Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End VPS - does it matter which country?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End VPS - does it matter which country?

Im in the UK and would like a VPS for low-end non-commercial projects.
Does it mattery whether the VPS is in UK/Europe or the US??

Thanks

Comments

• Support your local economy, get one in your country.

Otherwise it doesn't matter that much.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

+1 Support local economy.

Unless your using it for Geo-IP purposes or to deliver a local server to the target audience no.

If your using it for DNS or email however you should have a 2nd box elsewhere for failover reasons.

• retryretry Member

Yes, especially for Geo restricted content and latency sensitive applications.

• Id be using external mail host and cloudflare for DNS.

• I always prefer EU VPS because of better connection and my backup VPS is a German provider located in Germany. Because I don't feel save having all my important files (pictures, music, documents etc) in the US or something like that.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • trexos said: Because I don't feel save having all my important files (pictures, music, documents etc) in the US or something like that.

Yeah me too. Most countries are not much better and I don't mind hosting inconsequential stuff there but I would rather keep my data inside the EU due to tighter laws (which probably aren't being followed, especially living in the UK with the GCHQ, but y'know).

• souensouen Member

Dpends on usage, as a dev box it probably doesn't matter. Go with one in the country for better latency. If cost is a factor you might find better deals for US locations.

• Sometimes, yes. E.g., If you have a box for, let's say, backup purposes, it is better to locate it near the original server to reduce transfer time. As closer a server is to another, better the speeds you have (not always, but usually).

• LeeLee Veteran

+1 support local, but if it's cheaper elsewhere go there instead.. :P

• rds100 said: support your local economy, get one in your country.

In my country, a 10Mbit port costs $100 a month. No thanks.
    (Australia)

• nooknook Member

@geeksoup said:
    Im in the UK and would like a VPS for low-end non-commercial projects.
    Does it mattery whether the VPS is in UK/Europe or the US??

Thanks

The UK seems to be more DMCA compliant and has worse privacy laws than other EU countries, I personally would recommend an EU host over a UK host.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @nook said:
    The UK seems to be more DMCA compliant and has worse privacy laws than other EU countries, I personally would recommend an EU host over a UK host.

Very true, virtually non existent privacy laws compared to somewhere like DE or AT is the main reason I am moving all my stuff out the UK...

Don't get many real DMCA requests, so no comment there.

Thanked by 1nook
  • @viCommunications said: In my country, a 10Mbit port costs $100 a month. No thanks. (Australia)

>

Wow..
    I think Indonesia already expensive, but seeing this? :-D

• nooknook Member
    edited April 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    Don't get many real DMCA requests, so no comment there.

Haha why were you ever based in the UK? :D I mean yeah okay London is like one of the main if not biggest internet hubs in the world, but that is all dragged down by the overall faggotry with privacy and DMCA compliance.

P.S. AT & DE are good choices but Luxembourg or Switzerland are better ;)

• nook said: Haha why were you ever based in the UK? :D I mean yeah okay London is like one of the main if not biggest internet hubs in the world, but that is all dragged down by the overall faggotry with privacy and DMCA compliance.

P.S. AT & DE are good choices but Luxembourg or Switzerland are better ;)

I'm located in the UK, so it's good for low ping. However, I get lower ping to colorhost in Germany than I do to my UK VPS's!

• linuxthefish said: Very true, virtually non existent privacy laws compared to somewhere like DE or AT is the main reason I am moving all my stuff out the UK...

Not true at all, we have many laws about data protection, storage and privacy - both through the Eu and our own local laws.

Wether or not they're obeyed is another thing entirely. Hosts may not want the annoyance of clients that generate them but a DMCA is not valid in the United Kingdom. If our laws were followed to the letter I think we'd be way ahead of many countries.

There's the data protection act, various privacy laws and rights including 'Telephone Tapping & Interception of Communications' and 'Surveillance and Undercover Human Intelligent Sources'.

• kyakykyaky Member

@viCommunications said:
    (Australia)

try a "dirty cheap" TPG ADSL2+. you get a 10M downlink if you are lucky. NBN? forget it.