Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFS / Fuse on OpenVZ VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NFS / Fuse on OpenVZ VPS

I'm running CentOS 6.5 on a spare OpenVZ virtual server and I've been
playing around with trying to make it offer up an NFS share, but to no
avail. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible? I'm presuming
that the kernel NFS module is not built into the kernel which is provided.
(As an aside, can anyone tell me how to list the modules that a kernel has
been built with?) I can't very well modprobe a module in OpenVZ, can I?
So, is it safe to say that without moving to something like a KVM server
NFS is out of the question? (I think there may be a user-level NFS
package, although I couldn't find it for CentOS.)

Same question, more or less, for Fuse: How can I tell if the kernel
module is built into the running kernel, and without it, I can't run
anything that relies on Fuse, right?

Any ideas?

Comments

• A lot of hosts will probably enable the module for you if you ask nicely in a ticket. SecureDragon's Wyvern control panel has an option to enable it yourself so I assume others probably do too.

You are right, you can't add your own modules as openvz shares the kernel across all VMs. You can also not do lsmod or check /proc/modules outside the host container afaik.

• FUSE you can do if your provider loads the module on the HN and enables it for your VPS. NFS I haven't found a solution for.

• To check for the availability of FUSE in your OpenVZ container, run this:

# ls -l /dev/fuse
    ls: cannot access /dev/fuse: No such file or directory

The above output means that the OpenVZ VPS container is not authorized to use FUSE.

# ls -l /dev/fuse
    crw-rw---T 1 root fuse 10, 229 Apr 4 05:08 /dev/fuse

The above output means that the OpenVZ VPS container IS authorized to use FUSE.

• Hostnode needs NFS module enabled and your provider could theoreticly enable NFS for your VZ container with:

--features "nfs:on"

• Thanks to everyone who responded for your helpful input.

@hwdsl2: The /dev/fuse entry exists, but is not marked 'T'. Also, there are no ancillary software (e.g., fusermount) provided, so I suspect it is simply something that is not provided in my VM. I could request the provider provide it, but it's really not that important.

Thanks again!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

topcat said: I could request the provider provide it, but it's really not that important.

It's not like asking provider to enable it on your VM is a big deal, you just have to go to their website and open a ticket o_O

Some providers (e.g. I think BuyVM) enable it by default.