Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you kidding me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you kidding me

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited May 2012 in General

Soo....

Today I found my vps offline, I asked support why and they said it was cause I am Iranian. They then quoted some sanction garbage.

Da faq? I live in the US... yea I am from there, but is that a legitimate reason if I am a us citizen.

Company is on let if they wanna speak up.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

You are a US citizen and they reject you because you are an ethnic Iranian? Good for you - find a good lawyer and get a lot of money.

And don't forget to preserve evindence about all this - i.e. take screenshots of the ticket where they said it is because you are Iranian.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I'd like to see the ticket where they say you're suspended because you're Iranian.

• They are not a is company, I think there may be a bit of a language barrier happening here.

• Us* stupid phone.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bijan588 said: They are not a is company, I think there may be a bit of a language barrier happening here.

If they aren't based in the US then what's the concern?

How did they find out you lived there? Did they take a wild guess off your name?

Francisco

• No, they got it from my facebook when I added them.

Like I said, its a french company and I don't think they getbwhat I am saying.

Google translate time.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

I know US companies can't do any business with residents in certain countries, or if your names on some big list, but if you're a US resident shouldn't be an issue. No idea about France.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

I'm with rds there, sounds like you hit the jackpot! Seriously who even has anything against Iranians? Governments do not always represent the people. I would also be interested in hearing just what it was that they said, and perhaps who they are if your interpretation is correct as I read it.

• Ill post screenies in the morning, on my blackberry in bed.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

I think this isn't right in terms of treating bijan588 like they have, but I doubt he has any pay day coming from it. Iran is indeed sanctioned by the EU and many others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran

"European Union restrictions have reduced cooperation with Iran in foreign trade, financial services, energy sectors and technologies, and banned the provision of insurance and reinsurance by insurers in member states to Iran and Iranian-owned companies. On 23 January 2012, the EU agreed to an oil embargo on Iran, effective from July, and to freeze the assets of Iran's central bank."

• vedranvedran Veteran

And he used his VPS to import oil from Iran. It all makes sense now ...

• taiprestaipres Member

@vedran said: And he used his VPS to import oil from Iran. It all makes sense now ...

No ones saying he did anything wrong, but I can understand where the companies coming from as well, even though they've overreacted. If bijan588 were still a iran citizen, which he's not, and this company did business with him, with the sanctions in place then he becomes a liability, and the company could lose their business license, etc...but that isn't the case here.

• @taipres said: Iran is indeed sanctioned by the EU and many others.

Let me emphasize what @rds100 said: @bijan588 is a U.S. citizen. His ethnicity is immaterial. Discrimination on that basis is, indeed, 100% illegal. This is not 1942.

@bijan588: time to name and shame, buddy. Suing may be...inefficient, but the least you should get instead of just a "my bad" is a complimentary month or two.

• @taipres said: but I can understand where the companies coming from as well,

Targeting based on a presumption from his name?? You seem to have your head even farther up your ass than was heretofore evident.

• DanielMDanielM Member

I can understand refusing to sell to an american client but to an iranian client thats pushing things. I would hapily sell to iranians despire any sanctions. they is always a legal loophole.

@DanielM "I can understand prejudice against one group of people, but not another."

7/10 on the troll scale there ;)

• DanielMDanielM Member

@jarland said: 7/10 on the troll scale there ;)

Welll. if i sold anything to an american i could be liable for there laws, such as the PATRIOT Act

Plus i aint a fan of america ether. Its pure evil and a imperialist nation

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@quirkyquark said: Let me emphasize what @rds100 said: @bijan588 is a U.S. citizen. His ethnicity is immaterial. Discrimination on that basis is, indeed, 100% illegal. This is not 1942.

