Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Linode Cloud: SSDs, Double RAM & much more
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The New Linode Cloud: SSDs, Double RAM & much more

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

Can u paste a snippit/quote, please?

"Google Chrome could not load the web page because blog.linode.com took too long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection."

• sonicsonic Veteran

Over the last year, and very feverishly over the past five months, we’ve been working on a really big project: a revamp of the Linode plans and our hardware and network – something we have a long history of doing over our past 11 years. But this time it’s like no other. These upgrades represent a $45MM investment, a huge amount of R&D, and some exciting changes.

SSDs

Linodes are now SSD. This is not a hybrid solution – it’s fully native SSD servers using battery-backed hardware RAID. No spinning rust! And, no consumer SSDs either – we’re using only reliable, insanely fast, datacenter-grade SSDs that won’t slow down over time. These suckers are not cheap.

40 Gbps Network

Each and every Linode host server is now connected via 40 Gbps of redundant connectivity into our core network, which itself now has an aggregate bandwidth of 160 Gbps. Linodes themselves can receive up to 40 Gbps of inbound bandwidth, and our plans now go up to 10 Gbps outbound bandwidth.

Processors

Linodes will now receive Intel’s latest high-end Ivy Bridge E5-2680.v2 full-power server-grade processors.

New Plans

We’ve doubled the RAM on all Linode plans! We’ve also aligned compute and outbound bandwidth with the cost of each plan.

In other words, the number of vCPUs you get increases as you go through the plans. And on the networking side, Linodes are now on a 40 Gbit link, with outbound bandwidth that also increases through the plans. Inbound traffic is still free and restricted only by link speed (40 Gbps).

Plan RAM SSD CPU XFER Outbound
    Bandwidth Price
    Linode 2G 48 GB 2 cores 3 TB 250 Mbps $0.03/hr | $20/mo
    Linode 4G 96 GB 4 cores 4 TB 500 Mbps $0.06/hr | $40/mo
    Linode 8G 192 GB 6 cores 8 TB 1 Gbps $0.12/hr | $80/mo
    Linode 16G 384 GB 8 cores 16 TB 2 Gbps $0.24/hr | $160/mo
    Linode 32G 768 GB 12 cores 20 TB 4 Gbps $0.48/hr | $320/mo
    Linode 48G 1152 GB 16 cores 20 TB 8 Gbps $0.72/hr | $480/mo
    Linode 64G 1536 GB 20 cores 20 TB 10 Gbps $0.96/hr | $640/mo
    Linode 96G 1920 GB 20 cores 20 TB 10 Gbps $1.44/hr | $960/mo
    And in case you missed it, we announced hourly billing recently, too.

Availability

All new Linodes will be created exclusively on the new Linode Cloud, using the new plan specs and on the new hardware and network.

Likewise, existing Linodes can upgrade free of charge via the “Pending Upgrades” link on your Linode’s Dashboard (bottom right), however there are some temporary availability delays while we work through getting hundreds of more machines in the pipeline:

New Linodes Upgrade Existing 64-bit Upgrade Existing 32-bit

Fremont, CA Yes Yes ETA 2 months
    Dallas, TX Yes Yes ETA 2 months
    Atlanta, GA Yes Yes ETA 2 months
    Newark, NJ Yes Yes ETA 2 months
    Tokyo, JP Yes ETA 3 weeks ETA 2 months
    London, UK ETA 1 week ETA 1 week ETA 2 months
    Linodes that have configuration profiles that reference 32-bit kernels will need to wait while we ramp up 32-bit compatible availability. If you don’t want to wait, you can check out our switching kernels guide, or redeploy using a 64-bit distribution.

Also, new Linodes created on the new Linode cloud can only deploy 64-bit distributions, of which we support all popular versions. If you have a special need for legacy bitness, please open a support ticket and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.

TL;DR

Linode = SSDs + Insane network + Faster processors + Double the RAM + Hourly Billing

In conclusion………

HELL YEAH!

This is the largest single investment we’ve made in the company in our almost eleven year history. We think these improvements represent the highest quality cloud hosting available, and we’re excited to offer them to you. We have always been committed to providing upgrades for our customers and are excited about continuing our focus on simplicity, performance, and support.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and for choosing us as your cloud hosting provider.

Enjoy!

• So I gain 1GB of RAM and SSD speed but lose 6 CPU cores? No deal, Linode.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • @NodePing said:
    So I gain 1GB of RAM and SSD speed but lose 6 CPU cores? No deal, Linode.

