Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[USA, FL] SecureDragon allows IRC?! Run your IRC client for $0.99/mo!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[USA, FL] SecureDragon allows IRC?! Run your IRC client for $0.99/mo!

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited May 2012 in Offers

Yup, we just changed our TOS to allow IRC on our network (only clients at this time, no servers). We also have some new security in place so that DDOS attacks will no longer impact other clients on the network (good timing right?) so no need to worry about sharing a node with "bad neighbors".

Looking for a place to park your IRC client? Grab one of our O32 or O64 plans and get $2 off (recurring) using the promotion code: IRCME

O32 - 32MB/64MB RAM, 2GB Disk, 100GB Bandwidth, 1 IPv4 Address, 1 CPU Core = $11.90/YEAR
O64 - 64MB/128MB RAM, 3GB Disk, 100GB Bandwidth, 1 IPv4 Address, 1 CPU Core = $13.90/YEAR

Interested in another plan or service instead? Get 25% off your first 2 invoices using promotion code: 25ALL (ANY PLAN! ANY TERM!)

Both promotions have a limited number of uses and expire (check out our specials page for expiration date).

And for the basics...
Test IP: 199.167.29.3
Test File: 199.167.29.3/100MB.zip
Data Center: E Solutions (Tampa, FL)
IPv6: Not at this time.
IRC: YES (clients only)
TOR: Nope.
Torrents: Nope.
Spam: Nope.
TUN/TAP (OpenVPN): Yup, you can enable this in SolusVM.
PPTP: Yup, you can enable this in SolusVM.
rDNS: Yup, set it in SolusVM
Anything else: SecureDragon.net
Anything else: SD KB
Anything else: Ask away.

Thanked by 1Aldryic

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

Realy condering getting a 32MB for some vpn, that should be enough for 1 user shouldn't it?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

That's what I use and I'm always on Netflix at work. :)

• TaylorTaylor Member

@KuJoe said: That's what I use and I'm always on Netflix at work. :)

>

I some how managed to mess up the coupon, submitting a ticket.

I think there is a problem with WHMCS, you're the second person it's applied the coupon in your account, but not your invoice. I'll fix it and try to find out what's causing that to happen.

• yomeroyomero Member

I am sad because you don't allow gameservers anymore Q_Q
    So, now I just do webserving in my box u_u

@DotVPS said: @KuJoe X5355 seems a little old do you plan to upgrade soon or waiting till they die?

We're still buying them and they're still running strong. ;)

• bobbybobby Member

What if I go over the 100gb/month bw limit (my "worst" month so far with netflix was ~120gb)? I'm thinking of switching from my current.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@DotVPS said: Why do you use netflix? I've never tried it and why do you need a VPN for it?

>

I believe the american netflix has more content.

@bobby said: What if I go over the 100gb/month bw limit (my "worst" month so far with netflix was ~120gb)? I'm thinking of switching from my current.

Your VPS is suspended automatically to prevent overages but you can purchase an additional 100GB at $0.40/month ($4.80/year).

@DotVPS said: Why do you use netflix? I've never tried it and why do you need a VPN for it?

I use it to watch movies and TV shows since we don't have cable. I use a VPN when I'm at work for security, full access (work firewall blocks a lot of ports due to government regulations but VPNs are allowed since we have a lot of contractors/vendors who need to VPN to access their company's network), and anonymity.

@DotVPS said: Ah but you still have to pay for it ect?

Yes, I think it's about $10/month now.

• cedriccedric Member

Can I get the coupon added to my existing service? :P

@cedric said: Can I get the coupon added to my existing service? :P

LoL, if we did that we'd run out of promotions without selling anything. :P

• bobbybobby Member

Thanks for answering, but thats too harsh on vpn clients :)

• @KuJoe said: We also have some new security in place so that DDOS attacks will no longer impact other clients on the network (good timing right?)

Auto-nullroute?

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Is the 'IRCME' coupon ongoing?

