Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating VPS's Question (OpenVZ Node)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creating VPS's Question (OpenVZ Node)

KittenKitten Member
edited May 2014 in Help

I currently have this machine at my computer store in the basement that is doing nothing and we have a business internet line (100 Mbps) that was recently setup and we have 4 IPs.

We are currently only using one IP, so the rest are spare.

i3 Intel® Core™ i34x 3.3 GHz

8Gb DDR3 Ram

512GB SSD (1st Drive)
512GB SSD (2nd Drive)
1TB HDD WD Black (3rd Drive)

100 mbit internet line

I am going to set it up as an OpenVZ Node.

How would I determine the maximum number of VPS's it can handle.

I understand that OpenVZ can be "over sold" meaning I can create more VPS's than the actual number of resources the hardware has.

Again, I am obviously not going to be selling these VPS's, it's just for learning purposes.

Comments

• Its true than OpenVZ can be oversold but if you are planning to have 1 IP per VPS that will limit you to 4 VPS in total.

Other than that with this processor you could simply support a few VPS definately not for production use.

Thats my opinion though.

Regards

• BoxodeBoxode Member

You could wrap it in KVM and sell 4 spaces on it as a "dedicated server"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@viCommunications said:

Is that what you do?

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@viCommunications said:

I don't think anyone would appreciate having a dedicated server with a 100Mbit shared port.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@viCommunications said:

Great idea but if people find out that you are doing this then you are finished. I'm pretty sure that there are ways to check if you are on a virtualization. One of them is checking the CPU type, usually it says KVM but it could be changed, I doubt its the only way to check it though.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

I'm not in any way stating to do this without telling the clients. I'm saying its very cost effective, and clients are still getting dedicated and isolated resources for a lower price, ofcourse you should let the clients know.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• earlearl Member

Install proxmox on it, you can create quite a few VM's and CT's if it's just for messing about..