Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best offshore locations for a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best offshore locations for a VPS?

nooknook Member

Hello,

What offshore locations would you guys recommend, except from the obvious one: Netherlands.

Thanks

Comments

• MrXMrX Member

Offshore from where? For what purpose? How much money are you willing to spend?

• Main question, why offshore and offshore from what?

• Maybe Mr Billoh can set you up on one of his yachts ;)

(Yeah, you need to be more specific)

• nooknook Member
    edited April 2014

@MrX said:

Non US-locations in Europe offshore in terms of DMCA non-compliant

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited April 2014

nook said: Non US-locations in Europe offshore in terms of DMCA non-compliant

All non-US locations are DMCA non-compliant. Of course you still need to stay within the legal boundaries of the location. So it really comes down to what you want to do.

Thanked by 1nook
  • Privacy wise, I chose Iceland and Switzerland.

Thanked by 2nook perennate
  • I think the best place as offshore is Russia, but Russian servers in general are expensive. Other good option is Netherlands, they are some what ok with offshore server.

Thanked by 1nook
  • @0xdragon said:
    Privacy wise, I chose Iceland and Switzerland.

Do you know of any? Switzerland to be more specific.

• nooknook Member
    edited April 2014

@neroux said:
    All non-US locations are DMCA non-compliant. Of course you still need to stay within the legal boundaries of the location. So it really comes down to what you want to do.

Yes but certain hosts even out of the US may sometimes be compliant... I was particularly looking at Belarus and Ukraine hosting, does anyone have experience with it?

• nooknook Member
    edited April 2014

@GelHost said:
    I think the best place as offshore is Russia, but Russian servers in general are expensive. Other good option is Netherlands, they are some what ok with offshore server.

Yes but now that they have introduced stricter internet censorship laws it no longer is the haven it used to be...

• nooknook Member

@MrX said:

Mainly looking at: Romania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova...

• @nook said:
    Yes but now that they have introduced stricter internet censorship laws it no longer is the haven it used to be...

True, I think there is couple of datacenter that really don't care about DMCA. I guess all others are pretty strict about it now.

• akzakz Member

Romania is pretty good cheap and DMCA non-compliant.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited April 2014

@nook said:
    Yes but certain hosts even out of the US may sometimes be compliant... I was particularly looking at Belarus and Ukraine hosting, does anyone have experience with it?

But thats a ToS issue and not a legal one.

Have a look at edis.at, they cover Switzerland and Austria. Both somewhat lenient.

Thanked by 1nook
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@nook said:
    Mainly looking at: Romania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova...

What about http://vps6.net/ then? I'm not sure whatever they are reliable or not, but you might wanna look into them. They are with Voxility iirc.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited April 2014

@george said:
    Do you know of any? Switzerland to be more specific.

BlueVM had one space left and I grabbed it in Switzerland. AFAIK they're completely out of space now (I bought this about 7 days ago). I had to ticket in to ask.

KVM (BLUE-3)

1GB Guaranteed RAM

3 CPU Cores (KVM)

1 IP Address

30GB Disk Space

2TB Bandwidth

$37/year

I know, it's a damned killer deal ^.^

• @0xdragon said:
    I know, it's a damned killer deal ^.^

Looks good, I assume there won't be too many decent providers out there. I could be wrong though.

• Whichever DC EDIS use in Sweden

I think Spain is safe too.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Whichever DC EDIS use in Sweden

What makes you say Sweden? I'm just curious.

• @george said:

A large majority of the providers in Switzerland are extremely highly priced (which is to be expected, of course).

As for Sweden, I do believe that ther internet freedom is much worse than other countries. Don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong :)

• akzakz Member

@hostnoob said:
    Whichever DC EDIS use in Sweden

doesnt EDIS comply to DCMA regardless of location?

• akz said: doesnt EDIS comply to DCMA regardless of location?

Quite the opposite actually. Except for their US locations of course.

For all others, no DMCA obligations.

• akzakz Member

@neroux said:
    For all others, no DMCA obligations.

good to know, I was interested in one of their offers but their TOS at the time seemed to be regardless of location. Maybe I was just up too late lol

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I've got a containers in Russia and Switzerland specifically for privacy purposes. The Swiss one isn't the best, but the Russian one is actually really good for the price.

Thanked by 1nook
  • @george said:

Got a box there and never had DMCA trouble

• nooknook Member

@Nekki said:
    I've got a containers in Russia and Switzerland specifically for privacy purposes. The Swiss one isn't the best, but the Russian one is actually really good for the price.

Who are you with in RU?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nook said:
    Who are you with in RU?

NQHost

Thanked by 2nook ben78
  • nooknook Member

@Nekki said:

And in Switzerland?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nook said:
    And in Switzerland?

BlueVM, one of the $15 specials. Not the best VPS I've had, but you really can't argue with Switzerland for a little over a dollar a month.

Thanked by 1nook
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@nook One more country that comes to mind is Czech Republic.

Thanked by 1nook