Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker

Does anyone here use Docker on their VPS? I've only just found out about it and find it interesting (though I haven't played with it yet). I was thinking it must be a good method of deploying a LEMP/LAMP stack, adding websites then being able to backup the entire container. Or do you think this is overkill?

Comments

• I run it on my Mac, it works great (sad about Virtualbox only support though)

• I do use it on 2 of my KVM VPS. It works perfectly fine for what it's intended to be used for (would be perfect for your LAMP/LEMP stacks). If you want to backup the entire container, I suggest you take a look at the "volume" feature of Docker (to manage your data) and I recommend using the AUFS backend (Ubuntu/Debian) since it's much easier to manage container files from the outside than using other backends (LVM thin-provisioning, BTRFS, etc).

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

Not sure about it but I've heard that it uses non-persistent storage? So is the data saved to an external location outside the virtualized environment?

• That's what the "volume" feature is used for. By default, the data is in the container and if you delete it, you lose the data. Volumes give you the option to mount external location into your container and/or share disk with other containers. It's actually quite flexible...