Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers: What is your "internal bandwidth cap" for a single VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers: What is your "internal bandwidth cap" for a single VM

AmitzAmitz Member
edited April 2014 in General

Dear all,

I have read much about CPU cores and at which extent they may be used at different providers. But what about bandwidth? Let's say I have a website that continously uses around 20 Mbps. Given that I have 7 TB of traffic with my plan - Would that be okay for the most of you?

You will, of course, say: "You bought 7 TB, you get 7 TB! Spikes can always happen!". But I rather mean: Is a single VM, that is using 20 Mbps all day long, already considered as "abusive" or "disruptive for other customers"?

If the whole node is connected with 100 Mbps and only one customer uses already 20% of that connectivity on a permanent basis, then neighbours cannot burst that high. It is surely less important with a 1 Gbps connection.

However, how do you see/handle customers like this?

Kind regards

Amitz

P.S: Let's leave the "that is a classic scenario for a dedicated server" answers aside, please... ;-)

Comments

• Uplink abuse (75Mbit on 100Mbit locations, 750Mbit on Gbit locations burst for a maximum of 1hour per day)

http://wiki.edis.at/faq:termsofservice

From my POV that is pretty fair.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, if the provider can afford to sell 7TB of BW with his plans, I'd assume that all the nodes are connected to either 1 or 2x1 gbps and 20mbps, sustained would be good and reasonable. I, myself have never sold high bandwidth VMs on the LET/LEB market, so I can not comment from a provider side of view.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2014

@William:

Network limitations

This limitations are reason for suspension and on continued non-compliance termination.

• Extreme high packets per second using applications, while the limit is not hardset 250kPP/S should be seen as it.
    • Uplink abuse (75Mbit on 100Mbit locations, 750Mbit on Gbit locations burst for a maximum of 1hour per day)

Understandable and very fair. But what about 20 Mbps? I am not talking about bursts or spikes, but continuous usage.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2014

If that fits the BW included in the plan, why not? That question only arises in 100Mbit locations anyway and these are getting less and less.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Limiting is only for the cloud and atom backup plans (discontinued).
    The limits for the cloud are 100 mbps for 384 MB instance, 300 mbps for 512 MB and 600 mbps for all others. There are generally problems if the 300 mbps limit is passed on any VM for more than a few hours, this might mean something went wrong, over 600 there is not enough spare capacity on the line and we observe it carefully, if it stays like that, something definitely is wrong, we contact the owner. 800 and over, it is shutdown and contact the owner, the risk of starting to lose packets is too big for the node. links are 1 gbps on all nodes, of course, biz and ssd plans have much fewer VMs on them being 16 and 32 GB ram respectively.

That being said, we do not accept the excuse I wasnt doing anything whent he traffic is up, if the vm was hacked and the owner didnt watch the traffic or anything for that matter, tough luck, we may catch it at times, but in others, not.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

If the provider has sold you 7TB of bandwidth, they should have no problem with you using 20Mbps all day and night long, 24/7. Otherwise how would you be able to use that 7TB and what exactly are they selling to you?

20Mbps x 24 hours x 30 days = 6TB by the way.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

20 mbps is nothing, we had people burning 20 TB a month on one VPS. Others were doing 60-80k pps without DDoSing, that is a bit hard on the gear at times, if you got more than a few on a node it might start to show.

• As long as someone doesn't try to burn their entire allocation in a single weekend I'm okay with people using what we sell them.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

You will get what you pay. I think that every provider here do the same. For example 15TB AbusiveCores VPS.