Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What anti-virus programs do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What anti-virus programs do you use?

infectedinfected Member
edited April 2014 in General

As above stated..also include a reason why.

I'm using on all my laptops where I have windows 7/8 on it , Security Essentials as its just the best in things of perfomance and also I think microsoft self knows whats best for their O.S

By the way, looking for my office for a new Antivir prog since Security Essentials won't be supported anymore for XP and we still have a bunch of XP's here. Should be lightweigthy , can be freeware or premium.

thanks.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

Id move away from XP and stick with Security Essentials on the new OS.

You do know MS ended public support for the XP not too long ago...

• nod32 is very lightweight if you can afford it. avast free is alright. avg free comes w/ too many advertising stuff.

Install xubuntu or ubuntu, no worry about virus anymore.

• Common sense is your best antivirus. Windows malware removal and firewall just does fine and considering all security essentials will be withdrawing from xp. Just dont download and run any suspicious files. If you must then run it inside sandbox/vm

• wychwych Member

@namhuy said:
    nod32 is very lightweight if you can afford it. avast free is alright. avg free comes w/ too many advertising stuff.

Install xubuntu or ubuntu, no worry about virus anymore.

Depending on who is in his office training his staff in ubuntu may cost him more in time than upgrading Windows/Anti-Virus software.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited April 2014

zionvps said: Common sense is your best antivirus. Windows malware removal and firewall just does fine and considering all security essentials will be withdrawing from xp. Just dont download and run any suspicious files. If you must then run it inside sandbox/vm

you still can get worms if you don't have any protection on windows.

wych said: Depending on who is in his office training his staff in ubuntu may cost him more in time than upgrading Windows/Anti-Virus software.

depends on what he needs to run. if it's an office machine just word processing, why not libreoffice ?

• @namhuy said:
    you still can get worms if you don't have any protection on windows.

True, i remember in windows xp i needed to disable autorun in group policy to prevent transfer of worms as soon as thumb drive was plugged in! but i think it has been fixed in win 7 and later

• you can still get infected on almost ANY os if not setup, protected and operated properly.
    webroot is my recommendation - when it detects an unknown process it checks the applications details online and if still not 100% sure it monitors the process and journals any changes and all changes can be rolled back if it turns out to be bad.
    it can even roll cryptolocker encryption back.

• wychwych Member

@namhuy said:
    depends on what he needs to run. if it's an office machine just word word processing, why not libreoffice ?

Sure a tech savvy worker can make the switch relatively easy, a less computer literate user would require training.

• NOD32 on Windows, nothing on Linux.

• sodasoda Member

i personally never use or install any AV software in my xp windows and haven't installed it for over 6 years old but it depends on the end user's skill and knowledge, if you are so much horny to run any unknown file on your system ,it is better for you to install AV software .

i think kaspersky , nod32 , Avira , are best AV software to choose.

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited April 2014

I use Avast Free on Windows 8 + Spybot + Comodo Firewall. Also I check startup entries some time. Avast Free + Mac Firewall ( + Filevault for encryption, not AV) . Is this enough? :-P

Was using Paranoid mode on Avast 4.x where I literally monitor/whitelist every write operation on the disk. And rarely I check registry for suspicious entries.

• ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security is awesome and lightweight.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Avast and brain.exe

Thanked by 1Falco33
  • Avg internet security

• Running Emsisoft on servers and workstations over here.

Moved away from both AVG and NOD32 after using them extensively for years.

• Avast and MBAM Premium

• tomletomle Member, LIR

How do you know you don't have any virus? :)

@soda said:
    i personally never use or install any AV software in my xp windows and haven't installed it for over 6 years old but it depends on the end user's skill and knowledge, if you are so much horny to run any unknown file on your system ,it is better for you to install AV software .

i think kaspersky , nod32 , Avira , are best AV software to choose.

• @wych said:
    Depending on who is in his office training his staff in ubuntu may cost him more in time than upgrading Windows/Anti-Virus software.

Well im training them but yeah people here are general stupid in the wholesale.. the sometimes have problems turningt the PC on so I'm a bit worried but I migrated already a bunch to ubuntu, wrote a little script which disables everything and connects them automatically to our rdp via domain.

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is amazing. I have the lifetime license.

• ZshenZshen Member

Webroot or NOD32. Both very lightweight.

• sodasoda Member

@tomle , its very easy to find out if your system is infected with virus/trojan/rootkit and other shit , they are too many many simple tools to monitor and check registery/process and checking all hook on system and sometime you can check your system manually , you dont need install AV software .

AV software is only designed for people who dont know what they are doing on their systems.

• None on Linux. None on Windows..................................

VM.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't use any.

• Avast free and Mbam premium & I keep resetting my firewall every few days.

• Avast on Win 7 and Calmav on Linux

• badpatrickbadpatrick Member
    edited April 2014

Avast, Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall, Hitman on Windows.

Comodo AV on Linux Mint.

I also recommend reading:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org
    and
    https://www.virusbtn.com

• Avast + Malwarebytes

• FritzFritz Veteran

Eset Smart Security, my Hero :p

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2014

ESET Smart Security. It is very lightweight and... smart. very low false positive rate and a high real virus detection rate + it is very affordable because the first-time purchase price is low compared to the competition and if you wanna renew the license before it runs out then you get a nice 10-20% discount.

I've set my firewall at Manual to make sure that the backdoored software doesn't slip connections through the firewall by exploiting the Auto detection.

So far i'm really satisfied and have my pc running for 4-5 years without need to reformat my pc due it being breached by malware/spyware.

@zionvps is right though, common sense is a MUST if you wanna keep your system clean. I've seen alot of people who are careless with their PC security and still wonder why their bank accounts got hacked.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited April 2014

Another Linux desktop user here so I don't worry too much :)

But I service lots of Windows boxes. My current fav antivirus is the free version of Bitdefender. It's unobtrusive, low resource usage, and as effective as anything else IMO.

Avast and AVG have turned their free products into nothing more than marketing tools for the paid version. It's very misleading for unskilled users to click the wrong "upgrade" button and end up with a time-limited version of a paid product.

Malwarebytes is excellent, however it's a different breed of protection. Malware !== virus :)