(I am trying to see the advantage of that over the '25ALL' coupon which lowers the O64 plan to $11.93 for atleast 2 years).

Any chance of stacking? Would love to grab a sub $10 plan :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@KuJoe based on your experience/testing, with very tight configuration, is it possible to run nginx and php (maybe no mysql?) on 32mb ovz?

@dmmcintyre3 said: Auto-nullroute?

Maybe... ;)

@BluBoy said: Is the 'IRCME' coupon ongoing?

Yup, for the life of the account.

@jcaleb said: is it possible to run nginx and php (maybe no mysql?) on 32mb ovz?

Yes, definitely possible. My 32MB VPS is using 9MB right now and that's with Lighttpd and PPTP (nginx should be about the same or lower).

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@KuJoe if i plan to have a blog with very low end server, could you give some pointers? Much of the tutorials around eats 40mb+ on xen, worst on ovz.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

@jcaleb said: could you give some pointers?

See here for a great starter: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

For what it's worth... I have just signed up for the O64 plan and more than happy thus far.
    Provisioning was instant, passwords were filtered out of emails (arrggh, it annoys me when people email me my own password!), default OS appears to be Debian 6 (running apache, saslauthd, ssh and bash), this is the first time I have seen a SolusVM control panel that actually functions 100% (others are missing some things, or have broken images/scripts) ... Nice start... Lets see what it's running under the hood!

"# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model\ name

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz"

"# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.37313 s, 146 MB/s"

--2012-05-08 14:07:42-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'
    100%[=================>] 104,857,600 31.1M/s in 3.6s"

"# free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 128 15 112 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 15 112
    Swap: 0 0 0"

TL;DR: In short, incredible stats for $1 a month!

@BluBoy said: TL;DR: In short, incredible stats for $1 a month!

Thanks! I could have sworn I setup the default OS as our Debian 6 minimal template (about 7MB of RAM). I just fixed this for future orders.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@KuJoe said: I just fixed this for future orders.

Thats good, I noticed I was using my burst ram idling before I re imaged.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

@KuJoe said: Thanks! I could have sworn I setup the default OS as our Debian 6 minimal template (about 7MB of RAM). I just fixed this for future orders.

... Hahaha, I find this out AFTER going through and fixing it myself!

$ free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 128 5 122 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 5 122
    Swap: 0 0 0

(Running a VPN server with a connection on it)

$ df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs 3.0G 250M 2.8G 9% /

(About a quarter of that is vi, apt and perl... Could be cleaned further, but I use them a fair bit!)

@BluBoy Wow! Did you use any of the "minimal" scripts out there?

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Not, just removed superfluous languages, docs (not man!), and IPv6 stuff

rm -rf /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

rm -rf /usr/share/man/??
    rm -rf /usr/share/man/??_*
    rm -rf /usr/share/doc/*/copyright*
    rm -rf /lib/xtables/libip6t_*

Then a bunch of packages I have no need for DNS, apache, fonts, DHCP, Samba, mail (bit of an iffy thing to do) etc. I don't think all of these are in the default debian install, so not really sure why some of them are here!

apt-get remove --purge bind9 bind9-host bind9utils ca-certificates cifs-utils defoma ed fetchmail fontconfig fontconfig-config libapr1 libaprutil1 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libbind9-60 libcroco3 libcups2 libdns69 libfreetype6 libgeoip1 libgpm2 libisc62 libisccc60 libisccfg62 liblwres60 libnl1 libsasl2-2 libxapian22 libxml2 lynx-cur memtester mime-support mtools odbcinst odbcinst1debian2 procmail psutils quota rmail samba samba-common sendmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sendmail-doc sensible-mda smbfs tcsh telnet ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-core ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-freefont wide-dhcpv6-client dhcp3-client dhcp-common db4.8-util apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common ldap-utils

Also, apt-get install deborphan and localepurge to tidy it up a bit more as well.

Converted over to dropbear, and dash... And only running pptpd at this stage (to get me around a few hoops)