Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTP/SCP storage: cheap'n'static OR on-demand/pay-per-gb-per-hour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FTP/SCP storage: cheap'n'static OR on-demand/pay-per-gb-per-hour

tiredtired Member
edited May 2014 in Requests

Hello dear LETers,

I've looked around a bit at WHT and here, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.
Maybe someone can kick me in the right direction?

I want:

-up to 500GB storage (without limited filesize or no. of files or other artificial limits)

-100mbit are... okay, but I prefer shared gbit

-max. 500GB traffic/month in + 500GB out, usually less

-accessible via standard protocol, that works from the linux command line AND is usually available on most linux boxes, e.g. FTP or SCP, no proprietary mobile apps and webinterfaces!

-very cheap (see below)

-location: europe, NL/DE prefered, leaseweb would be awesome, NO USA/NSA (sorry!)

I don't want:

-"cloud backup" space aimed at tablet users, that is not accessible via standard protocols

-amazon S3-like "object storage" (I need out-of-the-box FTP/SCP not an API to develop for)

-root, and having to setup everything myself, keeping the box secure etc., I lack time

I don't need:

-H.A. clusters and whatnot

-business SLAs

-backups

-support, unless theres a problem with the network, hardware, host OS

optional bonus features (woudn't pay much more for it):

-SSH access (non-root)

-more protocols, e.g. rsync, bittorrentsync, webdav, http directorylisting with .htaccess

-1 additional read-only FTP user

about price and usage:

I only need this space occasionally. Sometimes for 1 day, sometimes for 2-3 weeks. And I don't alsways use 500GB.
If someone could offer me static 500GB for, say, 2€/month I'd take that (yearly payment in advance is OK, monthy/quarterly of course preferred). But maybe thats too much to ask for.
So, to bring the price down, I'd like to pay per used GB per hour/day. As I said, I don't need the space permanently anyways.

Any suggestions?
Everything I found so far, was either too expensive, or very "enduser cloud'ish" (read: closed, proprietary, full of limitations, e.g. hubic.com), or too "S3-like business cloud'ish".

edit: added blank lines for readability

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Get the 5EUR/month Kimsufi Atom, it comes with 500GB disk.

• said: NO USA/NSA (sorry!)

NSA snoops at all networks.

So unless you encrypt all your storage and your traffic like crazy...

Just use Amazon web services and encrypt your stuff.

• Best options probably imo are backupsy, KimSufi, hubiC or maybe something like BackBlaze. All have their own pitfalls and some you mentioned but they're the closest high storage options near your price range.

• said: If someone could offer me static 500GB for, say, 2€/month

Ooooookay.

• @serverian

Welcome to LowEndTalk.

It's actually more sad that someone will eventually give him what he wants, and probably at half the price; since that's how this "community" seems to work.

• tiredtired Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!

@rds100 said:
    Get the 5EUR/month Kimsufi Atom, it comes with 500GB disk.

Yes, I thought about that too. It certainly has its charme. I just want to avoid managing it. The world doesn't need yet another badly maintained botnet drone, right folks? ;) But I'll keep it in mind, and re-evaluate.

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    NSA snoops at all networks.
    So unless you encrypt all your storage and your traffic like crazy...
    Just use Amazon web services and encrypt your stuff.

You're right. But I didn't take that lightly. I refuse to host anything in their homecountry, just because! The files aren't even sensitive at all. If anyone wants to comment further on the NSA or politics, please open a new thread (due to the tendency of political topics to end in a flamewar).

@AThomasHowe said:

backupsy.com: I'm sure they are awesome, but for occasional non-profit use I find them too "expensive".

kimsufi.co.uk: maybe. see above

hubic.com and backblaze.com: seem to fall into the "enduser cloud'ish" category, see my post

@serverian said:
    Ooooookay.

@GoodHosting said:
    Welcome to LowEndTalk.
    It's actually more sad that someone will eventually give him what he wants, and probably at half the price; since that's how this "community" seems to work.

Ouch! Bear with me. I'm not your usual cheapass who lost contact to reality. Although it might look like it, if you excercise "selective reading". You both forgot to read on:

@tired said:
    But maybe thats too much to ask for.
    So, to bring the price down, I'd like to pay per used GB per hour/day. As I said, I don't need the space permanently anyways.

I didn't actually expect to get 500 dedicated GB for 2€/month. But miracles happen here and there. And in a world of <15€ dedies with 100mbit flatrates and "OMG 10TB for 10€ !!11!11" we customers sometimes get a little confused as to what can be expected and what can't.
    Thats why I came up with the dynamic/pay-per-use thing. With that I can pay pennies, without robbing the hoster.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

GIANT_CRAB said: NSA snoops at all networks.

I can guarantee you no NSA up to our Upstreams core. Easy. Further is public internet and should be encrypted.
    10EUR/TB is realistic, 5EUR is possible but not profitable.

Thanked by 2Mark_R netomx
  • elixirelixir Member
    edited May 2014

Vultr has an option, with their current 'double your deposit' promo the prices work out to a 50% discount

SATA Storage Plans - New Jersey Only

$4/m for 320GB

$7.5/m for 640GB

https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

• Mark_RMark_R Member

It looks to me like you want a seedbox, you can get those at really affordable prices and they come pre-installed with a torrent client + webinterface (login protected) & FTP. Everything will be managed by them and usually SSH access is not provided but some seedbox providers allow it on request. I can recommend http://www.gbox.me/services/slots/ they are really solid.

There are probably even more affordable options closer to your 500gb HDD space requirement but I will not recommend any provider that I haven't used myself yet. Do a google search for seedbox providers if you need more options and read the reviews!

Goodluck!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

He said he wants something he can access over FTP or SCP, not something he can run torrent client on..

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@perennate said:
    He said he wants something he can access over FTP or SCP, not something he can run torrent client on..

A seedbox comes with FTP. You could upload or download files on it, you dont need to use the torrent client, those are just nice little extras right?

• BackupFTPBackupFTP Member
    edited May 2014

please del.

• @BackupFTP said:
    -snip-

You are breaking the rules.

• @0xdragon said:

Thanks for information - please delete post.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have 100 GB for 18 Eur a year, I can offer a deal on it, 500 GB, 45 Eur a year. Has FTP(S), HTTP(S), ssh optional access (need a ticket for it) with DirectAdmin, LeaseWeb in germany. We may move it, though, too many drive failures in the last time (though no data lost due to raid).