Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the most commonly requested things in a managed VPS service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the most commonly requested things in a managed VPS service?

Currently, I am thinking about offering a semi-managed vps service with extremely low prices. Obviously, this is extremely difficult to provide at Low End prices because of the work required.

What I'd have to do, to make this possible, is have an automatic script for 99% of all work done.

So, what are the most commonly requested things in a Managed VPS?

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2014

I'd say VPN, OwnCloud, Seedbox.

Maybe it is a nice idea to offer a selection of software that new customers could select in the order process that you would setup or perhaps make it all go automaticly. they wouldn't have to open a ticket to request it.

• @Mark_R said:
    I'd say VPN, OwnCloud, Seedbox.

Maybe it is a nice idea to offer a selection of software that new customers could select in the order process that you would setup or perhaps make it all go automaticly. they wouldn't have to open a ticket to request it.

Sounds good, I'll make a script for VPN and OwnCloud. Not sure about Seedbox yet.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Like an unmanaged managed vps. Provide them a web panel where they can do common tasks , then offer support tickets for most complicated tasks.

• @shovenose said:
    Like an unmanaged managed vps. Provide them a web panel where they can do common tasks , then offer support tickets for most complicated tasks.

I was thinking about this but it'd be very difficult to manage.

Here's what seems like the best idea to me.

1. Customer selects software that he'd like preinstalled at signup.
    2. List of all installations we do is given to customer.
    3. Customer can open a support ticket requesting any of the installations on the list.
  • @shovenose said:

I think he means what people would request in the more complicated tickets

• Yes. for example I have a Server Hardening script that installs CSF, Chrootkit, Fail2ban, and also secures SSH. (disable root user, changes ssh port, etc..)

• Just some general feedback:

• Security / Basic Hardening
    • Installation of CSF
    • Installation of cPanel / WHM
    • Custom NameServer setup
    • Unique Port ID's
    • Whitelisting of various IP's
    • SUP setup / Wheel Users
    • How to use / access SSH
    • How to use / access WHM
    • First cPanel account setup
    • Installation of Softaculous
    • Installation of Fantastico
    • Installation of RVSkin (most VPS users are liking re-selling space)
    • General Software / Program updates

I could probably list more but these are what I've seen most myself.

• @designitxxx said:
    Just some general feedback:

• Security / Basic Hardening
    • Installation of CSF
    • Installation of cPanel / WHM
    • Custom NameServer setup
    • Unique Port ID's
    • Whitelisting of various IP's
    • SUP setup / Wheel Users
    • How to use / access SSH
    • How to use / access WHM
    • First cPanel account setup
    • Installation of Softaculous
    • Installation of Fantastico
    • Installation of RVSkin (most VPS users are liking re-selling space)
    • General Software / Program updates

Thanks.

I have scripts for a few of them already. Whitelisting isn't really needed, as that's just a single CSF Command.

NameServer's I can do with Bind. cPanel and it's add ons are more problematic, because it would require a license.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    Sounds good, I'll make a script for VPN and OwnCloud. Not sure about Seedbox yet.

I've got a script for ownCloud on Debian 7 - check http://rmlh.me

• @rmlhhd said:

Owncloud installation is literally just 4 commands. (2 if you count 2-liners)

• BellaBella Member
    edited April 2014

I used to sell managed VPS's in the past and I had many customers who asked for simple things such as VNC + Desktop. I had a customer ask me to install Firefox + Flash on every box he owned (10+ Boxes).

• @imtiax said:
    I used to sell managed VPS's in the past and I had many customers who asked for simple things such as VNC + Desktop. I had a customer ask me to install Firefox + Flash on every box he owned (10+ Boxes).

VNC I will do, if a customer asked me to install Firefox + Flash I would simply tell him it's outside of the services we provide.