Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question about Debian on OpenVZ - upgrading from ver 5 to 6 then 7.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about Debian on OpenVZ - upgrading from ver 5 to 6 then 7.

bitbit Member

I know it would be easier to just do an install of Debian 7 but my host has Debian 6 at beta (for new VPS setups, but not available on reinstall) and it's not everywhere. There is no ETA on 6 being OK for deployment, and 7 would be to much of a stretch, if Debian 6 is still in beta.

I've read a couple of guides and tested the process on a test VPS. The process works as stated. I can get to Debian 6 then to Debian 7, but the kernel stays the same.

What are the pitfalls of updating/upgrading a Debian install (on OpenVZ) from Debian 5 to 6, then to 7.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

The only problem i remember when upgrading from debian 6 to debian 7 was that the old syslog package is no longer available, there is a new one instead of it, which uses a different config file. So if you have custom syslog config, you will have to do it again in the new config file on debian 7.