Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to easy move KVM servers to different providers ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to easy move KVM servers to different providers ?

KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Hi, I have a couple of VMs in Digital Ocean and would like to move them to VulTR, I've been googeling and saw different options, but all pretty complex, and I have CERO experience in this.

Any idea or experiences that you can share ? what's the easiest one ?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

You can rsync your data over from DO to Vultr which is fairly easy to do.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • BlastVMBlastVM Member

@matthewvz said:
    You can rsync your data over from DO to Vultr which is fairly easy to do.

I completely agree with this. rsync would be the most ideal way to move the Data. also to the OP could you tell us what the Digital Ocean VPS are used for so we could provide you with the best commands to move the data across.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • LowENDLowEND Member

R1Soft Bare-Metal Restore

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

You could ask your provider for a backup of your vps files, usually they are able to put it all in a single .tar file with 1 click.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

KVM inside KVM, else boot recovery and dd image of the old one. (Migrated a KVM to Vultr this way)

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • As someone pointed out above, Idera's R1soft bare metal restore would be the best option but it will cost you.If you are interested in this then contact @George_Fusioned as he might be able to do this cheaply for you.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Idera seems to be the easiest way, depending on the cost will go that way. Already sent message to George. There would me be more options if Digital Ocean would have boot ISO/CD capabilities.

Rest of options look more complex, and clonezilla requires booting from CD in both cases, right ?

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

@Mark_R I don't think that a large provider like Digital Ocean would do that "favor" to me.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@KeyJey said:
    Mark_R I don't think that a large provider like Digital Ocean would do that "favor" to me.

It doesn't hurt to try.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Mark_R said: It doesn't hurt to try.

U're right ;)

• I wouldn't do a full system move. DO has a lot of junk in their temples that might not move over correctly (don't they mirror the Ubuntu repositories internally?).

matthewvz said: You can rsync your data over from DO to Vultr which is fairly easy to do.

On a more generic scale, I was planning on moving providers. Is it safe to move from one container to another by what is essentially a copy and paste?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

Usually with Linux you can just migrate the whole image file (doesn't exist if you're using LVM, but then you can take snapshot). Many providers would let you import it (for example iwStack lets you upload template from qcow2; if your image is raw format you can convert with qemu-img convert; for others probably you can open ticket).

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Silvenga said: I wouldn't do a full system move. DO has a lot of junk in their temples that might not move over correctly (don't they mirror the Ubuntu repositories internally?).

All my VMs are CentOS :)

• smansman Member
    edited May 2014

cd / tar -cvpzf backup.tar.gz --exclude=/backup.tar.gz --one-file-system /

More details and variations on how this could be done.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/TAR

DO has an rsync backup procedure that could be useful.
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-create-an-off-site-backup-of-your-site-with-rsync-on-centos-6

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

LowEND said: R1Soft Bare-Metal Restore

Is it possible to restore in a smaller disk with R1Soft ?

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

sman said: sman

Sure it's more complex than that. My problem is that I don't have much hours to spend in this :)

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2014

+1 for rsync

rsync -avP --numeric-ids --exclude='/dev' --exclude='/proc' --exclude='/sys'
    root@oldhost:/ /path/to/destination/

sure this is only the first step and there is some work required afterwards to move files in correct place, but after all its the easiest way and should be always possible to do...

• Bare Metal Restore would probably work if it wasn't for DO's custom KVM implementation.
    Normally you need identical hardware in order to do a Bare Metal Restore with R1Soft/Idera.

We could give it a try but I can't promise much...

• If you have the time a fresh install is a pretty good idea, then just move across all the files you need to like www root etc. Good way to make sure everything is up to date and to maybe free up some resources by removing dead weight you found out you didn't really need or forgot about.

Obviously that's not really applicable for everyone though especially if you have to re-provision multiple VMs. Maybe worth considering though.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • MonsteRMonsteR Member

rsync is your best option, Here is a tut encase you need one. http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-use-rsync-transfer-mirror-files-directories.html

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • twaintwain Member

dd or some kind of raw image (perhaps from a backup? Never used DO..) is likely the best way.. Serverian was able to restore one of my KVM raw images for me one time.. however not sure how willing vultr will be to restore from raw...

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Hi, regarding this, I'll try your suggestions when have some hours. Thanks for your help :)

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

I think I will try the rsync option, seems the most coherent way, also as I said before, destination has a smaller disk. Obviously, the partition is almost empty, it's just a couple of VoIP servers !

Thanks again ;)

• WilliamWilliam Member

twain said: . however not sure how willing vultr will be to restore from raw...

Not needed.

Boot GRML, scp image to HDD; reboot, done

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • KeyJeyKeyJey Member

William said: Boot GRML, scp image to HDD; reboot, done

This shouldn't work with a smaller partition, right ?

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited May 2014

@serverian already prompted the best answer. why search more?

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

emre said: serverian already prompted the best answer. why search more?

I think clonezilla doesn't alow restore in a smaller partition.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

William said: Boot GRML, scp image to HDD; reboot, done

Vultr allows mounting ISO now?

Edit: oh cool, didn't know

Edit2: anyway you can resize the image partitions on your own computer / server

Edit3: if you're using Vultr you can probably also get larger disk, copy from image file to disk device, then resize partition with something like parted on live CD, and then downgrade it or snapshot and provision from snapshot.