Assuming the number of instances per node isn't changed, you won't get worse performance.

In fact, I like this move. Less cores per instance means abusers will impact others less since it seems Linode doesn't kick out people hogging on CPU.

• @NodePing said:
    So I gain 1GB of RAM and SSD speed but lose 6 CPU cores? No deal, Linode.

I not need numbers cores, but hoping linode have 256MB plan :D

• 764664 said: you won't get worse performance.

We run concurrent running threads (for latency issues, not cpu power) so we will likely see a big performance hit when being pushed from 8 cores down to 2.

• NodePing said: We run concurrent running threads (for latency issues, not cpu power) so we will likely see a big performance hit when being pushed from 8 cores down to 2.

With this linode change how many more IP changes are there going to be? You seem to be switching LEB providers every week.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Attaboy linode, now you finally catched up to DO in price to specs, pat yourself on the back! Now all you need to actually compete, is to offer also 512MB and 1GB plans (yes, for $5 and $10 respectively). Having 2GB on the lowest plan makes no sense whatsoever, it's an overkill for the vast majority of uses of a VPS. So it looks like users now have the obvious migration path, don't want to pay so much for all that 2GB RAM you aren't ever going to fill? Just switch to DO.

Thanked by 1tommy
  • Spencer said: You seem to be switching LEB providers every week.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. We do IP changes at most once a month now, if there are any.

Some IP changes are pushed on us by the providers. Others because we need to switch to more stable providers to continue to give our customers the best service possible. For most our customers, the IP changes are never felt. For those who have to whitelist our probe server IPs, it's a pain. But better to have to update firewalls once a month than deal with increased false positives.

• @rm_ said:
    Attaboy linode, now you finally catched up to DO in price to specs, pat yourself on the back! Now all you need to actually compete, is to offer also 512MB and 1GB plans (yes, for $5 and $10 respectively). Having 2GB on the lowest plan makes no sense whatsoever, it's an overkill for the vast majority of uses of a VPS. So it looks like users now have the obvious migration path, don't want to pay so much for all that 2GB RAM you aren't ever going to fill? Just switch to DO.

Comparing Linode to that rached company is abomination!

• wychwych Member

@serverian said:
    Comparing Linode to that rached company is abomination!

Yeah, DO certainly seems like a media hype.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
    edited April 2014

To be fair, on the blog post comments someone asked if a 1GB plan is coming.
    and the official reply was "Stay tuned".
    So yay, looking forward to try an $10 (or less) Linode in Tokyo.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Linode is solid and this upgrade is solid too. I think they understood the trends and are steering along, I would have expected this sooner, at least 6 months ago. Hopefully, they will not stop here. If they do, migrations will continue, there are plenty of people with solid and cheaper offers.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I think they should have started the upgrade earlier. It's nice that they upgrade, but they do it in too big jumps. The server hardware and capabilities change way too fast. And Linode will now probably sit on their bottoms for 5 years, in the meantime new and new providers will be born which in 2-3 years might offer even better specs than Linode. And after 5 years Linode will decide that things are not going well and will do the next jump upgrade, for the next 5 years.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • bdtechbdtech Member
    edited April 2014

Interesting they took their response about fair share of CPU out of the FAQ which outlined server density per plan. For most the native SSDs make the number of cores moot. The RAM upgrade was crucial as they are phasing out 32bit

edited April 2014

@rds100 said:
    I think they should have started the upgrade earlier. It's nice that they upgrade, but they do it in too big jumps. The server hardware and capabilities change way too fast. And Linode will now probably sit on their bottoms for 5 years, in the meantime new and new providers will be born which in 2-3 years might offer even better specs than Linode. And after 5 years Linode will decide that things are not going well and will do the next jump upgrade, for the next 5 years.

If they sit on their hands 5 more years after this and even more upgrades, they will not last those 5 years. They will have to adapt and will, unless the board is made of monkeys, which i doubt.

• @Maounique those must be some very expensive servers and other hardware they are purchasing. Do you think it will ROI in 1 year?

