Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you offer IPv6 yet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't you offer IPv6 yet?

taiprestaipres Member
edited May 2012 in General

Next month is World IPv6 Launch(this time it's for good) and I hope you providers who aren't IPv6 ready yet get there soon. Especially since according to https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html this is the last year part of the fees will be waived.

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

I feel as if NOBODY is really ready at all.

• vps6netvps6net Member

We have it ready across our USA locations, just haven't put the final bit of work into routing assignments to the different networks. Everything should be good to go before next month.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited May 2012

Because I have more than enough IPv4 addresses, have only been asked by two people ever if I offered it, and up until three days ago Charter (my ISP) didn't provide it, which made it a pain in my ass. Unless a ton of people suddenly start asking me for it, I have no plans to offer it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

When we have room in our budget for it (probably at renewal time next year).

• rds100rds100 Member

@KuJoe yeah, ARIN's pricing for ipv6 allocations sux big time. One would have thought that they would want to push for more ipv6 deployment, i.e. by putting some very low fee for ipv6 blocks...

@rds100 It's not bad if you have an IPv4 block bigger than a /20 but since we don't, IPv6 is double the price if we want it. :(

• rds100rds100 Member

They should make it something like $100 to encourage deployment.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

Well i'm a big fan of IPv6, and am happy many sites are already IPv6 ready(Facebook, Google etc...) I also don't understand why IPv6 allocations are so expensive, short of Arin are greedy and just looking for big pay days. It's not like there aren't plenty of IPv6's... I think they should be handing them out like candy. For the users who don't know how big IPv6 is

the # of IPv6's

vs # of IPv4

Lol...pretty big difference billion vs undecillion. For client side I use gogo6 to connect to things via IPv6, though one could use HE too(harder to setup, gogo6 is few clicks)

• @rds100: I think they should give rewards like $100 for each successful application to encourage deployment. :)

Thanked by 1beard
  • SpencerSpencer Member

I think it is ridiculous how many they give out for standard for dedicated servers and such. For example I have a dedicated server and I have a /64 of IPv6. That is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs. There is no need for that many IP.

• taiprestaipres Member

@PytoHost said: I think it is ridiculous how many they give out for standard for dedicated servers and such. For example I have a dedicated server and I have a /64 of IPv6. That is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs. There is no need for that many IP.

Haha I disagree sir, that's proxy love :)

• edited May 2012

Oh yea, I need to remember to pick up fireworks for IPv6 day. :)

We have had native IPv6 on all of our VPS's since the beginning of the year.

edited May 2012

@taipres said: though one could use HE too

I setup tunnelbroker on my router but it stops working after a week or so for some reason. I've rewrote the scripts and configs multiple times without any luck either. I ended up just removing it all together and my network speeds actually improved (for IPv4). I'm tempted to use my tunnelbroker account for SD but I've read that people aren't fans of providers with IPv6 tunnels.

• yomeroyomero Member

@KuJoe said: but I've read that people aren't fans of providers with IPv6 tunnels.

And other people thinks is better than nothing :P

(btw, I don't care about ipv6 lol)

• taiprestaipres Member

@KuJoe said: I setup tunnelbroker on my router but it stops working after a week or so for some reason. I've rewrote the scripts and configs multiple times without any luck either. I ended up just removing it all together and my network speeds actually improved (for IPv4). I'm tempted to use my tunnelbroker account for SD but I've read that people aren't fans of providers with IPv6 tunnels.

You should give Gogo6 a try, few clicks and its working, also has various tunnels you can choose, though the default is the best. Anyway if you're determined to use tunnelbroker I recommend #IPv6 on freenode, those guys absolutely love talking about anything Ipv6 related and i'm sure can figure out why TB isn't working for you. In fact they have at least one ex-HE employee in there(broquea).

Gogo6 isn't supported by DD-WRT yet, I found SixXS instead and signing up for them now. I'll get it setup tomorrow night if I have some free time. :)

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

Currently have IPv6 setup, though haven't really seen any sites with IPv6 only support :(

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Boltersdriveer said: haven't really seen any sites with IPv6 only support

Other than some IPv6 novelty sites, why would a site be IPv6 only today? But dual stack there are plenty

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: I ended up just removing it all together and my network speeds actually improved (for IPv4).

Noticable improved? With removing IPv6 tunnel? Isn't this a bit strange? :)

@miTgiB said: Other than some IPv6 novelty sites, why would a site be IPv6 only today?

Yeah I agree, but in some rare cases (www.irc6.eu I-line request site as example) IPv6 is from some reason actually only way to enter site. In this example maybe because IPv6 subnet "ownership" verfication before they grant access.

@Spirit yes very strange, my download/uploads are about 512kbps faster without it. It makes me think that DD-WRT doesn't play well with the tunnel or my network/ISP is screwy.

• @Spirit said: Noticable improved? With removing IPv6 tunnel? Isn't this a bit strange? :)

Nope, i've had the same issue. With IPv6 enabled the browser always tries to connect via IPv6 first if theres an AAAA record, the problem is that many AAAA records aren't properly setup so the IPv6 connection will fail. Also i don't think there are many CDNs using IPv6.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@gsrdgrdghd yeah LET had this unproper AAAA setup some short time however Joe is talking about line speed not web site access delay if I understand him correct.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Nope, i've had the same issue. With IPv6 enabled the browser always tries to connect via IPv6 first if theres an AAAA record,

Fortunately, there's a nice workaround for this that will make your system take v4 first over v6.

Thanked by 3Spirit gsrdgrdghd dirk

@Spirit is correct, unless Speedtest.net favors IPv6 over IPv4.