Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap LEB in Europe, for Mumble/Teamspeak, Website, Blog
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap LEB in Europe, for Mumble/Teamspeak, Website, Blog

m1awm1aw Member
edited April 2014 in Requests

I'm looking for LEB offers in EUROPE (please post Looking Glass or some network test).

• I want to do some personal projects, the first of them is to do a Mumble or Teamspeak 3 server. There will not be more then 10 persons at the same time in there so is just some small thing. So it needs to have a good ping to Portugal.

• I will be hosting a my personal webpage (static atm), maybe using nginx or some lightweight http server.

• I will be doing some random projects just to learn with Node.js or Ruby on Rails, might use postgreSQL, sqlite or mongo, idk yet.

• I will be using it as an IRC Client (irssi)

• I don't want to spend more then 5 euros if possible, can go a bit up

I'm not sure how much do i need in terms of hardware / specs to run all this, but around 512MB or 1GB might be enough. I'm not going to use it for any backups or anything so i think 20GB disk space is enough. Not sure if SSD is worth.

I have been looking for some providers, but i'm not sure.

RamNode, I'm think this is my first choice, since the community loves them but i'm not sure if OpenVZ is the way to go.

DigitalOcean, They are loved so much by the Webdev community but and they their offers seems better the RamNode since without any discount they are cheaper. And they are using KVM.

INIZ, the offer they have in the Top10Q1 is amazing, but so good that i'm a bit affraid, plus it might be overkill, and i'm really on a small budget and if i can save anything it is worth for me (even if it is one euro).

TLDR
- Europe, Mumble / Teamspeak, Website, Node.js / RoR, postgre / sqlite, irssi, Cheap

EDIT: Added price limit that i forgot

Comments

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited April 2014

I don't want to spend more then

You forgot to add the price!

As for OpenVZ and KVM, you won't notice much of a difference if the host is reliable. KVM does not stop the host from overselling a node - it just makes it harder. If you're going with RamNode or INIZ, you are virtually sure to have good performances on their OpenVZ VPS. I wouldn't say no to DigitalOcean, but they are known to have quite frequent network issues and their nodes don't have exceptional I/O speeds even though DO uses SSDs. RamNode's performances are above DO's.

Considering the services you're going to run, I would recommend being careful with RAM. Get enough RAM, 2GB should be plenty and give you a bit of an overhead. Some recommendations would be INIZ - they have some pretty good high-RAM plans - and GinerNet, with their VPS being located in Spain.

Thanked by 2m1aw jmginer
  • You can't go wrong with Ramnode.

• You need to add at least $5 of your own money but the coupon "DEPLOY2DO" will give you $10 free credit on Digital Ocean. Might help to sway you.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited April 2014

Vultr or Iniz (This deal)?

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We can do NL for $3/m with 25GB disk, 1GB RAM and 1TB BW. Free wildcard SSL included.

Nodes are dual E5-2620v2 with 6 Disks and 2 SSD's for caching.

PM me for more info.

• sc754sc754 Member

@VMbox said:
    We can do NL for $3/m with 25GB disk, 1GB RAM and 1TB BW. Free wildcard SSL included.

PM me for more info.

Your TOS/AUP looks suspiciously like ramnodes

@sc754 said:
    Your TOS/AUP looks suspiciously like ramnodes

I agree.

• m1awm1aw Member

@VMbox said:

PM me for more info.

That looks fishy, your website basically is a template with TOS/AUP copied from Ramnode, the website is not even consistent with in itself and some links don't even work. You are flagged in WOT as spam.

@m1aw said:
    That looks fishy, your website basically is a template with TOS/AUP copied from Ramnode, the website is not even consistent with in itself and some links don't even work. You are flagged in WOT as spam.

I've asked Nick and he's given me permission. Thanks for your concern.

• m1awm1aw Member

@VMbox said:
    I've asked Nick and he's given me permission. Thanks for your concern.

To clarify, i wasn't the one that flagged you on WOT, it just poped up as soon as i opened the site.

@m1aw said:
    To clarify, i wasn't the one that flagged you on WOT, it just poped up as soon as i opened the site.

Cool. Never heard of it.

• BradBrad Member

RamNode all the way.

• m1awm1aw Member
    edited April 2014

Can someone find a network test / looking glass of INIZ* NL datacenter?

• @m1aw said:
    Can someone find a network test / looking glass of INIX NL datacenter?

