Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to allow trusted OpenVZ containers to access all resources?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to allow trusted OpenVZ containers to access all resources?

I have a dedicated server with 16GB RAM, 2 x 3TB (RAID 0 - i know the risks). I have installed two OpenVZ containers - each with their own dedicated IP. Since these are used only by me for dev/test/compartmentalization purpose, I dont want to restrict each of them to RAM usage and hard disk usage.

• How do I configure each OpenVZ container to be able to use all CPUs, all available RAM and full disk space of 6 TB? Are there any other restrictions I am missing?
    Also, is there a way to run 1 htop like app to monitor simultaneously host + 2 containers performance (like htop?)

Comments

• Just assign them max vcpu, highest cpu count and io priority and max ram when you are creating them.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • wychwych Member

What zion said, if your using Proxmox you can also monitor the status of the node easily via the panel.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • Have you considered LXC? I believe they can take all resources by not specifying any limits.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • hadn't really known much about lxc. thx for pointing it out. I am installing lxc on centos 6.5 following instructions . During installation at the end of step yum groupinstall core --installroot=/var/lib/libvirt/lxc/centos-6-x86_64/ --nogpgcheck -y
    I am getting error
    Running rpm_check_debug Running Transaction Test TypeError: an integer is required error: python callback <bound method RPMTransaction.callback of <yum.rpmtrans.RPMTransaction instance at 0x569e6c8>> failed, aborting! /var/lib/libvirt/lxc/centos-6-x86_64/var/lib/rpm: No such file or directory