Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will anyone colo a RPi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will anyone colo a RPi?

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
edited May 2012 in General

I have a website that will inform about the Raspberry Pi in Mexico. I have two of them on delivery, and I would like to host my page on a Raspberry Pi! Will anyone colo it? Thank you!

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

I think you would just have to put it in an empty server case :p then colo that

• WilliamWilliam Member

If you have a PSU for it (prefferably without plug, with a radio plug, since we use APCs):
    Yes.

Do note it needs to support autoneg to 100 on a Gbut switch or have a Gigabit NIC since we have only Gigabit switches.
    Depending on power and BW i make you a good price :p

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@William said: Depending on power and BW i make you a good price :p

Well, it will be a 5V cell charger =P. autoneg? it is a standard, isnt it? I think every card nowadays support ir. Power? max 700ma @ 5V

• 1q11q1 Member

Will Raspberry Pi make a good server?

• rds100rds100 Member

No, but it has a high geek factor.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And it will make a bonus for my RPi-fan website =P

• dwilddwild Member

@William said: If you have a PSU for it (prefferably without plug, with a radio plug, since we use APCs):

You can connect it by USB on any server :D. It's a micro-usb.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

I'm hoping to chain load to boot from a 1TB USB HD.

Then I may think of idea's.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@Daniel said: I'm hoping to chain load to boot from a 1TB USB HD.

Yeah. I was thinking about having the OS on the card and additional space via a network drive. Still it's gonna be difficult finding a DC whos not going to ask questions when you walk in with a box full of em LOL

• @BlueVM said: Yeah. I was thinking about having the OS on the card and additional space via a network drive. Still it's gonna be difficult finding a DC whos not going to ask questions when you walk in with a box full of em LOL

Just make a 1U Slot that holds around 10 of them with an inbuilt ethernet switch

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'd love to colo a bunch of these. When we get our new switches I'll look into setting 1U aside for a handful of them. :)

edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: I'd love to colo a bunch of these. When we get our new switches I'll look into setting 1U aside for a handful of them. :)

Won't be long until someone makes a 1U case for them.

I would try and make one myself, but my crafting skills are terrible.

If you need a case or other accessories, check this site http://www.modmypi.com/

• rds100rds100 Member

Maybe just buy some really cheap 1U server from ebay, remove the motherboard, etc. and then see how you can fit a switch and several of the PIs inside.

• @rds100 said: Maybe just buy some really cheap 1U server from ebay, remove the motherboard, etc. and then see how you can fit a switch and several of the PIs inside.

Or just by a case?

• rds100rds100 Member

@liam yes. Actually we don't own the building, we rent space there (although with long term notarized contract) and then we have added our own redundant cooling, big UPSes, generator, etc. - everything that is needed. However it is not a big public data center, it is a smaller one only for our own needs.

@Daniel said: I would try and make one myself, but my crafting skills are terrible.

Zip-ties + cardboard = case. :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

The main issue I see to colocate the pi is the power reset. I don't colo anything that cannot be remotely controlled (ipmi, drac, ilo, ilom, bmc, etc) :-)

• rds100rds100 Member

@prometeus I wish the PIs could be powered via PoE ...

• @prometeus said: The main issue I see to colocate the pi is the power reset. I don't colo anything that cannot be remotely controlled (ipmi, drac, ilo, ilom, bmc, etc) :-)

Does the Raspberry Pi actually have an on button?

edited May 2012

@prometeus said: The main issue I see to colocate the pi is the power reset.

I actually just looked up a way to reboot a Raspberry Pi remotely (hint, reboot USB). Making a control panel would be pretty simple. :)

Does anybody know if a RPi can be powered via USB or only via a power outlet?

@Daniel said: Does the Raspberry Pi actually have an on button?

Do you expect REAL remote hands with a few bucks colo fee I think you expect to pay for this geekdevice?

@rds100 said: I wish the PIs could be powered via PoE ...

It would be a step in the right direction, but not for me as I haven't PoE switches :-)

@KuJoe said: I actually just looked up a way to reboot a Raspberry Pi remotely (hint, reboot USB). :)

you are looking at a "managed" usb hub?

@prometeus said: you are looking at a "managed" usb hub?

I didn't think that even existed, if so then that would be a better method. LoL.

• rds100rds100 Member

I'm not sure the PI should be powered from a USB port anyway. USB ports are usually rated for 100mA or 500mA maximum current, the PI needs 700mA.

edited May 2012

@rds100 said: I'm not sure the PI should be powered from a USB port anyway. USB ports are usually rated for 100mA or 500mA maximum current, the PI needs 700mA.

Model A uses 500mA, B uses 700mA however its noted that 700mA is only needed on the Model B is using high powered USB devices, so as long as you use a powered USB hub you should be fine.

• rds100rds100 Member

Yeah, and who would want the model A, it doesn't have ethernet.

• JacobJacob Member

Well, There is not many managed usb hubs around. Quick google search churned up http://www.vecmar.com/Digi_AnywhereUSB_14_hub_14_ports_managed_rack-mountable/AW-USB-14/p/S8340156

Pros: Rack Mountable USB hub
    Cons: $1.5K

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Or, how about you get a 'master' raspberry pi, then a powered USB hub.

Connect the powered USB hub into the 'master' raspberry Pi, and then find a way to disable individual ports through the 'mater' Pi.

Raspberry Pis do not have a power button. If they're plugged in, they're on.

• @ElliotJ on some hubs you can stop the power to certain USB ports via Linux, however you would need to note which Pi is in which port since the port would just be called USB1, USB2 etc

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@Daniel said: @ElliotJ on some hubs you can stop the power to certain USB ports via Linux, however you would need to note which Pi is in which port since the port would just be called USB1, USB2 etc

Bingo! That shouldn't be too difficult, work out a few bash scripts, throw them into a PHP script, and you've got a remote power console for a Raspberry Pi :)