You mean INIZ right? http://ams-nl.lg.iniz.com/

Thanked by 1m1aw
  • m1awm1aw Member

@george said:
    You mean INIZ right? http://ams-nl.lg.iniz.com/

Thanks, that was what i was looking for.

Btw what you guys think of OVH Classic 2 VPS?

• @m1aw said:
    Btw what you guys think of OVH Classic 2 VPS?

Very slow I/O speed. 10-14 MB/s.

• @Internet said:
    Very slow I/O speed. 10-14 MB/s.

So? It works great for the things he would like to do

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2014

We still have our old 1GB yearly promo still available which may be cheaper for you if you're looking to pay yearly and half cost of the 2GB/3GB promo:
    https://my.iniz.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=101

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

• sc754sc754 Member

@INIZ said:
    We still have our old 1GB yearly promo still available which may be cheaper for you if you're looking to pay yearly and half cost of the 2GB/3GB promo:
    https://my.iniz.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=101

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Is that ssd cached?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2014

@sc754 said:
    Is that ssd cached?

NL, no (we never needed it due to bigger disk arrays). Our LA node does and some of our NYC nodes do (depending on the one you are put on we can move you if required to SSD cached)

• sc754sc754 Member

@INIZ said:
    NL, no (we never needed it due to bigger disk arrays). Our LA node does and some of our NYC nodes do (depending on the one you are put on we can move you if required to SSD cached)

How many disks is it on the NL node(s)?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2014

@sc754 said:

10-12 and bigger raid cache (2GB vs 1GB in US).

• m1awm1aw Member

And what about GVH, i know you guys give them a lot of crap, but why? There VPS are cheap as f*, are they absolutely not worth it?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I would not put stuff on a GVH Server whats important or dont even think about to buy GVH. As i ordered my VPS i got email but ipv4 wasnt working and the vps itself also tooks hours to resolve that, also when you read here the posts from GVH just stay away.

• m1aw said: And what about GVH, i know you guys give them a lot of crap, but why? There VPS are cheap as f*, are they absolutely not worth it?

You want cheap or reliable? Out of your list RamNode (and maybe INIZ, never tried) is the only one really offering both (with coupons).

• @mm1aw - GVH went to NL in the past month.
    GVH has very young management
    GVH seems to have a greater than average number of interesting threats here and other boards
    GVH had some unique comments about legacy customers for lines of business they stopped offering.

There are many stable providers like ramnode and digital ocean. RamNode seems to be loved around here and digital ocean is loved by the venture capitalists. Digital ocean is pay by the minute try it for a week for $1.25 US and see if it works out for you

Thanked by 1m1aw
  • ** oops that was threads not threats- my typing is poor

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited April 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    I would not put stuff on a GVH Server whats important or dont even think about to buy GVH. As i ordered my VPS i got email but ipv4 wasnt working and the vps itself also tooks hours to resolve that, also when you read here the posts from GVH just stay away.

A lot of things have changed since then and we've made a lot of significant improvements as well, both in infrastructure as well as support.

If you would like to PM me with more information regarding the inconveniences that you've experienced I will gladly have them looked into and promptly addressed.

@mm1aw I understand that you may have doubts as to the quality of our services but I can assure you that at this time we're completely stable inside and out, and offer a good service for the prices that we charge. If there's anything that you feel that we need to address please let me know and I'll gladly take care of anything you may need

We're continuing to make improvements and in fact we are planning on offering an even more premium Amsterdam/NL hosting experience (with better connectivity across Europe, and free SSLs) by switching from PhoenixNap's network to SingleHop's.

• BradBrad Member
    edited April 2014

Isn't that what you always say? Better infracture and support, but we never see it.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited April 2014

@Brad said:
    Isn't that what you always say? Better infracture and support, but we never see it.

Things are getting better slow and steady. Rushing things was what caused a complete mess of our company earlier this year and we've learned from it. We're nearly finished moving CC Dallas to QuadraNet Dallas which will allow for IPv6 support and also we're in the progress of moving CC Los Angeles to QuadraNet Los Angeles which will allow IPv6 in addition to Asian optimized IPs. Also, something else that customers may notice is that we've started deploying more Dual Quad core servers as opposed to E3s for increased reliability.

The change from PhoenixNap -> SingleHop for new Amsterdam VPS deployments will be happening soon which will allow for discounted internal cPanel/WHM licenses, discounted EU IPv4 addresses, free SSLs, and better network connectivity.