Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 questions

InsidieaInsidiea Member
edited May 2012 in Help

With all of the hype with IPv6, I have some questions that I hope you guys could answer.

How many usable IPS come with a /64 block?
If I wanted to point a sub-domain to an IPv6 address, how would I manage doing this in cPanel?
Does Minecraft multiplayer support IPv6 yet?

Greatly Appreciated,

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: If I wanted to point a sub-domain to an IPv6 address, how would I manage doing this in cPanel?

You will need to manually edit the virtual host directive and distill the http.conf file, cPanel is not yet IPv6 compatible via the WHM/cPanel interface

http://www.cpanel.net/2011/03/ipv6-implementation-update.html

Thanked by 1Insidiea
  • efballefball Member

How many usable IPS come with a /64 block?

1.84467440737096e+19

• @efball said: How many usable IPS come with a /64 block?

1.84467440737096e+19

So kimsufi gives that many IPv6 addresses with all of their plans?
    http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

• JacobJacob Member

DataShack give a /48 I think, Pretty standard but way too much for a individual server.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Jacob said: DataShack give a /48 I think, Pretty standard but way too much for a individual server.

Now they give /64, which is still alot

• Wouldn't this be a problem for spammers/abusers?

or do they assign the IPs sequential so you could block the whole range?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Their is an RFC that states end-users should get a /64 so the standard practice will be to block the whole /64 instead of individual IPs like IPv4.

Thanked by 1Insidiea
  • Speaking of DataShack, has anyone spoken to them in a while?, I sent them a email April 21st asking some questions, and they still haven't responded to me.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Insidiea said: Speaking of DataShack, has anyone spoken to them in a while?, I sent them a email April 21st asking some questions, and they still haven't responded to me.

Yup Im using them right now. They are great. I was having issues at 3am their time and got a response within 20 min.

• @Insidiea said: Speaking of DataShack, has anyone spoken to them in a while?, I sent them a email April 21st asking some questions, and they still haven't responded to me.

They respond to my emails within a few minutes, their great people.

• @PytoHost said: Yup Im using them right now. They are great. I was having issues at 3am their time and got a response within 20 min.
    @Daniel said: They respond to my emails within a few minutes, their great people.

Really? I guess they don't check their sales email or something. Do they offer 1gbps?

• @Insidiea said: Really? I guess they don't check their sales email or something. Do they offer 1gbps?

They did, but they've ran out of 1Gbps slots, although their new DC (in a couple of months) will be able to support many more 1Gbps servers.

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: They did, but they've ran out of 1Gbps slots, although their new DC (in a couple of months) will be able to support many more 1Gbps servers.

Ah that's good to hear, but I guess by that time OVH will probably going public in NA

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: Their is an RFC that states end-users should get a /64 so the standard practice will be to block the whole /64 instead of individual IPs like IPv4.

That is correct, and AFAIK only Evorack does it right at the moment, and provides a /64 per VPS.
    Shall see if other providers will get a clue after their whole /96 shared among all VPSes from which their SolusVM doles out nonsense like "5x IPv6" or "15x IPv6" flies right into IPv6 DNSBLs because of just one spamming user.

edited May 2012

@rm_ SolusVM just added the feature to add more than 1 IPv6 at a time to a VPS so it'll be a lot easier to do than before.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@rm_ said: That is correct, and AFAIK only Evorack does it right at the moment, and provides a /64 per VPS.

Do ipv6 need to be individually assigned (networking, etc)? That must make for hellacious startup times.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: SolusVM just added the feature to add more than 1 IPv6 at a time to a VPS so it'll be a lot easier to do than before.

Have you tried that feature? I did, it failed miserably adding IP's from a pool that has no servers assigned to it

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Sounds like solus QA to me

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r

@miTgiB I don't have IPv6 so haven't got to try it yet, sounds like nobody else has either. LoL.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Aldryic said: Do ipv6 need to be individually assigned (networking, etc)? That must make for hellacious startup times.

Yea they do that is why I haven't used mine. Plus they are not even setup. I don't have a script to add them either. No way I am spending my time adding 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IP addresses :p

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited May 2012

@PytoHost said: No way I am spending my time adding 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IP addresses :p

-Bash Scripting?-

couldn't you add them as you need?

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Insidiea said: Bash Scripting?

My level of bash knowledge is almost 0. I've been meaning to become more proficient at it, just right now I don't have time.

