Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode Review

I've been with Ramnode since November of last year. I first bought a 128mb VPS to fool around with, learning Linux, small webhost, ect. I bought it in Seattle, and transferred it to Atlanta (and today to NL). They've always been quick about moving the servers around to different places.

I can't say anything bad about their support. Notably, Nick has always been the one to quickly reply to my tickets. Kudos to you!

I bought another VPS in Atlanta (VPN for vacation) and moved it to the Netherlands when I returned. Upon arrival, I updated the OS (Debian; sudo apt-get update) and found it took 3 minutes 11 seconds to update 16MBs of updates. There's a problem with ipv6 limiting precicely to 86.7kb/s. After waiting for updates, I manually disabled ipv6 within the system settings and it's been quick like bunny.

Overall, very cheap prices and robust support. You definitely do not sacrifice quality with Ramnode. Looking to buy more servers from them when my next paycheck rolls in.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Re: location changes with RamNode, this weekend I enquired about not only moving from Seattle, but from changing an SSD-cached plan to a pure SSD one. I expected a response along the lines of 'do you want to keep your existing VM's data, because it'll be quicker if you don't', but what I actually got was 'done', and a VM in Atlanta with everything running as it was before - this was on a Saturday evening in the UK too. Impressive stuff.

Thanked by 2Cikon Nick_A
  • I have on of their 128MB SSD-cached VPS and I love the 50GB disk space for my backups :)

Thanked by 2Nick_A linuxthefish
  • Have been keeping an eye on my 2gb ssd-cached for around 3 months now, I think the performance is good enough to move some important stuff there.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks guys!

@Cikon - that IPv6 issue is quite annoying. We have a script that forces things over IPv4 as much as possible, but it's not perfect. Still looking into it.

• XeiXei Member

RamNode provides a really great service. I think they may have a New York location coming, would be my 3rd location with them if it opens up. :p

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Would be better if their 512MB KVM was cheaper.

• nunimnunim Member

Gotta say +1 for RamNode, my only complaint was when I switched from a CVZ to SVZ, I told them I didn't care about my data but wasn't informed that an IP change was required. Was wondering for a day or so why my VPS wasn't responding, only after multiple re-installs did I find out my IP had changed.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@nunim - IP change would not have been required. Perhaps it was just a miscommunication that we didn't know you wanted to keep the same one. I'm guessing one of us terminated the old VPS and created a new VPS, which often uses a new IP.

• I also have 2 of them,really great.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2014

@Internet said:
    Would be better if their 512MB KVM was cheaper.

Or maybe not. They provide a quality service, which costs money to do. They deserve every penny they get, and then some.

• gracagraca Member

ramnode is good host, very recommended, been with them more than 1 years, never had any serious problems, just this weekend 1 of my vps with them, off for 2 hours (observium), and that's the longest down time I experienced.

Comparing their service and the price that I pay, I can live with that 2 hours off, I have experienced with the other "big boys" here, and when your vps instance is down, they never start it up, I have to manually boot it from cp, this kind annoying especially in the weekend or when you travelling.

Keep up your good work Nick!

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Great service indeed. One of the best providers. The hosting and support are better than bigger hosts 10x the cost.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • I've got 3 VPSes with them and so far everything has been excellent. The only downtime I have experienced was due to network or node maintenance and notification is provided before that maintenance occurs. I'm using OVZ because it was cheaper than KVM, but both are excellent services. Support just plain rocks too. IRC is a nice option if it's something quick, but submitting a ticket usually gets it answered in 30 minutes or less, depending on time of day and what the issue is.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • BradBrad Member

I have a VPS in every location with RamNode and it has been smooth sailing. Support is friendly and quick, speeds are great and performance is solid. What else could you want? Looking forward to that NY location opening up soon ;)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • khavkhav Member

I have a kvm vps located in Atlanta that i use for production.Support is awesome as always and the performance is topnotch.The only downtime was for 10 mins , which was due to an iptables issue.Nick was kind enough to find what was wrong although the server is unmanaged.

What i love the most with ramnode is that you get a feeling that they really want to do business with you and don't mind to go an extra end :)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

graca said: Comparing their service and the price that I pay, I can live with that 2 hours off, I have experienced with the other "big boys" here, and when your vps instance is down, they never start it up, I have to manually boot it from cp, this kind annoying especially in the weekend or when you travelling.

And if they do reboot your VM they usually tell you, on some of my VM I haven't set up init script so have to restart some services manually, so notification helps a lot (I have zabbix too, but too many notifications :P).

RamNode has the best support overall for any LEB host I've used, and I've used quite a few.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @graca said:
    ramnode is good host, very recommended, been with them more than 1 years, never had any serious problems, just this weekend 1 of my vps with them, off for 2 hours (observium), and that's the longest down time I experienced.

Comparing their service and the price that I pay, I can live with that 2 hours off, I have experienced with the other "big boys" here, and when your vps instance is down, they never start it up, I have to manually boot it from cp, this kind annoying especially in the weekend or when you travelling.

Keep up your good work Nick!

an unmanaged host not managing your VPS for you :O

• gracagraca Member

yes its open to interpretation on what considered the limit, but I know some host are making sure their client container is up.

its also good to monitor server resources when you have a lots of clients

• nunimnunim Member
    edited April 2014

@Nick_A said:
    nunim - IP change would not have been required. Perhaps it was just a miscommunication that we didn't know you wanted to keep the same one. I'm guessing one of us terminated the old VPS and created a new VPS, which often uses a new IP.

@Nick_A I figured something like that, I told the tech just to create me a new container so I accept that it was a communication error, wasn't a big enough issue to make me cancel my 6 RamNodes, just one of those Grrr! moments.

All in all, I'm a very happy customer and will continue to be for the foreseeable future :) Keep up the great work!

Thanked by 1Nick_A