• 45 million is very impressive as I'm sure it's self funded

edited April 2014

With their prices, yes. Ours do in 3 years. They should have their gear ROId in 1 year, unless they make them golden.
    If they buy so expensive that it does not ROI in 2 years with their prices then they should fire the aquisition officer(s) for taking huge bribes.
    ROI does not vary proportional with the price, the higher the price, the faster ROI goes, but not 1:1. ROI is usually some 20% of the cost in a big company with lots of staff and many other costs like Linode (I mean in this industry), if price goes up by 10%, the ROI should halve, considering all other costs are the same. Their prices went down, but compared with other providers not so much so, their ROI is still much shorter. Nowhere near 5 years.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: I think they should have started the upgrade earlier.

Linode has always been a very reactive company. For years they were extraordinarily miserly with disk, RAM, and bandwidth. They felt some heat and they increased.

Then they felt some heat from DO, etc.'s hourly offerings. So they offered hourly.

Now they've increased resources again...etc.

I've never seen Linode as a thought leader in the marketplace.

• Does linode has snapshot feature like digitalocean?
    With DigitalOcean, i can save snapshot in very low price

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited April 2014

@Maounique said:
    With their prices, yes. Ours do in 3 years. They should have their gear ROId in 1 year, unless they make them golden.

Considering this is Linode, then they should be able to profit from their existing customer base as well as their positive reputation, so yes - they should ROI in one year.

The only issue is that they're also putting aside a whole share of the VPS market; and that is the low-RAM plans. They would surely attract a lot more customers (not only from the low-end segment) if they had 512MB and 1GB plans. In that case, I suppose (although I may be wrong) they would ROI faster.

iceTwy said: the low-RAM plans. They would surely attract a lot more customers

I think their biggest fear is that the majority of their current $20/mo customers will switch to a lower plan (and yes they very well might), if they offer one.

But as it stands, there'll be just a continuous drain of cost-conscious customers to DO et al. So not clear what's worse for Linode, have a customer who pays less, or to lose them completely.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • I don't know about the 1 year ROI. $45 million in a year is roughly $4 million a month. Ok, $3.75 million to be exact. It takes a lot of $20/month payments to cover $3.75 million plus the other operating expenses.

• @rds100 said:
    I don't know about the 1 year ROI. $45 million in a year is roughly $4 million a month. Ok, $3.75 million to be exact. It takes a lot of $20/month payments to cover $3.75 million plus the other operating expenses.

That's a lot of course even for linode, ~ 200 thousands users per month on $20/m plan.

• I think $20/mo at the lowest is a brilliant move. 1- $20 customer = 4 $5 customers. And after reading about how much joy and happiness everyone has with low cost abusers they are cutting their support costs by way more than 75% by eliminating cheap abusers. Not to mention the overloading aspect- if people won't use all of the resources allocated- they can oversell their nodes- even in a conservative fashion to not abuse the users, they still will increase ROI.

Plus with lower end cost providers like ramnode, do, and vultr- maybe they really just don't want to play in that market and let those companies do what they do best while linode choses a different path.

Intelligent.

• Just_A_Noob said: I think $20/mo at the lowest is a brilliant move.

Nice to see someone gets it. Linode has stated (informally) on several occasions that they're not interested in the sub-$20/month market.

What they've done with this and the (many) previous rounds of upgrades is build brand loyalty. Existing clients are respected and are provided the same increases as new signups get. It's never a question, just login to your CP and click some buttons. That's a huge plus in this industry.

When I buy something for $5/month from a host targeting the LEB market, I always wonder what I'll have in 2 years time (the same 512MB?), and what new signups will get....

• tchentchen Member

@NodePing said:
    We run concurrent running threads (for latency issues, not cpu power) so we will likely see a big performance hit when being pushed from 8 cores down to 2.

Um... in this universe, modern OS's are pre-emptive multitasking. If your thread pool is primarily latency locked, then you do realize that you can assign multiple threads per core... ... .... ... .... .. .. ..

edited April 2014

Just_A_Noob said: 1- $20 customer = 4 $5 customers.

You dooooon't get it, it also means 4x less chance someone will start on a cheap plan and then upgrade to a higher one as the popularity of their website/service rises, 4x less apps and various cute and useful things developed around your API, 4x less chance someone will try you out for a personal blog at $5 and then recommend it for use at work for multiple $40 VPSes... etc etc etc.

4x less customers means 4x less mindshare.

• mindshare != Revenue share when you factor in all of the support costs for your $5/mo non long term contract, cute application vpn so I can get BCC/Netflix/cbc or cute application so I can hammer port 25 user. And if my work requirements are similar to my blog requirements- that's a problem. Work tents to need high availability failover etc etc. Don't really see the need for most personal blogs. Good thread on all this at hacker news as well.