Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are laptops and desktop computers becoming obsolete?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are laptops and desktop computers becoming obsolete?

Now a days every one is getting touch devices (Laptops, tablets). Every Company is in competition for sale of touch devices, even software company(MS) also be in Race with others.

Will all devices like laptops, Desktop PCs become obsolete?
Will touch laptops and Devices become the future of Computing?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2014

No.
    Touch devices are for entertainment, not for serious work. Serious work is done with mechanical keyboard, and i expect this to be true for a few years more. Or at least until computer-human mind reading interfaces become common :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

At a business level, no.

• wychwych Member

No.

• nerouxneroux Member

I assume your question is will touch input replace conventional input, right?

In this case I would say no. Touch input can be convenient in certain (especially mobile) usage patterns but is - generally speaking - close to being a nightmare for anything that exceeds a text message.

• The common man is a fool.

Thanked by 1fisle
  • For serious work i prefer desktop computer.But for entertainment i prefer touchscreen devices.But touch screen laptops does not make any difference since you cannot perform all the task using touch screen interface.Also typing speed become slow.

• PwnerPwner Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll always prefer a physical keyboard to a touchscreen one any day of the week. The advantage of using a physical keyboard is having the ability to touch type. Even while I'm typing this on my laptop, I'm not looking at the keyboard and I'm easily reaching speeds 3 or 4 times what I can achieve on a virtual keyboard.

Thanked by 2eddynetweb TheKiller
  • taronyutaronyu Member

@rds100 said:
    No.
    Touch devices are for entertainment, not for serious work. Serious work is done with mechanical keyboard, and i expect this to be true for a few years more. Or at least until computer-human mind reading interfaces become common :)

This is the reason I switched from my ipad to a Macbook. I couldn't get any work done without a keyboard.

• All tablet with no keyboard? Probably not. Tablets with keyboards, including convertible tablets, definitely shifting the trend from laptops to tablets. Desktop PC's to laptops? Not a chance. The mobility market has a long way to go before it can start sparring with the desktop.

• souensouen Member

I find touch input can be frustrating for typing text more than 4-5 paragraphs. Part of it depends on the keyboard, there's also the quest of finding a comfortable angle to type on a tablet while still being able to see the screen clearly without glare from a light source at night. Many mobile touch keyboards have predictive features, these have improved over time, but there is the problem of the keyboard picking up words you might not want it to remember. Maybe newer technology will solve the accuracy issues, probably not for several years yet.

Touch input could become a standard feature for monitors but not necessarily tablets replacing the desktop, many will still prefer a larger screen anyway for their media centres, or for work that involves graphics, monitoring things, etc.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Hmm... powerful desktop computer with real Windows and 2x 23" LCD? Or a tablet with a very slow processor, small amount of RAM, and a slow eMMC flash disk, not to mention a 7-10" screen? Desktop is obviously better here.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I do think eventually you will see the tablet in a docking station config. Sit down at your desk, set your tablet down, use full keyboard/monitor/mouse. Pick your tablet up and the OS is now in touch mode, etc.

Even then, you still won't get rid of the laptop - people need to type. And I can type faster than I can talk when it comes to structured data (e.g., I can't imagine dictating a php or perl or Java program).

The most forward-thinking tablet is, ironically, Microsoft's Surface, though they have got to knock off that "touchscreen laptop" idiocy. The most primitive is Apple's which is just Windows 3.1 with pretty icons and touch.

• what No no no ....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

We'll get there. Towers and bulky devices will move away from the position of "default" or "standard" at some point, it's inevitable. In my lifetime? Not before they develop low power, low heat, tiny graphics chipsets that pack a punch that stuns gamers everywhere. They still drive a hefty portion of the tower PC market by the numbers I've pulled out of my ass.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • mee2mee2 Member

Touch devices are good to consume the content but not to create. Desktops are still required to create the content. There are more consumers than creaters hence the number of desktops are reducing. But they will be killed is far fetched.

Thanked by 3jar Pwner TheKiller
  • Tablets and such are great for consuming content, but not for CREATING content.

Thanked by 2jar heihachi88

@Magiobiwan said:
    Tablets and such are great for consuming content, but not for CREATING content.

For now :)

jarland said: For now :)

There's no plausible scenario where that will change, though.

Speech ain't it. Sure I can dictate my next blog post but not edit a photo, edit video, write code, do 3D modeling, etc. I don't think these are fundamentally "speech processing isn't good enough" yet but rather that for some things, using your hands is several orders of magnitude more efficient.

Cybernetics? If you project that far in advance you might as well say Star Trek.

• There's a futurist by the name of Daniel Burrus, whom I had the pleasure of hearing at one of his keynotes. He put it pretty nicely. Computers aren't going obsolete, he said, they're just switching jobs.

Computers (laptops and desktops, that is) used to be used for watching videos, playing games, and reading the news, however tablets and phones do that now, and computers are being used for other things. Tablets and phones are for consuming data, computers are still being used to create it. If and when something else is created to replace that job, it's possible the computer will go obsolete but it's more likely that it will just switch to a different job again.

edited May 2014

raindog308 said: There's no plausible scenario where that will change, though.

Sure there is. Just because it's a tablet doesn't mean it can't broadcast to a large screen, use input devices, or eventually reach a hardware point that makes application development for content production make sense. None of that is far fetched and most of it is already possible, we just need more simple standard implementations and hardware improvements combined with more demand from content creators. Think of the tablet replacing the tower, not so much on the tablet being used to create with your index finger alone.

edited May 2014

jarland said: Sure there is. Just because it's a tablet doesn't mean it can't broadcast to a large screen, use input devices, or eventually reach a hardware point that makes application development for content production make sense.

OK, so that's what I was theorizing - a tablet that plugs into a desktopish form factor.

Though personally I would hate this...if I can't replace and customize hardware and software, it sucks.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Touch screen devices irritate my fingers sometimes...

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I do not know how i would use a tablet to do work on would be very difficult but a wireless keyboard and mouse and a big tv screen is probably the future though that future is already here.

• nein

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2014

lifting fingers vs moving entire hand/arm, i'll take the keyboard.

• Agree with the above Discussions: Touch Devices are for Entertainment and Desktops computers and Laptops for Business work but also all my dear friends, you can access your mails from Touch Devices so its also helpful for some small Business Tasks btw Laptops and Desktops are here to stay, they are noway going anywhere

• RLTRLT Member

I'm waiting on that 6tb tablet. But by then I'll probably need 20tb.

Just to surf, text and watch videos the tables are OK. The autocorrect San send soon stang throngs if you doing correct it continuously.

Ever try to write any thing important on a touch screen? I usually give up and wait until I am at home.

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited May 2014

No.

At least I hope not. I seriously hate touch devices when it comes to doing something critical. Sure I can play a few games on a touch device or check my mail. But if I want to write an important mail, if I have to work on a project/assignment for university, if I'm working on a website; none of these are doable without a "real" computer, at least for me. Hell, I wouldn't even go for a laptop.

• OflameoOflameo Member

Tables suck! I am not buying one.

I don't like slate phones either. Especially not their data plans. I don't like that so much phone software spies on you so extensively.

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member

it is kinda hard to process, excel using touch. You need a lot of touch. So, agree with the above comment. Yes for entertainment, not for business level