Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback or opinions on PoundHost, please!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback or opinions on PoundHost, please!

NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm looking at some PoundHost plans so I'd be interested to know if anyone who's been with them for a couple of months or more has any feedback on their services, particularly network performance and support.

Preferably no whingers about their cancellation policy please, I know how it works and I'm not going to cry and start posting on forums about scams when in reality I'm just incapable of reading.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I haven't been with PoundHost, but I've been with Simply Transit who are another brand of theirs or something like that. Can't exactly remember which brand I was with.

Honestly there were more hiccups than I would have liked with packet loss, but they did resolve it fairly quickly. Their data centre was in Maidenhead IIRC, but they have built their own facility in Reading now I believe. (don't ask me why everyone's obsessed with bluddy Berkshire). Latency is increased to London obviously but not by a lot.

They may have upgraded their network since but I remember everything going off to Tinet and NTT. The routes were awful, but my standards are high. It is fairly well priced though so I guess that's good. All in all as a company they are good but not too keen on the network.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

inb4 paid endorsement

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Cheers - I'm looking at their almost too good to be true dedicated offer as a remote desktop machine, so whilst latency isn't a big deal, packet loss could make things a real pain in the arse. Sounds like a support is reasonable though, which assures me to a degree. Might have to give them a try and see how it pans out.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    Cheers - I'm looking at their almost too good to be true dedicated offer as a remote desktop machine, so whilst latency isn't a big deal, packet loss could make things a real pain in the arse. Sounds like a support is reasonable though, which assures me to a degree. Might have to give them a try and see how it pans out.

That packet loss and downtime was caused by a series of DDoS, I'm pretty sure it's subsided by now but was very annoying indeed at the time.

Hasn't that deal ended though? I think I know the one you're eyeing up.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Infinity said:
    Hasn't that deal ended though? I think I know the one you're eyeing up.

Appeared to still be available to order earlier today.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited May 2014

I was with Poundhost dedicated server within 1 month. My review is good. The server performance is shit... but what do you want for 25GBP , but the network is excellent!

Support is fast as possible , and great! They need you ID card and etc.. but anyway a good provider

But the control panel is... interesting... Not a solusVM :D anyway. Maybe like a simple hypervm.

• tehdantehdan Member

Been with them for about 6 months, with one of their LEB offers. Very happy with them, support is excellent - responsive and helpful - they hooked up a KVM for me in the middle of the night within about 10 minutes of opening a ticket.

Yes the LEB offer servers are a little old, but I suspect you're looking at the CS5?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tehdan said:
    Been with them for about 6 months, with one of their LEB offers. Very happy with them, support is excellent - responsive and helpful - they hooked up a KVM for me in the middle of the night within about 10 minutes of opening a ticket.

Yes the LEB offer servers are a little old, but I suspect you're looking at the CS5?

Cheers for the info. It's the Atom D525 I'm looking at actually, quite low spec, but should be sufficient for a bit of personal Remote Desktop.