Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

assigned ips
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

assigned ips

flyfly Member
edited May 2012 in General

What happens to assigned ip's after a customer cancels a vps? Is it reassigned later? What about providers that assign a whole block of ip's?

Comments

• If I get a big block, use it for an extended amount of time, and cancel it - the hosting company will reuse them. No different from the phone company reusing phone numbers

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

Aren't IP's purchased on a monthly basis?

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Jeffrey said: Aren't IP's purchased on a monthly basis?

If you don't own the IP block then yes. If you do own the IP block you pay yearly.

• @Jeffrey said: Aren't IP's purchased on a monthly basis?

Depends on the host you're getting them from. As pyto noted if you own the IP's yourself you pay yearly. Otherwise it's up to the host you lease them from.

• The amount of times that someone rented a MC server, then cancelled, then 2 months later when another customer now is using the same IP, and that person who used to rent it comes on and grief's and accuses the server owner of "stealing" their server, amazes me.

But yeh, they go back into a pool to be reused. Because IPv4's are hard to get assigned now, its just far easier (and cost-effective) to just reuse them.

• I recycle IPs immediately if a service is cancelled, or after 21 days if the person hasn't paid and doesn't show willing to (which seldom happens).
    I try to use all the 'newer', IPs first and check IPs in the 'spare' pool for blacklisting regularly.

• JacobJacob Member

@unixguru
    Let spamhaus know your IP Ranges, They notify you when you are listed. I have hourly checks and notifications sent to my phone.

I don't really fuss about a IP recently put back in our Pool being used again, We rarely have IPs available, About 2 IPv4 left as of now.

• @Jacob, thanks for the tip.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Jacob said: About 2 IPv4 left as of now.

That must make sales interesting

• TaylorTaylor Member

@miTgiB said: That must make sales interesting

>

He cant be talking about all 3 of his locations?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said: We rarely have IPs available, About 2 IPv4 left as of now.

I remember what that was like. Running out of IPs every 24 hours for the first few weeks, then running out every month.