Do yourself a favor and read what I said...i'm well aware that he's a US citizen, but he was also born in Iran...so that's what's causing the company their concern, and why I said they overreacted since he's a US citizen. All he needs to do is make them understand and it should be resolved. If they don't then he just needs to find another VPS somewhere else. Plenty of providers on here who'll do business with him i'm sure :)

@DanielM You made it too obvious when you cited a bill you clearly haven't read, then made your hatred statement a little too overblown. If you're looking to get upgraded to an 8 on the troll scale, you've got to be a little more subtle.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@jarland said: when you cited a bill you clearly haven't read, then made your hatred statement a little too overblown

Ofcourse i have read it (its one of the reasons all US based traffic is banned from any of my servers/websites.) Perhaps you should come out to see reality rather than what a piece of paper says.

And its not the american people i dislike. its the regime i do not like.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM said: Ofcourse i have read it (its one of the reasons all US based traffic is banned from any of my servers/websites.) Perhaps you should come out to see reality rather than what a piece of paper says.

Most of the top websites(and websites in general) in the world are hosted in the US...so you're doing your clients an injustice by making such a ban. But that's fine, all the business you're turning away others are welcoming with open arms :) BTW I just visited your blog and i'm from the US so you need to update your country IP ban list :P

@DanielM You failed, I visited from Texas. Men in black suits are gonna show up any second now and carry you away to an island not located on any known map and subject you to their hurricane and earthquake machines while water boarding you and screaming "USA!"

I love the Internet ;)

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • The host believed he was from Iran, so obviously they had to suspend his VPS.

But they've clearly made a mistake, don't blame them for covering their asses. Send them proof of who you are and then its fine.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: BTW I just visited your blog and i'm from the US so you need to update your country IP ban list :P

Personal websites are different to business ones. :P

• @DanielM said: Ofcourse i have read it (its one of the reasons all US based traffic is banned from any of my servers/websites.)

FAIL!

traceroute to danmeah.im (46.32.234.124), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  66.212.17.199 (66.212.17.199)  0.030 ms  0.016 ms  0.010 ms
     2  **lax2**-core01.10ge.quadranet.com (216.144.230.65)  2.590 ms  2.582 ms  2.570 ms
     3  66.186.197.173 (66.186.197.173)  2.537 ms  2.521 ms  2.509 ms
     4  lv-ten1-3-la-ten1-3.bboi.net (66.186.192.22)  8.458 ms  8.444 ms  9.418 ms
     5  chi-ten1-6-lv-ten1-3.bboi.net (64.127.128.129)  54.380 ms  54.368 ms  54.352 ms
     6  66.216.1.149 (66.216.1.149)  71.305 ms  69.656 ms  69.636 ms
     7  ny60-po1-ny111-po1.bboi.net (66.216.1.89)  69.620 ms  69.884 ms  69.868 ms
     8  lon-vl14-ny60-vl14.bboi.net (66.216.48.214)  144.805 ms  144.783 ms  144.767 ms
     9  linx1-hex.webfusion.com (195.66.225.171)  144.750 ms  145.710 ms  145.691 ms
    10  hx8-cr4.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.138)  153.657 ms  154.848 ms  154.831 ms
    11  cr4-ld4.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.142)  154.814 ms  154.803 ms  154.772 ms
    12  vps13270471139312968.123-vps.co.uk (46.32.234.124)  154.749 ms * *

• taiprestaipres Member

@DanielM said: is banned from any of my servers/websites

I took that to mean all your websites. Do you mind mentioning what your company is?

• DanielMDanielM Member

@taipres said: I took that to mean all your websites. Do you mind mentioning what your company is?

No, And why?

• DanielMDanielM Member

Where is the fail? anyone can do a traceroute? I only block US connections on business servers. Personal ones are a no-no.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM said: No, And why?

Why not? You seem proud of your US ban, I just think it'd be nice for consumers here to be aware of it so that they don't get their hopes up to go try and buy a plan from you only to be banned because they live in the US. Also some customers may want non-US servers IDK.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: Do you mind mentioning what your company is?

I'd wager this is it:

http://firstnetserv.co.uk/

Maps to a private 10.x.x.x IP, so it's rage against the WORLD, not just the US ;)

Googling "firstnetserv" gives you a number of LEB offers as well as WHT threads.