Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nobis/UbiquityServers = Bad?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nobis/UbiquityServers = Bad?

GunterGunter Member
edited April 2014 in General

I'm a bit confused why Nobis and Ubiquity gets such a bad reputation, as I find their Ubiquity Cloud range suitable for my needs.

Allegedly they host a large number of botnets and spammers but I couldn't find much proof that they have a higher percentage of spammers and C&C servers than say, Colocrossing or OVH.

Is it true that many of their IPs have bad reputation? Are they suitable for production use?

The Poll
  1. Is UbiquityServers suitable for production use?27 votes
    1. Yes
      48.15%
    2. No
      51.85%

Comments

• @darknyan said:
    I'm a bit confused why Nobis and Ubiquity gets such a bad reputation, as I find their Ubiquity Cloud range suitable for my needs.

Allegedly they host a large number of botnets and spammers but I couldn't find much proof that they have a higher percentage of spammers and C&C servers than say, Colocrossing or OVH.

Is it true that many of their IPs have bad reputation? Are they suitable for production use?

I've seen actions that they are working to clean up their IP ranges.

What's their cloud like performance wise?

• Depends if you get lucky enough to be on a server that doesn't get used much. I have several vpses with them and shut down half of them because of overuse. If you get one with low usage, then not too bad. And just 2 days ago there was a random ubiquity server trying to ddos one of my servers.

(Sent from my phone)

• they r absolute shit, bad support and slow connection

don t care about ip reputation really but wouldn t send any biz-critical mails from those ip s

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited April 2014

Ubiqutiy Cloud is one of the most unreliable VPS hosts I have ever used and I tried a good number of providers. Honestly their old cloud platform worked better for me than the newer KVM. I tried out the KVM not too long after they switched so its possible some of the issues might have been worked out since then.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Seems they've had a number of facility wide outages recently. Lots of activity in the WHT providers outage section.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited April 2014

Their cloud's performance is solid. I am using it. About 3 months now, no problems.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2014

My definition of "suitable for production use" is, will they be there tomorrow/next week/next year and can you trust the owners first of all.

If I do believe they won't shut down overnight, and the owners are genuine/reliable and care about the business, I would definitely consider using them for a production site (obviously keeping backups as you should with all sites) and if it's poor just move away without renewing.

If it's a company that popped up in the last week, is run by kids and has no commitments (none of their own hardware, etc..) I wouldn't use them, more because of trust than anything.

Recently, I've had one or two issues with EDIS, but you will have some small issues with all hosts eventually, and as a company they meet all my criteria and are still solid so I would happily continue to host production sites with them.

If Ubiquity do host botnets and spammers, as long as your IP is clean you should be fine anyway? I would say get a server, make sure performance is good enough (since some people will say performance is fine for hosting a static site, others will say it sucks because they have a forum with 10,000 hits/second) and as long as you keep backups go for it.

Just don't sign up for a year of hosting straight away though.