• AldryicAldryic Member

We have mass-ip adding scripted, and it runs rather well. But I've never seen an OVZ container be assigned a load of IPs and not drag serious ass starting up. Not to mention just how much extraneous crap that would be within mySQL.

Any providers want to load /64 onto an OVZ and test out how long it takes to boot? :3

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Aldryic said: Any providers want to load /64 onto an OVZ and test out how long it takes to boot? :3

If you have an IPv6 script I have a spare S4Y node I can test it on.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: Do ipv6 need to be individually assigned (networking, etc)?

User get own /64 subnet (with gateway) allocated to vps and then individually add addresse from this subnet on 'as need basis' to network/interfaces. It's not like any VPS provider would add all 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses of course :) There's actually more than a few Xen vps providers which give /64 subnet to every vps but so far I know only one OpenVZ provider (budgetvps.pl) where I got /64 subnet instead individual IPv6 addresses and it was actually working.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: Do ipv6 need to be individually assigned (networking, etc)? That must make for hellacious startup times.

Individually assigning 18446744073709551616 IPs, are you even serious? Even RAM on the host node itself would be nowhere near enough to do that.
    It works like Spirit described, the user gets a /64 routed to them, and may assign any IP from it they want, on a per need basis.
    Initially the user gets one IP as usual, let's say 2001:db8::100, and the host also does something like the following on their host node or the IPv6 router:

ip -6 route add 2001:db8:1:2::/64 via 2001:db8::100

Then that user can use any IP from 2001:db8:1:2::/64 within their VPS at will.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@rm_ said: Individually assigning 18446744073709551616 IPs, are you even serious? Even RAM on the host node itself would be nowhere near enough to do that.

It works like Spirit described, the user gets a /64 routed to them, and may assign any IP from it they want, on a per need basis.

@Spirit said: It's not like any VPS provider would add all 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses of course :)

Actually, I could probably name a couple that would try XD

Thanks for the insight, gents. I figured something along these lines would end up being the practical application. To be honest I was curious to see if any providers would step up and say "yeah, we do that" :3

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

You can assign a /64 to the user, but if they block you for doing something shady on one of the ip's under that /64, you'll l use everything under that /64. They might do a host block, but I doubt it.

Personally giving /64's away denies you some unique opportunities to do some better accounting with your v6 address space. You can literally have a section represent different hardware, different customers, anything.

Company that I still engineer for until I replace my pay with my business, we have blocks that represent different network types like MPLS, or hardware such as Cisco or Juniper and if it's a firewall, router, switch, or load balancer.

That way when there's an outage you can look at the IP and completely know what you're dealing with based on what is in it's iP.

• IPv6 assignments work a lot differently than IPv4. IPv6 is heavy on the prefix/suffix model. So the way it's actually broken up is the first 48 bits is the routing prefix (not sure if I'm getting these names correct and too lazy to look it up) The next 16 bits is the subnet. The final 64 bits is then the interface identifier. One way of assigning that final 64 bits is by using the mac address of the interface. Forget how it's converted now since a mac address is only 48 bits but there's some automated way of doing it. Typically though you'll see (the first 64 bits)::2 as an ipv6 address. For example my IPv6 address is 2001:470:1f10:108e::2

So the hosting provider asks for an IPv6 address. They're pretty much just given a /48 because there's so many IPs available. The ISP then routes a /64 to a customers server who can then use it how they see fit. The hosting provider is probably given a /40 or similar. From a routing standpoint that means the routers of the internet only need to be concerned with the first 32-40 bits of the address. Those are then sent to an ISP that only then cares about the next 8-16bits which is then directed to the end user which will probably only use a handful of those addresses.

To give an idea on the numbers here that means the provider has 16 bits of address space to subnet. 16 bits is 65536 subnets. Another fun fact is the ENTIRE IPv4 address space is 32 bits, or 4,294,967,296 addresses.

• efballefball Member

One way of assigning that final 64 bits is by using the mac address of the interface.

MAC address is 48 bits
    EUI-64 = 1st 24 bits of MAC + fffe + last 24 bits of MAC
    MAC: e0:cb:4e:d8:95:6b
    IPv6 address: 2001:db8::e0cb:4eff:fed8:956

radvd (router advertisement daemon) assigns these addresses automatically.
    A couple of VPS hosts I use have radvd running. Hostigation assigned one manual address and I got a 2nd from radvd.