Luna Node Dynamic | OpenStack KVM VPS | Toronto | High availability
Luna Node Dynamic - dynamic virtualization platform (KVM)
Luna Node Dynamic is an hourly billing virtualization platform featuring rapid virtual machine deployment, hourly billing, snapshotting capabilities (and imaging existing or new virtual machines from these snapshots), an API for automation, and more. Servers are currently provisioned out of Toronto (with Cogent).
Luna Node has been around for nine months, offering reliable KVM virtual private servers at affordable prices. We use OpenStack for Luna Node Dynamic backend.
Here's a more detailed feature explanation:
- Hourly billing - only need a virtual machine for a few days, or don't know how long you'll want to use it for? Or have dynamic needs that require changing numbers of instances? Luna Node Dynamic allows you to destroy your virtual machine at any time, and then only pay for the hours (instead of months) that it was used for. The service is prepaid, with Paypal and Bitcoin (via Coinbase) as our current billing options.
- Custom operating systems - you can submit a URL (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, etc.) and the system will download your ISO image or qcow2 template. Once downloaded, you can provision new virtual machines with the custom operating system. For ISO images, OS installation can be completed via VNC.
- Snapshotting - hit a button to snapshot your virtual machine, and the current state of the disk image will be saved. You can then use it to restore your virtual machine to a previous saved state or to provision more machines. Snapshots are charged at $0.02 / GB / month (billed hourly); the first 20 GB is currently free but this is subject to change.
- High-availability - if a compute node goes down due to hardware failure, virtual machines on that node will be automatically "evacuated" to another node. If upgrades need to be performed on a node, then VMs will be live migrated with no downtime or reboot.
- API - we provide a simple API that you can use to manage your servers without going through the web UI.
- Track billing - a Billing tab is inluded in the Luna Node Dynamic panel that allows you to check your expenses for each month, with expenses sorted by day.
- Floating IP addresses - you can keep IP addresses on reserve in your account for $1/month (billed hourly). This means you can easily switch an external IP address between different virtual machines on your account. Additionally, if you don't need a VM for the time being you can snapshot it and then disassociate its floating IP address so that you only have to pay for the storage space and IP.
- Redundant cloud storage - VM's are provisioned on top of a distributed, fault-tolerant filesystem to prevent data loss
- Private virtual networks - you can create a private virtual network, and the private interface of virtual machines in that network will be isolated. (Each network is $4/month, billed hourly.)
- Load balancing, firewall, VPN as a service - inside your private network, these features are available. See https://wiki.lunanode.com/index.php/Virtual_networks for details. Currently you have to open a ticket for setup and configuration, but we are working on integrating it into the Luna Node Dynamic panel.
To get started, you can create an account from our billing panel for twelve dollars (so you will get $12.00 of credit with the initial account). More credit can be added directly from the Luna Node Dynamic panel (but support is handled through the billing panel).
You can open a ticket within the first week to request a refund of remaining credit on your account, no questions asked.
- 512 MB - 1 vCPU, 15 GB storage, 1000 GB bandwidth, $0.005 hourly ($3.6 monthly)
- 1024 MB - 2 vCPU, 20 GB storage, 1500 GB bandwidth, $0.0072 hourly ($5.18 monthly)
- Storage 250 GB - 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 250 GB storage, 1500 GB bandwidth, $0.0063 hourly ($4.54 monthly)
Port speed is 1 gbit/s. Click here for full plan list.
Test IP for Toronto location is here: http://18.104.22.168/100MB.test
There is also a legacy Chicago location, it does not have several of the features mentioned above.