Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email and eventually App/Website sizing help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email and eventually App/Website sizing help

zell72zell72 Member

Hi,

After the Microsoft debacle with their Live Admin Domains accounts I am now looking for some advice on how I would migrate the existing three accounts and move them to a VSP.

I have had experience with setting up and administrating mail servers before (Exchange and Notes) but what I can afford to go with either of these (Office365 included).

I have some experience in BSD, Solaris, SCO Unix as well as limited experience in Linux so I think I can do most of the stuff manually. (I have had experience with Sendmail and generally know its in and outs.)

What I need is a good way of migrating the existing Windows Live Domain accounts (yes I can get admin access to all of them). I would also need some type of filtering (virus/spam, setting up Spamassassin or equivalent is not out of the question), it does not have to be brilliant but effective,

I would also need the VPS to be expandable in the future to support an Android/Windows Phone app (at the moment I do not care about DB) and maybe a website (maybe Joomla because I know it). Initial, when the app and website is available it use should only be several hundred a month going on thousands after a couple of years.

Thanks for reading, even though I have been working in the IT industry for over 25 years I still need community help to size things which are not part of my core skills, so if anybody has any idea on sizing what I would need (as well as at the moment being cheap) it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Maybe use POP3/IMAP to back them all up to a VPS for each user (could create a script or do it all manually) so long as Micro$oft provides remote access.

• Thanks, 0xdragon,

Your are correct on using POP3/IMAP as I have already been thinking of it (yes I can do it manually), but my other problem is getting them the same access as before, everybody uses Windows Phones so ActiveSync works perfectly, but since I cannot afford an Office365 account for each one at the moment I am trying to get the best result I can. So I am looking for a Linux VPS, email using the IMAP unless somebody else suggest a way of either cheaply way of using ActiveSync or the equivalent Google schema (CalDev etc) , but I am still not sure on how to size the VPS.

Thanks anyway.

• GienGien Member

Try installing sogo (see www.sogo.nu) native active sync support (according to there website)
    Or they any other exchange server alternative...

Or get some hosted exchange / hosted email

It al depends on your budget

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

OVH France offer cheap Exchange hosting. Maybe take a look at their offer? Otherwise you have Rackspace with the email hosting. You will save some time and will be more reliable.

• bobbybobby Member

Check out zimbra, its excellent

• @zell72 PM me if you need help migrating your email to your new mail server.

• Hi,
    If you can set up a basic mail server with IMAP you can install horde which will provide ActiveSync for free :D

• @zell72 said:
    After the Microsoft debacle with their Live Admin Domains accounts I am now looking for some advice on how I would migrate the existing three accounts and move them to a VSP.

How do you call that a debacle?
    What is your budget? The simplest way would probably be to get a cpanel account from someone like hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/shared) for $7/month and you can host as many domains and mailboxes as you need and have the easy to use cpanel to manage it all.
    if you need to be able to give others management access to their own domains get a LEB from a reliable provider here and a cpanel license for approx $15/month and do the same thing but you can give admin access to each domain to the respective admin.
    migration is more difficult. there are migration tools like migrationwiz.com which cost you about $10/user but do all the hard work for you. if you are on a low budget tell people to backup their email and send them the new email settings...
    cpanel has horde and roundcube and squirrelmail web clients with extra features like calendars etc and all smartphones support IMAP mail accounts.
    or you can go and learn how to set it all up yourself which is cheaper again but ery expensive for you time wise.