4% of all packages right now.

I definitely see the allure of Testing. Personally I am really looking forward to being able to use Apache 2.4 on Debian Stable without frankensteining my system. But in my opinion using Testing or Unstable on a server seriously undermines one of the primary reasons to use Debian in the first place: stability and predictability.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

TBH the primary reason I use testing is for its rolling update system, which is hard to find elsewhere.

• KeithKeith Member

Debian stable + wheezy-backports with nginx from the nginx debian repository and mysql replaced by Percona 5.6.

• fislefisle Member

I use Debian Stable on the servers with Dotdeb repo for Nginx and PHP. IMO Testing/Unstable should be on your personal boxes/desktops/etc.

• FalzoFalzo Member

stable+backports

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Falzo said:
    stable+backports

There is no point in running into trouble due to the underlying OS, just use backports for something you need or compile it if you really-really have to.

• I'm curious why anyone would want rolling upgrades (eg by using Debian Testing) on a server. Obviously it's nice to get access to newer features, but I also hate surprises. I've really learned to appreciate having a stable platform to build on for a couple of years at a time.

As for using third party repositories, I've been burned during dist-upgrade more than once. You can always recover the system, but not the time you put into dealing with it. Currently I don't use any third party repos, even on my desktop computers at home. I'm not saying don't do it. Just don't do it unless you're 100% certain a solution for your problem cannot be accomplished with what the distro provides.

Never underestimate the technical debt that straying from your distro can cause.

• VPNVPN Member

I think from a provider POV its irresponsible to use testing builds.