Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting - VM not booting / customers fault - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting - VM not booting / customers fault

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

I have VPS on Nodes CA2, CA3 and CA4. The three went down for reboot and the three came back up without any issues.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Infinity580 said:
    ErawanArifNugroho you cant boot from DVD? oh i didnt know that

Sorry for my sarcasim but i am a bit pissed atm Yes Harddisk is first in boot order and the DVD is not mounted. Idk how the network can broke at reboots at KVM's and i got told reinstall it ....

What do you mean by network broken? Can you give more details? Have you checked your network interface is set to be started on boot, some default installations don't have that option on?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Let me explain that, after a reboot from client or node, eth0 dosent come up anymore. Thats what i know, VNC isnt working atm so i cant tell more. That happend 2 times in row, fresh reinstall didnt fixed it.

• blackblack Member

2 of my VMs on different nodes went down and came back up ok. Sorry to hear those that didn't.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • [Infinity580 said]eth0 dosent come up anymore. .. VNC isnt working atm so i cant tell more.

I know what you feel :) We can't fix anything if we can't connect via vnc now. If you decided to do a new reinstall again, try to use static IP in the network, don't use DHCP.

If the network still have problem, then DHCP is the last option.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

I don't recommend using DHCP @ MyCustomHosting.

• Ian_Ian_ Member

@tr1cky I hope you had a backup! Sounds like a re installation is needed.

• @Ian_ said:
    tr1cky I hope you had a backup! Sounds like a re installation is needed.

Yeah, it's fine, I guess I won't hear an apology from @MCHPhil though.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@tr1cky, What is it I need to apologize for? I send a email out about the reboot. It's regular maintenance. You could have minimized the risk of this happening by shutting your VM down prior to the host node reboot. OR simply making sure nothing hangs when you restart your VM. I have 2-3 VM's PER node and not 1 had trouble rebooting. Some are running cPanel with tons of domains (300+), some are just simple DNS servers. EVERYTHING I run is on my infrastructure. That's how I'm so confident the maintenance I performed was not the cause of the problem. I or @black or @frankz or a multitude of others would also be having issues. But it is clearly that the VM's did not shut down in a timely fashion.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • LukeTLukeT Member

MCHPhil said: minimized the risk of this happening by shutting your VM down prior to the host node reboot

You only gave like an hours notice?

• @MCHPhil said:
    tr1cky, What is it I need to apologize for? I send a email out about the reboot. It's regular maintenance. You could have minimized the risk of this happening by shutting your VM down prior to the host node reboot. OR simply making sure nothing hangs when you restart your VM.

You send an email out 30 minutes before maintenance.

And I quote:

@Ian_ said:
    Sometimes not powering off the vm's manually before a reboot can cause problems like this. Yes i seen it happen to me a couple times where I didn't manually power off all the vps's before I rebooted one of my nodes.

• MCHPhil said: I send a email out about the reboot. You could have minimized the risk of this happening by shutting your VM down prior to the host node reboot.

Is this a joke? You sent notification out few minutes before host node reboot.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

This is just cute, should have just left a few services running with a heartbleed vulnerability I guess? You could have even messaged me before hand and said hey could I have a little more time or etc. Could do that anywhere nowadays..

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited April 2014

So you heard about heartbleed vulnerability today and decided to reboot it immediately? That's the dumbest excuse I ever heard.

You could have even messaged me before hand and said hey could I have a little more time or etc.

Is this a joke again? You sent notification out few minutes before host node reboot.

• LukeTLukeT Member

Considering heartbleed has been known about for around 3 days, I'm sure more than 30 mins notice to a reboot was possible.

• LOL! Yeap rockster, today. :) Sometimes you guys are just great. Notice the sarcasm. Problem being one process from SolusVM was still sitting around. I had been playing with heartbleed against it and had it locked out via iptables.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@LukeT said:
    Considering heartbleed has been known about for around 3 days, I'm sure more than 30 mins notice to a reboot was possible.

Possible, all things are. At this price point. It's not. On a saturday at that. Maintenance is pushed to weekend to keep uptime during the week. It's a reboot for christ sakes, MOST providers here don't even tell you who really owns them let alone when they are going to reboot a node. This is just a joke.

edited April 2014

This guy seems to think that 20 - 30 minutes of time in saturday is enough that every client see his mail and power down VPS...

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@Rockster said:
    This guy seems to think that 20 - 30 minutes of time is enough that every client see his mail and power down VPS...

You clearly want the world for $15 a year.

I'm done here.

edited April 2014

MCHPhil said: You clearly want the world for $15 a year.

So now I am the problem? Why you ALWAYS and I really mean ALWAYS blame others for your own incompetency. There's like gazillion reports at LET about issues caused by you, but you didn't say "I am sorry for mess I caused" even once.

• MCHPhil said: I'm done here.

Are you done also with monthly advertising here?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@MCHPhil said: You clearly want the world for $15 a year.

I'll take (1) world for $15 a year. If I like it can I get two or three more at that same price? I hope this "world" you are renting is not too far away, not too hot or too cold, and has an atmosphere that suits me. Because if not, I will bash you on pubic forums and dispute my paypal payment to get even (evil laugh)

Thanked by 3nunim MCHPhil RLT
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited April 2014

@MCHPhil in my standard, you break it, you fix it. I'm fine if provider reboot the node without notice as long as everything works after the reboot. If you think the reboot may cause some problem for some client, you should at least give them 24 hours prepare or being noticed (not everyone can check their email every hour). I understand about heartbleed vulnerability problem, if you absolutely have to perform an urgent reboot, which you did. Giving the current problem with some vps, you should at least help your client to troubleshoot and help them out.

Nobody want to host their vps on an unsecured node, but nobody want their vps to be broken by a reboot.

Every transaction involves money is a business transaction. Even at low price, clients should deserve to get an useable service which they paid for. You can't say because you paid for x amount so you deserve x treatment.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited April 2014

@MCHPhil What's your problem? Just admit that you should have notified clients at least 24 hours before rebooting the nodes. You made a mistake, deal with it.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited April 2014

I'm done here.

So you do not value your service?

I have discussed this same thing here recently: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/530430/#Comment_530430

Whatever the situation, belittling your own products price makes no sense.

People charge what they think they are worth. If you do not think its worth selling something for $15 then dont do it.

edit* to be clear what I am discussing is not where responsibility belongs in this case. It is that price is mentioned and belittled regardless.

Thanked by 1Cltcam
  • I was thinking I should point out some things but I might stay out of this one. :)

edited April 2014

What? i ask to fix that and i need to justify myself because they said its no there fault.
    Realy? Sorry but i dont own the company and i didnt reboot my kvm :)
    Made my day

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited April 2014

@MCHPhil said: You clearly want the world for $15 a year.

You can't receive notices for node restarts with a fashionable amount of time if you only pay $15 a month? Sounds ridiculous. Phil, you're just putting yourself into a deep whole. Man up and admit your mistake. If he can't own up to his mistake, I wouldn't recommend going with this host. Who knows when something similar to this situation will happen again.

edited April 2014

He rebooted also one time and of my kvm's was broken. (disk gone as i rember)

So yah i dont know whats up there but it works at other hosts.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

You kids just cry about everything :) More crying inbound lol. Spin it any way you want. His misconfigured VM that hangs on receiving a shutdown command caused the problem. Not me rebooting the host node. Consequence of, yes. Not caused by. Find a new host if you don't like how I do business. As there are TONS of customers who love the service I offer. AND there are TONS of host who even email on a node reboot. Just a joke at the end of my day. See the reviews on my site? Must be doing something right.

This discussion has been closed.