Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why has SpamCop blacklisted Hotmail/Outlook?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why has SpamCop blacklisted Hotmail/Outlook?

wychwych Member
edited April 2014 in Providers

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [65.55.111.173] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?65.55.111.173

I feel this will cause havoc for certain businesses and comapanies thats hosting uses SpamCop.

Comments

• Comparing dicks with Microsoft?

• wychwych Member

@rds100 said:
    Comparing dicks with Microsoft?

Point.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2014

rds100 said: Comparing dicks with Microsoft?

CISCO isn't an asshole company FYI.

Spamcop is quick to list and quick to delist as well, which is something pretty effective to a great extent.
    They have their own forums as well - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/

I've been using Spamcop RBL and its really great.

inb4 someone calls me a cisco/spamcop shill.

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    I've been using Spamcop RBL and its really great.

Yes, one of the most common free email providers is blocked for anyone using that spamlist.
    Care to share the goodside?

• wych said: Yes, one of the most common free email providers is blocked for anyone using that spamlist. Care to share the goodside?

Hotmail/outlook can only blame themselves for not looking into RBL listings.

Anyway, spamcop is quick to delist. Looking at http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=65.55.111.173 , it says 6 hours to delisting.

For businesses, they have a different IP address and stuff.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited April 2014

wych said: Care to share the goodside?

90% of my spammer signups are coming from Outlook.com now. I have already blocked all the Yahoo domains, and Gmail is generally harder to automate signups.

Most of our internal filtering we run for clients is picking up mainly outlook.com addresses now. There's been a massive increase in the use of that domain to send spam in the last 3 months. So they bloody well SHOULD be listed, Microsoft need to sort their shit out. Tighten the registration process to make it harder would be a good start.

The onus of the listing of a domain is on the domain owner. They set the policies that their users are supposed to abide by, and have controls in place to monitor adherence to those policies. Gmail limit accounts to 500 emails sent in a 24 hour period. Outlook.com does not have a limit that I know of, or it is set too high.

Seems to be a bit of preciousness around LET about spam listings. I have never had to deal with listings of my own servers or domains. For some client domains, they have had the odd malware infection with machines relaying spam. It's actually a good thing because we can actually put in outbound SMTP blocking at the firewall which we do as a site audit when we take on a new customer. Usually they baulk at it, but within 6 months a number of RBL listings and emails not going through changes their tune.

I am never going to cry over a free email provider getting RBL listed. If you want your email to work then you pay for it, or set up a system that works and is configured correctly (rDNS, SPF records, firewall outbound :25 except for mail server). Most of the people here should not care, you would have a VPS performing mail duties for you.

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    For businesses, they have a different IP address and stuff.

No they don't - well not for the free accounts, maybe for 365?

domains.live.com is the reason I found out about the blacklist; I'd be even more pissed if I paid for 365 and then got bouncebacks.

@Monsta_AU said:
    I am never going to cry over a free email provider getting RBL listed. If you want your email to work then you pay for it, or set up a system that works and is configured correctly (rDNS, SPF records, firewall outbound :25 except for mail server). Most of the people here should not care, you would have a VPS performing mail duties for you.

Fair play, your a hosting company so can understand that but for client sites etc. I can gurantee a large number of average businesses web enquiries have dropped today/last few days due to this.

• GIANT_CRAB said: CISCO isn't an asshole company FYI.

I was thinking of Spamhaus actually, i agree that Spamcom are the better guys.

• wych said: maybe for 365?

If a business cannot afford 365, they need to reconsider their business plan.

• wychwych Member

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    If a business cannot afford 365, they need to reconsider their business plan.

Not arguing with you there, I agree ;)

• GIANT_CRAB said: If a business cannot afford 365, they need to reconsider their business plan.

Usually it's not that. Most business owners are trying to cut as much cost as possible, some without knowing the risks/consequences.

• wychwych Member

@eLohkCalb said:
    Usually it's not that. Most business owners are trying to cut as much cost as possible, some without knowing the risks/consequences.

QFTW!