Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need suggestions for VPS specs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need suggestions for VPS specs

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited May 2012 in General

Right guys, here's the deal. I'm a huge fan of a custom rom named OrDroid, and I want to set up a download mirror for the developer. It has to be in the EU, because I'm there too. The problem is, I need a shitload of bandwidth. Around 2TB would suffice. The general specs of the VPS leave me clueless, It's probably going to hit about 2-3k downloads a month, downloading a 500MB .zip file. Should 128MB be enough? Or would you say, bump that up a little?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

What virtualization you going for will be the key part, I imagine CPU will be up a little bit.

I would go with 256/512MB.

Just use a 32Bit minimal version of any Linux Distrobution and then the VPS should handle it fine.

• mahjongmahjong Member

it really depends. I assume it is not a p2p mirror, but a direct url/direct download one. First off, you have to calculate the high disc i/o with simultaneous downloads, so you should find a host which has good i/o rates. Also you could cap the speed and the simultaneous connections allowed, so one user wont rape the server with multiple connections to the file.
    I think the ram shouldn't be a problem.

Question: why don't you simply upload it to a free file hoster? I can recommend netkups.com - it will give you a download url AND a torrent download possibility too, while always seeding the file for you.

Well, anyway: here is a list of servers, you can choose from them, maybe you should write to the hoster before buying.

http://vps-list.cryto.net/index.php?action=list

• I wouldn't be asking around here if I wanted to upload it to some free file hoster. I'm just looking around to see if I can find something at a reasonable price, and just for my own experience of handling these things.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited May 2012

nginx should handle that fine on 128, but you may want more if it's xen/kvm for disk caching.

• Hi @birdie25,

What is your budget? We could o you a custom plan that would have enough RAM to put the file in RAM so disk IO wouldn't be an issue

Cheers

Jonny

• @birdie25 said: downloading a 500MB .zip file

@dmmcintyre3

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

Can you create a RamDisk on a vps? I wouldn't recommend OpenVZ :P

• @AsadHaider said: Can you create a RamDisk on a vps? I wouldn't recommend OpenVZ :P

Indeed, which is why Xen is ideal for RAM hosting :)

Thanked by 1Asad
  • AsadAsad Member

@Jonny_Evorack said: Indeed, which is why Xen is ideal for RAM hosting :)

I can give a thumbs up to using Evorack, good servers and excellent support.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AsadHaider said: Can you create a RamDisk on a vps? I wouldn't recommend OpenVZ :P

Can't see why not? just mount a tmpfs....

Francisco

• @birdie25 said: It has to be in the EU,

I recommend either @prometeus (iperweb) or misterhost given your bandwidth requirements.

Prometeus

VZ3: 384MB RAM/384MB VSwap, 12GB disk, 2TB BW, located in Milan
    * Disk is on a SAN and from both experience and specs, I can tell it will handle your needs w/o a hitch.
    * eu 3.90/mo + VAT (first month 50% off)
    * They have recently introduced SSD-backed KVMs if you want to go that route, and also have plans with more bandwidth + other resources.

Misterhost

Cheapest OVZ Plan: 128MB RAM/128MB VSwap, 5GB Disk, 2TB BW, located in Dusseldorf
    * After 2TB they will limit you to 10 mbits/sec instead of shutting you down
    * Disk is good from limited experience, but I don't have details.
    * eu 1.99/mo including VAT
    * They offer plans with more resources (bandwidth remains the same) as well as Xen PV.

• @Francisco said: Can't see why not? just mount a tmpfs....

Yes, IIRC folks have had great success putting the Minecraft DB in RAM on @CVPS_Chris's 2GB OpenVZs ;)

• rds100rds100 Member

It is better to host this on an OpenVZ VPS, no virtualization and i/o overhead to slow you down. And yes, you can mount a tmpfs which is essentially a RAM disk. The drawback is that the tmpfs is only half the size of your VPS RAM, so for 500MB file you need a VPS with 1GB+ RAM.

@rds100 said: It is better to host this on an OpenVZ VPS, no virtualization and i/o overhead to slow you down. And yes, you can mount a tmpfs which is essentially a RAM disk. The drawback is that the tmpfs is only half the size of your VPS RAM, so for 500MB file you need a VPS with 1GB+ RAM.

You can set a size of the tmpfs in the mount params :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

In this case a 768MB OpenVZ should do too :) Thanks, Francisco, i never knew of this mount option.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

Mind sharing, @Francisco?

mount -t tmpfs -o size=600m tmpfs /mnt/pony

Francisco

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

alvotech.de has a lotta bandwidth too, 512mb vserver for 3.90 in nl or de