Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MediaTemple Thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MediaTemple Thoughts?

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Overall service of speed/service/reliability?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Very large, bugger than us for example. They have been around for quite some time.

• I knew a few people who used MT and they swore by them. They were not in the cheapy market back then, they were more comparable to Rackspace / HP Managed Services.

Not sure about these days. I thought they were acquired

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

Acquired by GoDaddy.

• They're one of those hosts I always hear (or heard at least) praise for, a long with companies like Dream Host and A Small Orange. Probably a solid choice, the GoDaddy connection would scare me a bit though.

• RBHRBH Member

I have used MediaTemple before quite specifically I ordered a VPS. I used it for a good two and a half years and the service was rock solid and exceptional.

A very reliable provider.

• @RBH just out of interest, did you hold any services after Oct 20123 (GoDaddy's acquisition)?

• RBHRBH Member

I cancelled my services couple of months before the acquisition, however according to MediaTemple's FAQ, both parties operate independently of each other.

http://mediatemple.net/blog/2013/10/15/faqs-about-the-godaddy-acquisition/

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited April 2014

I had shared-ish hosting with media temple before it was cool :P actually it was cool then as well, 2007 maybe i'm not sure. anyways the control panel was absurd back then, i'm sure it still is. it's just too complicated, everything is on another server, you had to know each server your different mysql databases would be randomly created on, etc.

i considered going back to them earlier this year or late 2013 not sure, and reviews were not good everybody is complaining about "overcrowdedness" etc, they're probably right. I can easily see that happening.

it's also unclear what your limitations are on each od their services, be it ram allocation or cpu usage.

i ended up going with webfaction, which has comparibly sh**ty control panel, and i can't provide much feedback on the performance as my website has been pretty much idle since the beginning. it looked better on paper vs MT, and haven't had any issues.

they r also 'lax about payment (webfaction) if you fall behind a little, they r not in a rush to suspend you

so in this weird segment of the industry i'd say WF > MT

• I've been using (mt)'s grid for a while now, and the're great. Totally worth the $20/mo.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

thanks guys, I run multiple website and have started using these guys in all honesty due to a lot of media website use them, as in record labels etc... which makes me think they gear up there gear to handle a lot of load streaming music etc.. thoughts?

• RBHRBH Member

@davenz exactly what service do you plan on ordering from MediaTemple? If you plan on going with their Grid Shared Hosting plans I do not recommend them.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

A Small Orange is an EIG company. MediaTemple is a GoDaddy company. You just can't win :(

• I used Media Temple around 3 years ago for their Grid Hosting. That time there were many limitations like the following

1) Cannot set individual email quota
    2) Cannot add alias for domain easily, we had to add as a new site and then forward to parent domain
    3) Cannot have more than 1 SSL enabled site on one account

I don't know whether they fixed them or not

For VPS they seems much overpriced, for 20$ you can get much better deals from providers like Linode.

• @praveen 3. has been fixed. But yeah I agree that aliases are annoying to make.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

i'm using it for general media web hosting.. the problem is cause they have been around for years i feel the alternatives on here are guys in there bedrooms with servers in data centres and i know that they are 24/7 and i can talk to someone..unless there is a lowend service like that?