Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowsocks setup on vps ipv6/v4 NAT or alternative method to bypass GFW?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shadowsocks setup on vps ipv6/v4 NAT or alternative method to bypass GFW?

Hi, I'm currently in need of something to bypass GFW for one of my friend who traveled there, shadowsocks seem to be the best choice, and I have a ipv6 vps not in use so I install it, but I'm running in to problem with it like this right when trying to run:

root@myserver:/etc/shadowsocks# ssserver
shadowsocks 1.4.3
2014-05-14 04:59:11 INFO loading config from config.json
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/ssserver", line 9, in
load_entry_point('shadowsocks==1.4.3', 'console_scripts', 'ssserver')()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/shadowsocks/server.py", line 237, in main
addrs = socket.getaddrinfo(config_server, int(8387))
socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

I want to use one of my ipv4 port for it ( port 12602) but I have virtually no idea how python work and very basic vps knowledge. So... anyone had setup shadowsocks with this type of vps before or any alternative that work for this vps?

Comments

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited May 2014

Why don't you use the C or Javascript builds?

EDIT: It appears that the python build may not have all the features.

• I just follow tutorials, by js you mean nodejs? Will it work for ipv4 NAT setup without any additional setup? (since I'm also not familiar with both C and nodejs - I'm a designer).

:(

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited May 2014

Rare people use ipv6 only vps to bapass in cn (maybe students use it), so the tutorials are all for ipv4.
    PM me, I could set up a shadowsocks account for your friend on a LA vps.
    Or you could buy one from bypass provider, ¥50/year, 30GB/month bandwith, enough for most people, they have multi-line.
    Buy a ipv4 vps from bandwagonhost is cheaper, 3.99$/year.

• Thanks hiphiphip, but I'm trying to utilize my barely in use ipv6 vps here, if that not work then I must have to use my ipv4 vps for him :)

• blackblack Member

It says it's available via apt-get on debian.

echo "deb http://shadowsocks.org/debian wheezy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install shadowsocks

Thanked by 1foggyflute
  • foggyflute said: Will it work for ipv4 NAT setup without any additional setup?

They should all work. You just need to make sure you have the NAT'ed port open. I recommend the pure C build because you can just apt-get the software if you're on Ubuntu/Debian. But if you're using CentOS or Arch I would go with the Python (didn't work for you) or the Node.js (JavaScript) build.

Thanked by 1foggyflute
  • Thanks, Silvenga.
    Since this vps serve no purpose, I guess jump on debian not something too hard, will report back.

• yywudiyywudi Member

Hi, I tried with lowendspirit VPS, with IPv6 + NAT ipv4, debian 6 + shadowsocks c with-libev. just follow the guide, use apt-get install shadowsocks and update the config.json.
    IP configured as the private ipv4 address under NAT(like 192.168.10.xx), port configured as the usable port.
    everything is OK. pls check your config file for the ipaddress if report "ip address bind err"

Thanked by 2foggyflute Mark_R
  • thanks yywudi, that really help :)

• shadowsocks-libev one click install shell script for Debian
    teddysun.com/358.html

shadowsocks-libev one click install shell script for CentOS
    teddysun.com/357.html

and so on , click :teddysun.com/

• thanks teddysun, your centos script work great ^^

• On LES, python version of it works fine here.

• M66BM66B Veteran

Setting up shadowsocks on debian appears to be very easy. Point of attention: make sure you fill in "method" in /etc/shadowsocks/config.json and make sure it matches "Encrypt Method" in your client (I tested with the Android client). I had everything working in less than five minutes. Setting up shadowsocks is much easier than OpenVPN.

• Yeah, work great and much straight forward than scrambled openVPN (when I run into no bug), but sure openVPN not being made for bypass censorship only - of course it will be more complex.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

is there any encryption method on shadowsocks that would be recommend to use behind the gfw? right now i'm about to go with aes-256-cfb but it might be spotted easily?