Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtualBox on Kimsufi ATOM N2800
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtualBox on Kimsufi ATOM N2800

J1021J1021 Member

Hello,

I am trying to run VirtualBox on an Kimsufi ATOM N2800. When I attempt to launch the VM this happens.

So I run the following.

root@ns3282823:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup Stopping VirtualBox kernel moduleslibkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory ...done. Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed! (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong) root@ns3282823:~#

Doesn't work, pretty irritating. Output of /var/log/vbox-install.log

/usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: line 62: make: command not found /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: line 62: make: command not found Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop. Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Is there anyway to get this working?

Comments

• I'm looking at the make: command not found issue. Try installing the build essentials (sudo apt-get install build-essential or sudo yum install build-essential).

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

try a yum install gcc make

• J1021J1021 Member

@Silvenga said:
    I'm looking at the make: command not found issue. Try installing the build essentials (sudo apt-get install build-essential or sudo yum install build-essential).

Still failing.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

1e10 said: Still failing.

did you try my suggestion?

(if using ubuntu or debian try apt-get install gcc

& apt-get install make

• 1e10 said: Still failing.

You may not have the kernel source. Get the source for your OS (CentOS?).

sudo yum install kernel-devel

Else: Reboot or ensure that all of the VBox threads are killed. Run again and check the logs.

• TarZZ92 said: did you try my suggestion?

The build-essential package includes both gcc and make.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Also try apt-get install dkms

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

Install linux-headers, too.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

I once had troubles on getting virtualbox to function properly @ Debian 6

this command fixed it for me:

apt-get install linux-headers-2.6-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]-[^-]-,,') virtualbox-ose

You could try it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2014

You need to remove the OVH kernel and use the default kernel from Ubuntu.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?5616-Standard-Kernels-with-Ubuntu-Debian

• sc754sc754 Member

@1e10 said:
    Hello,

I am trying to run VirtualBox on an Kimsufi ATOM N2800. When I attempt to launch the VM this happens.

So I run the following.

root@ns3282823:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup Stopping VirtualBox kernel moduleslibkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1567 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory ...done. Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed! (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong) root@ns3282823:~#

Doesn't work, pretty irritating. Output of /var/log/vbox-install.log

/usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: line 62: make: command not found /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: line 62: make: command not found Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop. Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Is there anyway to get this working?

I'm not sure the OVH kernel has loadable module support. Might want to try the OS default kernel instead of the OVH one

• earlearl Member

Might Help..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885936&page=8

Why don't you use proxmox?

• Another alternative to VirtualBox you could try is installing libvirt and KVM on the server, and using virt-manager on your desktop (connecting to the server over SSH). Might be easier to get set up, and also does not require a desktop environment and X to be installed on the server.