Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tool to analyze different data sets
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tool to analyze different data sets

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hey
When researching a host i often come up with a lot of data (ip addresses, whois records, nameservers, whois records of the nameservers, reverse dns entries, even more domains with all that stuff again)

The problem is that its sometimes hard to keep track of all the data.

Does anyone know of a tool (webbased or offline) that will allow me to collect all the data i have and then search for cross-references? I've heard Wolfram Alpha has a feature like that but i don't really know how to use it

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

Excel?

• @PytoHost said: Excel?

That won't really work for a random number of hosts with sometimes completly different data. Also i can imagine copy&pasting whois records into Excel won't end good.

• Plain-text db + grep, sort, uniq, sed, tr, awk FTW

• tuxtux Member

SPSS?

• dump it in a mysql db. query compare the shit outta that

• Thanks for the suggestions with linux tools and a mysql db, but i'd prefer something where i can simply copy&paste the info i've got into, hit a button and it shows me all the crossreferences.

SPSS looks interesting but it seems to be only for integers/predefined tests

• where i can simply copy&paste the info i've got into, hit a button and it shows me all the crossreferences.

You know, that's kinda hard to do with arbitrary data, especially strings. If you want a point-and-click solution then Excel may be your best bet.

• exussumexussum Member

Yeah excel works for any amount of data if you write your formulas to allow that. keep in CSV format and then save copies in excel format. that way you can search and manipulate csv from command line and use the same set for excel

• exussumexussum Member

There is very little you cant do in excel that you can in SPSS, SPSS is just time saving and has loads of built in features for analysis which in excel you would have to create yourself (wikipedia shows formulas, you just have to "translate" to excel.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited May 2012

Excel, or I would do it with vb.net if it's necessarily needed, you will need a small program with some buttons on the interface to navigate database, add/delete/change entries, arrange in some order, or what analyzing needs.

Maybe you can have some ready-made vb applications that does so and pick the suitable, there's plenty of such freewares available, usually in a form of personal organizer, phone book, diary, data collector.. .

BTW, I could swear that I had a WinXP program that might be useful as it does analyzing of data, graphs etc, if I get that wil let you know ;)

• All that tools a bit like OneNote :P

As for excel: in theory it's great, but i don't have much experience with it.
    For example i could make different columns for different data (A record, whois, etc) and then put the info on one provider in one row. The problem with this is that theres sometimes more than one whois record or a random number of A/NS records

• exussumexussum Member

so make a new row for it, with the same domain in the row pivot tables can help loads, im not sure what you want out of it but excel will be able to do it

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rajprakash said: dump it in a mysql db. query compare the shit outta that

TOAD for MySQL (the free version) allows you to do a row-by-row comparison. It's quite neat - point it at the database, select tables, and it will generate a list of all differences, and even generate a script to make either identical to the other if you wish.

@gsrdgrdghd said: As for excel: in theory it's great, but i don't have much experience with it.

For example i could make different columns for different data (A record, whois, etc) and then put the info on one provider in one row. The problem with this is that theres sometimes more than one whois record or a random number of A/NS records

There is no magic "here is what I want, now go do it" tool. You will have to learn something about databases (be it MySQL, Excel, whatever) and put your data into one in order to do any kind of analysis.

• @raindog308 said: You will have to learn something about databases (be it MySQL, Excel, whatever) and put your data into one in order to do any kind of analysis.

I know how this can be done with databases and i could also code it, but i was actually trying to avoid that and hoping for an already existing solution :D