Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apt-get grade problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

apt-get grade problem

seraphkzseraphkz Member
edited May 2012 in General

Weird problem, hopefully someone can shed some light.

Trying to do an apt-get upgrade and I get this in return

Fetched 306 kB in 0s (3968 kB/s) Preconfiguring packages ... (Reading database ... 78474 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace sysvinit 2.88dsf-13.1 (using .../sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_i386.deb) ... Unpacking replacement sysvinit ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_i386.deb (--unpack): unable to make backup link of ./sbin/init' before installing new version: Operation not permitted configured to not write apport reports Processing triggers for man-db ... Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_i386.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Where is this, which provider?
    chattr -i /sbin/init then try again.

Thanked by 2efball seraphkz
  • AdamAdam Member

Try:
    'apt-get -f install' and/or 'dpkg --configure --pending'

• I had this error also on all of my BuyVM boxes. Every other box upgraded just fine.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It means that your init was likely eating a LOT of CPU.

I think debian may have rolled the ubuntu init bug :( I need to confirm but we have a script that updates init and chattr's it to stop it from happening again.

Francisco

• corpuscorpus Member

I also have this prob in my buyvm great lowend vps

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: I think debian may have rolled the ubuntu init bug :( I need to confirm but we have a script that updates init and chattr's it to stop it from happening again.

I remember in some early Debian 6 OpenVZ templates they had serious issues with init eating all the CPU and causing the entire system to be awfully slow and cause many things to break.

Although the issue no longer exist with the newer ones.

• sudo chattr -i /sbin/init

Is what fixed this for me also.

• corpuscorpus Member

yep that fixed for me also

@Doublejr said: sudo chattr -i /sbin/init