Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Any folks read the Vultr T&C's before buying?

Thanked by 1tux
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited April 2014

My question is: isn't this one of the providers that requires a scan of your ID? (Credit card IIRC)?

What did they do with that info? Did they securely destroy it? Or, is there a Data Retention law where they have the data stored that prevents them from doing that??

I guess in this case, if it was "just" a ToS violation, they would not have forwarded it along to authorities, but may have if they felt (in their opinion) there was illegal activity? Would they do that without any communication with the user?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

geekalot said: What did they do with that info?

I feel for you, man, but even I am not so paranoid. That would mean some work and trouble for them, unless it was asked ("nicely" or legally with a court order), they wouldnt shoot themselves in the foot. NSA has other honeypots, dont worry.

• geekalot said: What did they do with that info? Did they securely destroy it? Or, is there a Data Retention law where they have the data stored that prevents them from doing that??

its probably in the hands of the NSA/MPAA/RIAA now anyway lol.

• Brad said: I think we should all stop tagging Dave now.

>

Yeah, let's stop tagging @DaveA

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited April 2014

@Maounique said:
    I feel for you, man, but even I am not so paranoid. That would mean some work and trouble for them, unless it was asked ("nicely" or legally with a court order), they wouldnt shoot themselves in the foot. NSA has other honeypots, dont worry.

>

@Maounique: And funny, all this time I thought we were kindred spirits in the paranoia department. I do see from some of your revealing recent posts that you have left the brotherhood .... may have to revoke your paranoia card. :-p

@TarZZ92: I wasn't really getting at the NSA angle ... I was getting at the PCI Compliance angle. (Reference this discussion: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/492543/#Comment_492543 and http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/492837/#Comment_492837)

BTW, I am not absolving the OP of their responsibility to follow a Provider's ToS .... or the law; I am just not absolving this Provider of their irresponsibility in collecting/storing Cardholder data.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • tommytommy Member

mpkossen said: With all due respect, but wouldn't it be better to contact support about this? Or did you already try that?

I already got the answer

We do not examine data on user VPSs. We received multiple DMCA notices against this user.

• tommytommy Member

Nekki said: Any folks read the Vultr T&C's before buying?

Yes, I read t c before buying from vultr.

• Wow if he received DMCA notices and didnt forward them he's breaking the law himself and must suspend his company for DMCA violation - LOL

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited April 2014

@DaveA so whats the word brotha ?

@OpZe are you going to request sight of those DMCA's ? i think you should.

• Ok, I'm going to be "that guy".

Yes it does seem reasonable. It's in their ToS that they have the right. The fact that you mixed business with pleasure is no excuse.

Ask for a backup of your business VM's. That's all you reasonably should be allowed for.

Honestly, it's really easy to tell if someone's using BitTorrent, even if they're not on a public tracker.

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@princeshoko said:
    Wow if he received DMCA notices and didnt forward them he's breaking the law himself and must suspend his company for DMCA violation - LOL

Can you source that? Honestly interested.

• Why are a lot of you asking for Dave to make a public reply to a private contractual matter? It's just not necessary. OP admits in public to downloading that which he doesn't have rights to (the "shows"). Vultr applies the TOS and AUP and eliminates him (for those of you who say torrents aren't in the TOS- read the AUP that it references and the fact you can't knowingly download, etc etc section I.). OP admits he was wrong. Now everyone keeps posting and rambling on. Its over- he violated TOS, he lost. nothing to see here. Move along.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm with @Rallias. Comms for Vultr clearly could be better, but the strong indication here was that the OP was undertaking an illegal activity and got caught out. Doing it on the same account client service is highly unprofessional, so hopefully a lesson learned here.

Thanked by 2netomx tux
  • LeeLee Veteran

Just_A_Noob said: Why are a lot of you asking for Dave to make a public reply

This is LET, you are guilty of whatever you are accused of unless you come here and reply. It's the law!

Thanked by 2mpkossen tux
  • If there were multiple DMCAs it would have been nice if they'd informed OP on the first one. Obviously OP is in the wrong here but I wonder how close to their chest Vultr would hold your data if it came down to it? I would personally like to know about any legal complaints made against one of my services.

I suppose it's hard to find any hosts worth trusting though nowadays (not that it was ever much better, just less accessible financially ;P)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

AThomasHowe said: I suppose it's hard to find any hosts worth trusting though nowadays (not that it was ever much better, just less accessible financially ;P)

In all fairness, at this stage we only have the OP's version of events, the truth my well be much more damning; lets face it, if he was prepared to run torrents on the same account as he ran customer nodes, who knows what else he may have been doing.

Again, potentially crap comms from Vultr, but let's not condemn them just yet.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Yeah I'm not denying that, just makes you wonder.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

AThomasHowe said: Yeah I'm not denying that, just makes you wonder.

Absolutely; it's an awkward situation for Vultr, I'm not sure whether they're better off talking about the situation or keeping a low profile on this one.

• lazytlazyt Member

Looks like a lose lose situation. If they don't talk people will complain. If they say anything people will scream "I don't believe they released that information."

• all it would take is 1 reply from @DaveA and this thread would die down and disappear...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

darkshire said: all it would take is 1 reply from @DaveA and this thread would die down and disappear...

Do you really think so? No matter which way it comes down, there will be fallout.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nekki said: Absolutely; it's an awkward situation for Vultr, I'm not sure whether they're better off talking about the situation or keeping a low profile on this one.

I think a clarification on their position on the law would do. Obviously they follow it but what's their compliance procedure?

lazyt said: If they say anything people will scream "I don't believe they released that information."

Personally i would be concerned about what the didn't release (again, assuming OP is telling the truth) about multiple DMCAs.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

It's possible there were no DCMA's, but instead they have provisions in place for detecting 'prohibited' materials.

I seem to remember some time ago a couple of providers talked about measures they used - this included running scripts looking for specific filenames (I think the example was the filename of the latest episode of Dexter at the time), without actually looking at the VPS itself. Perhaps Vultr are doing the same, and spotted the last 3 eps of Game of Thrones?

Conjecture on my part, but it seems a sensible precaution to take.

• Sounds a little bit strict to me, most providers would probably let it pass for the first accident and warn you. Either way, since you broke their AUP they have every right to terminate your business relationship with you. They possibly see you as an abusive client and don't want to bother with you anymore.

• Torrenting can be detected at the network level by analyzing the netflow export data from the routers. You can't know what is torrented though, it could be a perfectly legit linux distribution ISO for instance.

• rds100 said: Torrenting can be detected at the network level by analyzing the netflow export data from the routers. You can't know what is torrented though, it could be a perfectly legit linux distribution ISO for instance.

You could look for private tracker announce URLs though (or public ones if you wanted to be cautious).

@Nekki yeah it's hard to say. I am not even a Vultr customer so they don't have to appease me anyway, it'd just be nice to get clarification. I suppose the fact they don't want to get involved in the petty bs could work in their favour too.

• ive got a Vultr instance just spun up now and im seeding 8 linux distros; mostly variations on the new ubuntu 14.04.
    lets see what happens.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Makkesk8 said:
    just go with ovh if you are doing any torrenting... :E

OVH does terminate servers for torrenting too, without warning.

• Guys stop bashing Vultr they allow torrent downloading i created a ticket regarding torrent downloading and here is there reply "Torrent downloading is not forbidden, however we will take action when DMCA notices are received".