Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New customer in GreenValueHost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New customer in GreenValueHost

Hello,

I am a new customer in GreenValueHost, and I have two problems:

1) The connection speed is very slow, I did a test:

Here is the response from support:

Since it is a shared Gigabit port, speeds might be a little slow during peak hours.

Kind Regards

I remade several hours after a test, it is still very bad:

2 )The VPS is the Netherlands, but when I look on, WHOIS site. It tell me the IP are in the U.S.:

State/Region:Arizona

City:Tempe

If I do a traceroute, here is what happens:

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
1 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
2 110 110 110 4.69.146.5 -
3 112 112 113 4.69.151.134 ae-63-63.ebr3.dallas1.level3.net
4 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
5 126 113 113 4.69.202.65 ae-101-101.ebr1.atlanta2.level3.net
6 112 112 112 4.69.148.106 ae-6-6.ebr1.washington12.level3.net
7 113 113 113 4.69.143.214 ae-1-100.ebr2.washington12.level3.net
8 112 112 112 4.69.148.49 ae-55-55.ebr1.newyork1.level3.net
9 115 113 113 4.69.137.69 ae-42-42.ebr2.london1.level3.net
10 113 113 113 4.69.143.77 ae-47-47.ebr2.amsterdam1.level3.net
11 113 113 113 4.69.153.214 ae-59-224.csw2.amsterdam1.level3.net
12 111 112 112 4.69.162.150 ae-226-3602.edge5.amsterdam1.level3.net
13 114 114 124 212.72.43.6 cwie-llc.edge5.amsterdam1.level3.net
14 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
15 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
16 113 113 113 23.235.237.194 -
17 113 113 113 -

Trace complete

What do you think?

Thanked by 1darkshire

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Just FYI: Speedtest.net tests are made more for home connections, not server connections.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

Try selecting a speedtest server in NL

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I think you should raise a ticket with them if you're not happy with anything.

Thanked by 1sirmbhe
  • I wouldn't call those speeds "slow" since you're not paying for a guaranteed speed, it's shared by everyone on the node.

Also, it's possible for the IPs to show as being located in another country because that's where they registered the block or someting like that. I remember BuyVM's IPs showing as being in Canada even though the servers were in the US.

Also, I take it that's a traceroute TO your VPS using another VPS in the US/online traceroute?

• comebackcomeback Member
    edited May 2014

@matthewvz said:
    Just FYI: Speedtest.net tests are made more for home connections, not server connections.

Here's how I did the test on the VPS:

wget https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
    chmod a+rx speedtest_cli.py
    mv speedtest_cli.py /usr/local/bin/speedtest-cli
    mv speedtest_cli.py /usr/local/bin/speedtest-cli
    speedtest-cli

@hostnoob said:
    Also, I take it that's a traceroute TO your VPS using another VPS in the US/online traceroute?

I used this site:

network-tools.com/

@ndelaespada said:
    Try selecting a speedtest server in NL

Here is the result

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

Out of luck then, the other 800+ vpses on that node are using all the bw.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Pout the tests to one side for a moment; can you do everything you want to with your VPS? If yes, happy days, if not, raise that ticket.

• May be a "torrent" is slowing down the whole network.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

• @qps said:
    It appears that you are located on a Phoenix, AZ server. Try selecting a test server in Phoenix, Los Angeles, or Dallas.

I ordered a VPS in the Netherlands.

Look at my first post

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@Nekki said:
    Pout the tests to one side for a moment; can you do everything you want to with your VPS? If yes, happy days, if not, raise that ticket.

Honestly I don't see what he can raise a ticket for, it's a shared port so speeds aren't guaranteed.

If he was getting a couple mbps down/up I would understand. I guess the most they could do is see if anyone on the node is constantly abusing the network

I guess you could ask for a refund if it's within a few days and you need guaranteed network speeds (if they allow refunds in their ToS)

Thanked by 1Trulime
  • blackblack Member

You can try to speedtest with some EU servers.

wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.EU.sh -O- | bash 
  • " I want 1Gbps for $2/mo "

Just stop, please. The host node probably has a single 1Gbps port (eth0 => br0) for all the virtual machines on the node. Depending on how badly he's hurting for money, there could be up to 100 KVM machines on that node [ although I doubt it, I myself run out of CPU and I/O room before the 30th VPS, and that's on 8 drives... ]

• SakuraSakura Member

you will get what you pay for

• If speed is more important than latency/location I get 600mbps+ download on their ny6 node. You could ask to be moved there

• c0yc0y Member

Are you all so blind? The IP's whois shows the company -> Arizona, so speedtest.net picks a server close to arizona!

Of course you're going to see speeds like this if you're downloading from somewhere around Arizona across the atlantic to NL.

@comeback - your VPS is actually in NL is what the traceroute indicates, but the whois on the IP is about GVH's company address. When speed testing, try select a server in NL for accurate results.

• @c0y said:
    Are you all so blind? The IP's whois shows the company -> Arizona, so speedtest.net picks a server close to arizona!

Of course you're going to see speeds like this if you're downloading from somewhere around Arizona across the atlantic to NL.

comeback - your VPS is actually in NL is what the traceroute indicates, but the whois on the IP is about GVH's company address. When speed testing, try select a server in NL for accurate results.

How is the ping 9-10ms from Netherlands to Arizona though? Faster than the speed of light?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    Honestly I don't see what he can raise a ticket for, it's a shared port so speeds aren't guaranteed

Essentially, that was my point. Either the op is trying to create drama (which as this is GVH is always possible), or he doesn't know if he's being short-changed. If it's the latter, a ticket is the quickest way to find out if there's an issue with those speeds, or if it's in the region of what the provider would expect.

• mikegmikeg Member

said: comeback

Try using our NL speedtest:

http://lg.nl.viralvps.com/

connection is 10Gbps

• BoxodeBoxode Member

That speed is perfectly fine. I don't see an issue.

• I just test again, it's much better

• mikegmikeg Member

comeback said: comeback

Your speed will fluctuate. Those are good speeds for a shared Gbit port.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

comeback said: I just test again, it's much better

You're hosted in another country. The speed will obviously be slower than a local node because it has to pass-through multiple bandwidth providers and it was during a congested time.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I am the only one of the opinion that if you don't know if the results of a speed test are ok for your usage and you need to ask other people, you shouldn't be left in charge of a VPS?

Thanked by 2mpkossen netomx
  • wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    I am the only one of the opinion that if you don't know if the results of a speed test are ok for your usage and you need to ask other people, you shouldn't be left in charge of a VPS?

No.

• mikegmikeg Member

Nekki said: I am the only one of the opinion that if you don't know if the results of a speed test are ok for your usage and you need to ask other people, you shouldn't be left in charge of a VPS?

People have to be given the opportunity to learn. That's why he was asking the question.

• wychwych Member

@mikeg said:
    People have to be given the opportunity to learn. That's why he was asking the question.

It is a steep learning curve to climb.

• mikegmikeg Member

@wych said:
    It is a steep learning curve to climb.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@mikeg said:
    Everyone has to start somewhere.

*hear hear!

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2014

here here

We learn things every day

"Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear, hear him" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

/tongue,cheek