Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone need backup space in the UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone need backup space in the UK?

specklspeckl Member
edited May 2012 in General

We are working on server specs and want to know what people are looking for.
These would be comparable packages you find from other LET providers.

Just looking for about 10 commits before pushing the green button on this.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome!

Comments

• Well, BW in the UK is expensive from what I see, but I assume DCs are always happy to accept more incoming than outgoing?

I'm in the US but have a number of VPSs in Europe and in general don't much care about where the data is as long as its safe :).

Care to speculate briefly about one or two "for example" plans?

• DanielMDanielM Member

@quirkyquark said: Well, BW in the UK is expensive from what I see, but I assume DCs are always happy to accept more incoming than outgoing?

Nah it aint. Its just some providers like to take customers for a ride (Aka rip-off the customer)

• DanielMDanielM Member

And it depends on your pricing, just remember there is a lot of competition, For example livedrive offers 2TB With backup, ftp access, web dav, sftp access. etc

http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/ProSuite

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DanielM said: And it depends on your pricing, just remember there is a lot of competition, For example livedrive offers 2TB With backup, ftp access, web dav, sftp access. etc

Two things:

(1) LiveDrive is PC/Mac only, so for someone hoping to backup a Linux VPS, it's useless.

(2) Why does LiveDrive have Undercover Brother for a mascot?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@raindog308 said: (2) Why does LiveDrive have Undercover Brother for a mascot?

HAHA maybe these two are related http://bit.ly/JMTNM4

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • DanielMDanielM Member

@raindog308 said: (1) LiveDrive is PC/Mac only, so for someone hoping to backup a Linux VPS, it's useless.

You can still use FTP,Webdav And SFTP and web briefcase on linux though...

• specklspeckl Member

LiveDrive is not the competition for all of us. It's basically in the same boat as Google Drive and the like.

Do you guys have any preferences for sizes needed? For instance, is there a specific size point that meets most needs? (50, 100, 250gb)?

@DanielM said: You can still use FTP,Webdav And SFTP and web briefcase on linux though...

Oh sorry, didn't see that. Ignore my ignorance.

$24.95 for 5TB of space? Hmmm....

• @speckl said: For instance, is there a specific size point that meets most needs? (50, 100, 250gb)?

All of the above? :p

But yes, I'd certainly start at 50.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

As people mentioned, you'll have to compete with some of the large 'storage' companies, so you should probably wrap it inside of a VM, possibly XEN/KVM :)

Francisco

• TaylorTaylor Member

I would like to see a low plan starting at around 10GB :/ but then again I do not care where my data is as long as it's safe as I hope not to need it.

• @Francisco said: XEN/KVM

XEN and KVM is a must for back up virtual servers.

@BassHost said: XEN and KVM is a must for back up virtual servers.

Preferred by you (and me) perhaps, but...a MUST?

Hostigation and SD both use ovz. I think BuyVM does too...

• DoznDozn Member

@raindog308 BuyVM is KVM, but I agree, definitely not a "must".

@BassHost said: XEN and KVM is a must for back up virtual servers.

The only reason i'd favor the 'must' column is just because some people want to use a pre-fab NAS/etc setup like freenas or openfiler.

I'd all around be scared of having 20TB in a single ext3/ext4 partition and your node ever panics/hard crashes and you're in FSCK hell.

Francisco

• @raindog308 said: Preferred by you (and me) perhaps, but...a MUST?

Hostigation and SD both use ovz. I think BuyVM does too...

overselling.

@BassHost said: overselling.

I doubt either of them are overselling their storage, I'd be scared of doing that.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I'd all around be scared of having 20TB in a single ext3/ext4

When the ploop feature matures perhaps that won't be a concern with OVZ?

• @Francisco said: I doubt either of them are overselling their storage, I'd be scared of doing that.

Francisco

same here. But, as a customer I would demand kvm/xen for a back up vps.

• specklspeckl Member

We are looking to provide full root to vps in the storage node. Helps with setting crons, installing certain software, etc. I personally hate having a backup provider that requires specific software to work.

As for OVZ or Xen, overselling wouldn't be the issue. However, OVZ is more easily expandable if a user requires a quick change. We haven't decided on either of the two just yet, but it seems most would prefer Xen just because of its guaranteed nature.